• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,842 posts in this topic

Here's what I think may drive the price further on Manifest Destiny:

T.V. writer + Skybound book = Eventual T.V. speculation

Plus the LBCC being 250 copies, the prices can go up very high on those ala Saga and East of West, though probably not quite that high.

Plus the LBCC being 250 copies, the prices can go up very high on those ala Saga and East of West, though probably not quite that high.

:baiting:

:baiting:

:roflmao: Just sayin'. I'll let you know if I have another extra brother

You may be right. I think the book will hold solid with or without rumors. It is a top stack book for me and I hope it stays that way.

Does anyone else feel that MD will definitely cool off soon?

Why?

That just seems to be the way that most the Image books end up... They're $10-$15 for a couple weeks, then they go back down to cover price or less

Cool - I was just curious to your reasoning.

:)

-slym

How about The Goon #1 @ $154 & 30 watchers. It's one of the most active, most expensive and most watched modern age comics on eBay and yet I rarely see anyone discussing it on these forums. hm

I've always wondered that too. Looks like it goes for a lot because of scarcity and that it's supposedly good, but ya, you never hear about the actual story much.

Is this because

a) Since it's so rare, not many people have actually read it?

or

b) It's not that great?

No, it's very good. Super fun read.

You don't hear about the story because his printing schedule in the last couple years really blows. Between hardly putting out an issue and working on a bunch of other projects (Buzzard, Chimichanga, that weird western-esque books, and so on), he has barely released any of the bread and butter.

Secondly, it seems like he let the defeat of the movie and success of the Big 2 weigh him down to the point that the only printed issues were more of spite than anything. The covers alone tell the tale. Like the cover blasting Twilight (at the time, I thought it was quite hilarious). And the random Goon Super-man Blue and Red (about a decade too late for relevance).

I'm hoping the new Hellboy-style will return it to greatness (mini series versus an on-going max). I'm hoping it's more BPRD-style than Hellboy (constant production of minis).

Pat

So which goon issues are hot? Just #1?

These are the ones I like:

Avatar Illustrated Summer Special ( Goon appearance predates Goon 1 )

Dreamwalker Carousel 1

Even the Dark Horse issue 1 sells for decent money.

There is a Goon prototype of sorts in Best Cellars # 1 , its quite rare, but not as important as the other early goon previews and appearances.

I would be careful on the Dreamwalker # 0. I remember hearing about that book being reprinted years later by the owner of that books rights and selling them to board members as first printings. If someone could provide that link, I think it would be very helpful. Unless i am recollecting incorectly.

Interesting, I hope that never happened. I thought Powell said that the character from Best Cellars was NOT a Goon prototype but I could be wrong ( and I do not have one so I endlessly pray the book crashes in value ;) ) There is another comic though, Krystal 1 which is actually the first appearance of the possible Goon Prototype. Yes it's only an ad for Best Cellars 1 but through my research it is the only comic I have found to have such an ad making it the earliest printing of Powell's Best Cellars art.

How many of the Saga RRP were there?? Was it 1000, or 500??? and you're talking about which East of West?

250 is NOTHING. Such a small number. If it ever takes off, then a 250 copy variant is going to skyrocket. Think of the not so popular, but rare titles from the 80's that are worth a lot. Even if Manifest Destiny doesn't hit Saga popularity, the sheer scarcity of that variant will make it just as valuable, if not higher (assuming the title has a good amount of popularity, i.e. 50% of Saga's).

You may be right. I think the book will hold solid with or without rumors. It is a top stack book for me and I hope it stays that way.

(thumbs u TSB!!!

It is, though, eh?

How many of the Saga RRP were there?? Was it 1000, or 500??? and you're talking about which East of West?

250 is NOTHING. Such a small number. If it ever takes off, then a 250 copy variant is going to skyrocket. Think of the not so popular, but rare titles from the 80's that are worth a lot. Even if Manifest Destiny doesn't hit Saga popularity, the sheer scarcity of that variant will make it just as valuable, if not higher (assuming the title has a good amount of popularity, i.e. 50% of Saga's).

Saga RRP - 500

East of West - Reportedly 300-ish

Saga RRP - 500

East of West - Reportedly 300-ish

That sounds right and my understanding is that the East of West is a tougher find in top condition due to distribution.

Edited by The Authority

Okay, I stand corrected somewhat. Manifesto would have to get pretty popular for the 250 variant to be close in price.

The East of West RRP is pretty awesome. It's the same add they had up for the series, and I kept wondering where that cover was going to be until they actually came out with that variant.

Fair enough, and I feel like it could reach the other two in price based and scarcity, and I have some so I have skin in the game. However, and I may be wrong, but I think the fact you alluded to that the covers for EoW and Saga are entirely different and great looking covers, not just B&W's, can factor into the MD lbcc not being quite as much as well. Although it is still a nice cover. I just wonder, what if they saved the Ottley cover for the LBCC cover? What would have happened then???

How long before people finally give up on EoW coming back around? Sellers are losing money on 9.8s currently. Raw issues are selling for cover or less.

Its a nice well written book, but many of you are living in a fantasy if you think this book is going to all of a sudden sky rocket or even appreciate a lot. I will route for it if it does because I picked up a few really cheap, but I am not holding my breath.

I wont call this a "Bedlam" train wreck, but this book along with NWM are examples here lately to pass attention too

Waits for the fireworks. From those heavily invested.

Edited by Fastballspecial

How long before people finally give up on EoW coming back around? Sellers are losing money on 9.8s currently. Raw issues are selling for cover or less.

Its a nice well written book, but many of you are living in a fantasy if you think this book is going to all of a sudden sky rocket or even appreciate a lot. I will route for it if it does because I picked up a few really cheap, but I am not holding my breath.

I wont call this a "Bedlam" train wreck, but this book along with NWM are examples here lately to pass attention too

Waits for the fireworks. From those heavily invested.

I'm not as heavily invested in EoW as most, but I guess id have to disagree. I have no evidence to support my claim here, but I think it will steadily rise...especially considering it's projected to last 50+ issues (or 16 years for those of you counting by Nowhere Men time).

It's a top seller from the LCSs in my area. IF (and only if) the book fulfils its 50+ issue projection, I think demand will be slowly driven by the quality of the story, not by tv/movie speculation...kinda like YTLM........kinda. 2c

500 Saga RRPs