• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

Does anyone else feel that MD will definitely cool off soon?

Why?

-slym

Just have to learn to separate the hype from actual sales and circulation numbers. When numbers are in for 4 and 5 that will tell the tale on MD it had a large drop from issue 1 to 2.

Now all that said I like the book and for once agree with the crowd of speculators here. I think its well written and the art is well above average. I think it can do well. By issue 5 or 6 we should have a real concrete idea.

Currently its just speculation driving up the prices by the same ones who are invested in the book.

Why?

-slym

That just seems to be the way that most the Image books end up... They're $10-$15 for a couple weeks, then they go back down to cover price or less

So which goon issues are hot? Just #1?

These are the ones I like:

Avatar Illustrated Summer Special ( Goon appearance predates Goon 1 )

Dreamwalker Carousel 1

Even the Dark Horse issue 1 sells for decent money.

There is a Goon prototype of sorts in Best Cellars # 1 , its quite rare, but not as important as the other early goon previews and appearances.

I would be careful on the Dreamwalker # 0. I remember hearing about that book being reprinted years later by the owner of that books rights and selling them to board members as first printings. If someone could provide that link, I think it would be very helpful. Unless i am recollecting incorectly.

i'm getting that Peter Panzerfaust feeling from MD...I don't think it's the typical Image comic. I think it will transcend just male readers and bring some female on the back of a very strong female character, Sacagawea (I actually mentioned her to a girl behind the counter of a comic store and she was like 'She's in there? i'll have to get the comic) .

Of course PP's catalyst was the tv rumblings, but I think MD stands on its own.

then again, I could be wrong and it could crash next week :lol:

Edited by krighton

Why?

-slym

Just have to learn to separate the hype from actual sales and circulation numbers. When numbers are in for 4 and 5 that will tell the tale on MD it had a large drop from issue 1 to 2.

Now all that said I like the book and for once agree with the crowd of speculators here. I think its well written and the art is well above average. I think it can do well. By issue 5 or 6 we should have a real concrete idea.

Currently its just speculation driving up the prices by the same ones who are invested in the book.

(thumbs u

Kind of crazy how the speculation gets out now before one word of the story is even read. (sometimes just a 3 page preview). For brand new creations, I understand when people go on premise+artist+writer. Sometimes it's just a now brainer, but even then some that seem like their guaranteed home-runs go nowhere. But like each month, I can EASILY pick out 10 new series that have a promising/neat/interesting premise. I'm usually surprised, out of those, say, 10 or so new series, by what others invest heavily in, or speculate on, and what gets the heavy hype and early heat.

Similarily, it's surprising as well that some of the titles, after reading, the light goes on "this should be an INSTANT hit! Huge winner", yet the title never gets heat, and then others that are so hyped,, others rave about, the heat is scorching, it's like "yeh, that was O-KAY, but nothing special (ahem, Thief of Thieves, ahem).

Side-Not, related to pre-orders which I've found interesting:

Marvel has mastered squeezing money out of pre-orders. I'm always wondering how I have so many issues of certain titles only after 2 months. After looking at the release schedule for All-New X-Factor, I see why.

Marvel's model for new titles is:

-Orders are done 2 months in advance (therefore, cancellations have a 2 month period before they kick in.

-Put out 5 titles of a new series within a 3 month span.

-By the time you've read issue #1, you are already locked in to 4-6 issues.

Snneeeaa-kkkyyy..... :insane:

I think it's a little more than that.

With regards to pre-sales, how can it not be?

I never said the variants killed Bedlam, we're more than aware it's Spencer's delays and the differences he had with Rossmo (looks like Riley was right). Was just pointing out the hypocrisy of some who complained about "all the variants" for #1, yet don't seem to have a problem with multiple variants for Sex Criminals.

I love Sex Criminals and actually prefer the variant / 2nd print covers

Name Names. :sumo:lol

I know it wasn't me! because three weeks before Bedlam came out ...

I remember driving to Detroit just to buy bedlam variants.

That book was amazing. I'd still be reading it if I could remember what was going on.

You drove WHERE?!?!?!?!

I drove to Detrorit Fan Fare and made Bank on 50 of those variants!

just remember boys and girls, If Rob Liefeld is crying at a desk about how sales have dropped on all of his books to under 300,000 - the speculative variant boom is over!

:wishluck:

Why?

-slym

When numbers are in for 4 and 5 that will tell the tale on MD it had a large drop from issue 1 to 2.

Agree waiting 5+ issues to analyze the numbers, but from #1-#2, it was only a 30% drop. This is pretty much par for most titles, from issue #1 to issue #2.

I think it's a little more than that.

With regards to pre-sales, how can it not be?

You have mad typing skills by the way.

??

The drop from #1 to #2 for MD might be less than 30% as well seeing that #1 had the Ottley variant cover. Granted we don't know how many of those exist, but if there was a couple thousand ordered then the drop to #2 was an even smaller %

The drop from #1 to #2 for MD might be less than 30% as well seeing that #1 had the Ottley variant cover. Granted we don't know how many of those exist, but if there was a couple thousand ordered then the drop to #2 was an even smaller %

^^

i'm not a flipper by any means...I normally hold too long and by that time you may as well wait it out till the end. I'm just in the grading stage right now, i'm not seeing a huge influx of Ottley's on ebay even with the increased prices.

I'm still waiting for EoW 1 to pick up some steam.

Edited by krighton

i'm not a flipper by any means...I normally hold too long and by that time you may as well wait it out till the end. I'm just in the grading stage right now, i'm not seeing a huge influx of Ottley's on ebay even with the increased prices.

I'm still waiting for EoW 1 to pick up some steam.

(thumbs u

Moi auci.

The 616 wasn't built in a day!