• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

I would never be part of a team that would have me in it.

-slym

I'm still "mad" at you for not watching Big Trouble in Little China.

haha

Best Movie by Carpenter ever if you don't count The Thing, Dark Star, They Live, Escape From New York L.A., Starman and Vampires.

I just pulled mine earlier today. A nice 9.6 at least copy that had no watchers and no bids. I had it priced pretty aggressively, but was afraid that someone would snipe it last minute for my minimum start price. That always happens to me. I'll just wait a couple more weeks maybe and relist. How much is that in $'s???

I just pulled mine earlier today. A nice 9.6 at least copy that had no watchers and no bids. I had it priced pretty aggressively, but was afraid that someone would snipe it last minute for my minimum start price. That always happens to me. I'll just wait a couple more weeks maybe and relist. How much is that in $'s???

perhaps send it in for grading then?

or just list it as BIN so you don't have to deal with all the nonsense involved in auctions?

Your comment read as an insult though it may not have been your intention. I look at a like this. A single $5 profit is no big deal but do it a 100 times a month, you have $500. Do that 12 times a year, $6000. Do that another 4 years and you have enough to pay cash for a nice car. 2c

I give anyone credit if they are making $6000 a year off moderns, heck yeah that would be nice. I just see an eerily similarity between this new breed of speculation compared to the dark days of the 90's. Of course the print runs are way different, [b]but the buy every book in multiples regardless of content is in place. [/b]

I collect almost exclusively moderns because A) I cant afford the nice GA/SA keys, and B) it's what I was growing up with. I understand your "concern" for the market trends as by comparison to those from the 90's. However, to say that every book is boing bought out at super high print runs is over exaggeration. My LCS has a ton of books left over from various titles each week. I believe it's one of the reasons the large publishers started the buyback program where retailers can resell the books to the publishers at minimum loss.

Speculation in comics is just like speculation in anything. that is, Speculation.

I'm growing up in a generation where there won't be an Action comics #1, or Amazing Fantasy #15. Print runs are higher, comic supplies are made to boost longevity, and things like grading exist. (And yes I know there is a NEW 52 Action comics for all you smart azzes out there.) That being said, we will never see the high thousands, in some cases million dollar highs the GA/SA have hit.

I'm not going to call you a troll or say anything mean, but always be aware that when you speak/type, you are submitting your comments to mass .....wait for it...

...Speculation.

Sincerely,

Gunnz

Print runs today are actually much lower than than they were in every other age of comics. The main reason those books are rare is that they were disposable (and many golden age books were either burned or recycled during the paper drives). As long as comic collectors exist, collectible books will pop up, it just won't be the books that everyone thinks, and you are right they will never reach the height of the golden age keys, but that's ok. I don't think anyone's thinking they will put their kids through college with their modern hoard like in the early 90's.

Depends on whether they hoarded the right books or not. As crazy as it may be, based on current prices a small stack of #1s from the past decade like WD #1, Saga #1, New 52 Batman #1 etc. could do it. As long as you buy multiples of the right books for cover or just above, it could be possible. All it would take is the right long box or two of storage space. (shrug)

I am starting to finally sort through my Copper and Modern boxes and it amazes me at how much some of the early issues in runs like Saga, New 52 Batman and associated titles, mid to late 00s Marvels with movie tie-ins, etc. are going for. A long box of the right 200 - 250 books bagged and boarded can be worth $2000 - $5000 (or more) and sell readily here or on the boards, but the cost of picking them up would only be $500 or so with file discounts.

On the flip side, I am finding a ton of SA and BA common books in lower to mid grades from collection purchases that do not move at 50% of guide. :tonofbricks:

I didn't mean to say there isn't the possibility of books reaching those heights, I'm still unsure of whats going happen to TWD #1 when the show ends. Will popularity/demand die down? I dunno. I'm just a guy with a list of wants and a will to do anything to get them... anything.... like... anything...

Anyway, I'm hoping that eventually the books im spending more money on for grading etc. will at least pay for themselves in the future, but my main point in that whole rant was, buddy who posted his 2 cents needs to be more considerate of his audience.

Also, " I am finding a ton of SA and BA common books in lower to mid grades from collection purchases that do not move at 50% of guide.".....I wanna shop where you shop...

Gunnz

My 2 cents...........Disney will never let an original American art form die. Disney will diversify and continue to market the Marvel Universe for foreign markets. I can only imagine that some day Disney will make a play for D.C., Archie, Harvey or other companies. When will Disney start making "collectible" comic books for their parks? Disney loves the collectibles market. They still have their Crossgen and Malibu properties to play with. With the internet we can sell to just about anyone especially comic book fans in cities with no comic book stores. There is a new collector base growing and I think will continue to grow for comic books. I have no stats on this just a hunch. I left my job two years ago to buy and sell comic books for a living. I have never looked back.

For those of you who have had the pleasure of doing this for a living their entire lives I salute you. I have had the most fun "working" these past couple of years and God willing for the forseeable future. On a final note we may not see another Walking Dead # 1 but I think we will see a lot of Sagas. Thats good enough for me with Moderns.

Good post. Much agreed.

I saw the post on the dead pool kills the marvel universe, is it weird that my fiance got the #1 signed by stan lee?

Probably makes more sense than a lot of other books he wasn't directly involved with. I mean, a book that kills off his creations, pretty interesting to me.

So, has anyone noticed that WD#1 has been picking back up again?
I didn't realize it went down...

Yahoo posted an article about the decline of the show's quality a few weeks ago. Personally I have not enjoyed the new season but I don't recall a ratings slide despite viewer displeasure. Does anyone here believe that articles like this affect the market for WD comics and other collectibles? I know Yahoo is not a reputable news source but I believe a lot of people get their news from Yahoo.

Edited by MrWeen

Though GPA isn't the be all here is some information to interpret as you like.

2013 avg: 2139

90day: 1893

Last sale: 1750

2013 avg: 1259

90day: 1164

Last sale: 1340

2013 avg: 1090

90day: 1014

Last sale: 1028

2013 avg: 953

90day: 895

Last sale: 1050

Also, " I am finding a ton of SA and BA common books in lower to mid grades from collection purchases that do not move at 50% of guide.".....I wanna shop where you shop...

Gunnz

Send me a PM with your want list. I have a few long boxes of 50% off SA and BA books that I take to shows.

Gunnz

Send me a PM with your want list. I have a few long boxes of 50% off SA and BA books that I take to shows.

mess, I'd love to get even 30% of guide on those same books your talking about.