• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

I've watched Star Wars 68, which doesn't feature Boba Fett but another character entirely, get priced higher and higher as a Boba Fett cover and story. I think Boba Fett is in one or two panels in the book (in a flashback) and he isn't the character on the cover. (Hint: if you watched the Clone Wars TV series, you would understand there is an entire planet of people who wear armor that looks like Boba Fett's armor.)

While the story in issue 68 largely doesn't feature Boba, the cover art IS definitely him. You can tell because of the Wookie scalps/pelts on his shoulder. Fenn Shysa doesn't have those.

Fenn Shysa's armor doesn't, but Dala's armor does. You can see the scalps/pelts in issue 69 on his armor in 2 panels where he blows up the Imperial base. I always thought the cover was Fenn Shysa (since he was the "Boba Fett" character in the story), but I guess it can be either Dala's or Fett's. The cover for issue 68 is a mess, because the colors on the armor and markings on the helmet don't match any of the Mandalorians featured in the story including Fett's.

Edited by rjrjr

Another is the first appearance of Rocket Raccoon. Half the collectors out there think it is Incredible Hulk 271. :facepalm:

Once these books go up, they hardly ever come down.

I know a lot of people who consider IH 271 and Marvel Spotlight 6 as Rocket Raccoon and Star Lord's first appearances because "magazines don't count."

I'm not a member of that party. I'll take a good ole Marvel Preview 4 and 7 any day.

Another is the first appearance of Rocket Raccoon. Half the collectors out there think it is Incredible Hulk 271. :facepalm:

I know a lot of people who consider IH 271 and Marvel Spotlight 6 as Rocket Raccoon and Star Lord's first appearances because "magazines don't count."

I'm not a member of that party. I'll take a good ole Marvel Preview 4 and 7 any day.

Magazines may not be desirable but they definitely count! If they didn't Vanth Dreadstar would not have made his first appearance until 1982's Issue #1. I don't think anyone is willing to discount Epic Illustrated 2,3,4 and the Dreadstar GN that all came out prior to Dreadstar #1.

Edited by MrWeen

Even CGC doesn't know what to do with Hulk 271.

I've seen labels that say, "1st comic book appearance", and labels that say, "1st appearance".

The 1st app was before they knew about Marvel Premiere.

So I went back through Scalped. I read it two years ago. No one can possibly still believe this is Earl Tubb.

Scalped16p05_zpsf0f16745.jpg

#16 page 5. Actually appears on page 4, but page 5 he says his name.

scaled_54_010_zps04ed9207.jpg

#54 page 9. He gets shot in the head. Dead body is shown face down on page 10.

Don't ruin it, Im really enjoying watching all the suckers buy Scalped 43 at hilarious prices lol

Anyone that's read Scalped knows how funny all of this is. Let the fools throw their money away.

Funny or annoying? I've watched Star Wars 68, which doesn't feature Boba Fett but another character entirely, get priced higher and higher as a Boba Fett cover and story. I think Boba Fett is in one or two panels in the book (in a flashback) and he isn't the character on the cover. (Hint: if you watched the Clone Wars TV series, you would understand there is an entire planet of people who wear armor that looks like Boba Fett's armor.)

Why would it be annoying? Consider yourself smarter, move on. If you are letting yourself get caught up in it you are no better.

FYI, Latour NEVER said it was Tubbs:

The issue of SCALPED you can blame for SOUTHERN BASTARDS.-JL

http://www.southernbastards.com/post/80455277997/jasonlatour-scalped-43-page-7-unlettered

In Marvel Premier he was Rocky Raccon, in Hulk 271 Rocket. We assume it's the same, or did someone at Marvel make the connection?

I believe Mantlo stated at some point that Rocky was short for Rocket and the character that appeared in MP 7 is indeed Rocket Raccoon.

You want undervalued appearances, try Quasar 15 and Some She Hulks he was in. up until GOTG from 2008 he appeared in a handful of comics.

Trying not to derail a Modern thread, but one last thing on Rocket -

In 1985, he received his own four-issue limited series (in an afterword to the first issue, Mantlo himself asserted that this was the same character seen in Preview)

The only copies I've gotten of this comic have the "ticks" as well…more than my damn bassett hound.

This is gonna be a tough one in high grade. I'm up to fifteen copies, only two are 9.6/9.8. Spine ticks were a problem on this book when it shipped.

Cheers!

$15 on ebay in completed sales? word?!?!

The only current copies have more ticks than a Russian dog ;)

that comic features the first appearance of Knowhere also! def undervalued for some time