• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

What smart money would this be exactly?

The real question would be, "What's your money on?" :grin:

I'm pretty sure GotG will be a hit and will be officially announced as a franchise within a week of release. I have to go with Marvel's track record here. I'm not a particular fan of Marvel's incessant use of stupid humor in its movies, but looking at the box office receipts plenty of people seem to find it to be entertaining or at least easily ignored/tolerated. I'm also not particularly concerned that the general public isn't familiar with the GotG characters. If you can sell two Thor movies to the general public you can sell them on the idea of a space adventure starring the insufficiently_thoughtful_person from Parks and Recreation, a talking raccoon, and an anthropomorphic tree.

GOTG 1 isn't a 1st or close to a 1st for any of those characters (is it a 2nd Groot? I admit I don't know). I guess you could try to argue this is the modern equivalent of Defenders 1, but I don't think it's anything more than temporary movie hype. That GOTG book had its fans, but was and is a near nonentity in the Marvel Universe.

Hmmm... According to Marvel,

Tales to Astonish 13

Incredible Hulk Annual 5

Marvel Swimsuit Special 2

Sensational Spider-man 1

Marvel Monsters: From the files of Ulysses Bloodstone 1

Marvel Monsters: Monster's on the Prowl 1

Nick Fury's Howling Commandos 2

Nick Fury's Howling Commandos 4

Nick Fury's Howling Commandos 5

Nick Fury's Howling Commandos 6

Annihilation Conquest Star Lord 1

Annihilation Conquest Star Lord 2

Annihilation Conquest Star Lord 3

Annihilation Conquest Star Lord 4

Annihilation Conquest 2

Annihilation Conquest 3

Annihilation Conquest 4

Annihilation Conquest 5

Annihilation Conquest 6

Guardians of the Galaxy 1

So it is his 20th appearance.

hm

Which means the real key issue to grab is Annihilation Conquest 5. :roflmao:

What smart money would this be exactly?

The real question would be, "What's your money on?" :grin:

I'm pretty sure GotG will be a hit and will be officially announced as a franchise within a week of release. I have to go with Marvel's track record here. I'm not a particular fan of Marvel's incessant use of stupid humor in its movies, but looking at the box office receipts plenty of people seem to find it to be entertaining or at least easily ignored/tolerated. I'm also not particularly concerned that the general public isn't familiar with the GotG characters. If you can sell two Thor movies to the general public you can sell them on the idea of a space adventure starring the insufficiently_thoughtful_person from Parks and Recreation, a talking raccoon, and an anthropomorphic tree.

I am sure it will be also. Although we often disagree, we don't here. And as you, I enjoy the conversation. :foryou:

GOTG 1 isn't a 1st or close to a 1st for any of those characters (is it a 2nd Groot? I admit I don't know). I guess you could try to argue this is the modern equivalent of Defenders 1, but I don't think it's anything more than temporary movie hype. That GOTG book had its fans, but was and is a near nonentity in the Marvel Universe.

Tales to Astonish 13

Incredible Hulk Annual 5

Sensational Spider-man 1

Annihilation Conquest 2

Annihilation Conquest 3

Annihilation Conquest 4

Annihilation Conquest 5

Annihilation Conquest 6

hm

Dang! I only collect 18th appearances . . . trash it. lol

There's no way the film is a flop. It's basically a cartoon and Hollywood knows how to market its big-budget cartoons almost flawlessly by now; younger audiences do precisely what marketers tell them to do. The only question is if it's a modest success or a big hit. But even if it's a big hit, that doesn't necessarily equate to the comic book appearances being in demand or the characters ever being big players in the Marvel universe.

Deadpool regular series had low print runs. Is #1 now even a $25 book yet (raw)? (I'm asking, when I sold a few of these a little while back it was not)

I'm blanking here, but is there any mainstream, non-variant, marvel (or even DC) from the last 10 years that is at $100 a pop like that? Batman 1 New 52 I guess is/was flirting with $70 in some sales?

Deadpool's first Solo series (Circle Chase) #1 sells for $15 raw (9.4-9.6) and $65+ CGC 9.8.

To the best of my memory, the Marvel/DC 2013/2014 books with the most immediate pop are Deadpool 27, Catwoman 23, Harley Quinn #0 and Forever Evil #1 3D.

If you're referring to the 1997 regular DP series, #1 sells for about $40-45. Nice copies will go to about $60.

There are a couple others outside of the Punisher issues that do well. Like many of the 60s and 44. People are trying to push 27, but the book is really common and who cares that Wolverine was in it.

Patrick

I suppose if Preacher 1 is a $100+ raw book, then anything makes sense as I assume Preacher had a healthy six figure print-run. A year ago I could have gone to a big show and come back with a box of Preacher 1s and likely not paid more than $10 each, perhaps even $5 or even $2. GOTG 1 might have been a $1-$2 box book, but good luck actually finding it in such a box. (Of course, I guess copies were on ebay...)

So much of this is wrong.

Preacher #1 has been more than $10 since about 2 weeks after it came out.

There is absolutely no chance it had a "healthy six figure print run"

Last year you could have gone to a big show and been lucky to buy 5 copies at $40+ each.

I suppose if Preacher 1 is a $100+ raw book, then anything makes sense as I assume Preacher had a healthy six figure print-run. A year ago I could have gone to a big show and come back with a box of Preacher 1s and likely not paid more than $10 each, perhaps even $5 or even $2. GOTG 1 might have been a $1-$2 box book, but good luck actually finding it in such a box. (Of course, I guess copies were on ebay...)

Last year you could have gone to a big show and been lucky to buy 5 copies at $40+ each.

Not sure it really matters, but I was buying them off ebay all day at 15-20 a couple years ago. Show prices were definitely in the $40 range, but they could be had for less. I've bought many,many copies of this book over the years.

And yeah, no chance there are 100K copies.

Tales to Astonish 13

Incredible Hulk Annual 5

Sensational Spider-man 1

Annihilation Conquest 2

Annihilation Conquest 3

Annihilation Conquest 4

Annihilation Conquest 5

Annihilation Conquest 6

hm

Just to be clear, I guestimated that GOTG 1 was RRs 18th appearance, I could be off by a couple

Not sure it really matters, but I was buying them off ebay all day at 15-20 a couple years ago. Show prices were definitely in the $40 range, but they could be had for less. I've bought many,many copies of this book over the years.

And yeah, no chance there are 100K copies.

Ok, we've established that the sales on Preacher 1 were at a minimum in the 30Ks and potentially up to the 60ks if Cap City had roughly equal numbers to diamond (Chuck estimates 45% of the market for Diamond and 40% to cap city around that time, I assume whoever handled distribution in the rest of the market did not distribute vertigo books).

I have passed on numerous $5-$10 copies of Preacher 1 over the last 5 years (including a couple at last year's NYCC) because I am a insufficiently_thoughtful_person and was hoping to find them in a $2 box. Indeed, I sold one a few years back on ebay and got my whopping $9.99 starting bid for it. whoo hoo! sure, were these all strict NM copies, probably not.

Preacher 1 was $14 in the 2010/2011 guide I have handy in my office. I don't remember this being a book that had magic ebay powers resulting in it selling for well over guide on the interweb until later last year when some buzz started picking up about a potential TV thingamadoodle.

Edited by the blob

Tales to Astonish 13

Incredible Hulk Annual 5

Sensational Spider-man 1

Annihilation Conquest 2

Annihilation Conquest 3

Annihilation Conquest 4

Annihilation Conquest 5

Annihilation Conquest 6

hm

Just to be clear, I guestimated that GOTG 1 was RRs 18th appearance, I could be off by a couple

Just to be clear, these look like Groot appearances and not RR. At least the top two are (and according to Marvel's Wiki page the Hulk Annual #5 was a robot Groot and not the real deal).

If anyone is at the con this weekend they need to talk to some Image folks for some big news........

an elusive teaser, nice way to start a friday

I'm on pins and needles...shaped like an office chair. lol

kimik knows some news otherwise he wouldn't be able to tell us to ask image about big news.