• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

Anyone want to guess the print run of Deadpool # 34 1:52 variant?

1:52? Is that some swipe at DC?

It's also 3D out this month if that helps you at all.

It was also given out 1 per store to those that didn't order 1:52

Marvel want all retailers to know just how funny and clever they are zzz

It was? That's interesting.

Just found the 1:52 Deadpool variant at my LCS for $12 whoo! I'm generally lukewarm towards Deadpool and can't stand his overly forced presence and obnoxious fandom but its pretty neat to own a somewhat rare variant off the shelf. I bought it with the intention of selling it...but I find my collector side wanting to keep it.

can not figure this out...

I was pricing my 2nd print of TMNT the IDW version...

and found this:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5185348&fpart=2355

my first thought was ha ha...right...

But I could not find it for sale for cheap, is it really that rare that there's only like 3 copies on ebay?

and found this:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5185348&fpart=2355

But I could not find it for sale for cheap, is it really that rare that there's only like 3 copies on ebay?

I checked out that thread once.

Seems like WYTCHES by Scott Snyder & Jock are getting (6) variant covers as per his tweet yesterday evening:

"Huge thanks to @f_francavilla, @Sean_G_Murphy, @beckycloonan, @cliffchiang, Dustin Nguyen, and Bill Sienkiewicz for Wytches Variants!"

Variant covers are so overdone.

#overit.

I agree for the most part. I'm pretty selective with the ones I get since there are so many. It's both a blessing (due to the great artwork) and a curse (due to the amount made -- especially with Marvel's current method of pimping out #1s with a minimum of 4 variants). Some are the price of a classic key, which is ridiculous. But that just my 2c

#overit.

I agree for the most part. I'm pretty selective with the ones I get since there are so many. It's both a blessing (due to the great artwork) and a curse (due to the amount made -- especially with Marvel's current method of pimping out #1s with a minimum of 4 variants). Some are the price of a classic key, which is ridiculous. But that just my 2c

I am still blown away by the prices Greg Horn was getting for his slabbed Gamestop variants with his and Lee's sig and a quick sketch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-1-CGC-9-8-GAME-STOP-SIGNED-SKETCHED-BY-GREG-HORN-STAN-LEE-NR-/321443785853?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4ad78aec7d&nma=true&si=LAPHHcRad1Kp%252BtuMrQDJVRkWXow%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Death-of-Wolverine-1-CGC-9-8-REMARKED-edition-GAMESTOP-variant-by-GREG-HORN-/361033466606?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item540f4582ee&nma=true&si=LAPHHcRad1Kp%252BtuMrQDJVRkWXow%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

just wow...

and found this:

try this:

:insane:

and found this:

lol sorry, I should check my links...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-Oct-2011-IDW-CGC-9-8-2nd-Print-Sketch-Cover-/261587811466?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3ce7d93c8a&_uhb=1

Marvel published more Death of Wolverine 1 variants than most companies publish comics. :roflmao:

What is the official count on the number of variants for this title?

Around the same of most of the recent Image titles :whistle:

Midtown is showing 11 Death of Wolverine variant covers (I don't count any of the signed books) and I suspect more than Midtown has released an exclusive for this book.

I know Walking Dead has had a few covers which had a high number of variants. But most of the recent Image titles have? Do you have examples?

Wayward had a ton. Between 6 - 8 from what I remember.

Nailbiter, Deadly Class, Southern Bastards

Surely you jest... Image publisher Eric Stephenson earlier this year mocked the Big Two for their variant covers in his ComicsPRO speech. Apparently, they are bad for the industry, bad for comic shops, and bad for fans.

Are $4.99 and $7.99 comics going to help our industry in the long run?

No, but they sure help the bottom line at the end of the year.

Same with gimmick covers and insane incentives to qualify for variants that will only have a limited appeal for a limited amount of time.

Everybody moans about variants, but here’s the honest to goodness truth:

You stop ordering variants; we’ll stop making them.

They are only produced to shore up market share, that’s it and that’s all, and when used in conjunction with quantity-based incentives, they don’t sell more comics, they just result in stacks of unsold books that send the wrong message to your customers about the titles, your stores, and our industry.

That type of marketing is built on short-term sales goals that do little to grow and sustain readership, and it’s a trick that’s been done to death in other industries, to diminishing returns.

He goes on to say "we can do better," but I guess he's not interested in putting his market share where his mouth is. This was only a few months after Walking Dead 115 shipped with 16 different covers, less than two years after Walking Dead 100 shipped with 16 covers.

ComicsPRO speech

#overit.

I am still blown away by the prices Greg Horn was getting for his slabbed Gamestop variants with his and Lee's sig and a quick sketch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-1-CGC-9-8-GAME-STOP-SIGNED-SKETCHED-BY-GREG-HORN-STAN-LEE-NR-/321443785853?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4ad78aec7d&nma=true&si=LAPHHcRad1Kp%252BtuMrQDJVRkWXow%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Death-of-Wolverine-1-CGC-9-8-REMARKED-edition-GAMESTOP-variant-by-GREG-HORN-/361033466606?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item540f4582ee&nma=true&si=LAPHHcRad1Kp%252BtuMrQDJVRkWXow%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

just wow...

Greg Horn's Spidey head looks a hell of a lot better than Stan's though. lol

Marvel published more Death of Wolverine 1 variants than most companies publish comics. :roflmao:

What is the official count on the number of variants for this title?

Around the same of most of the recent Image titles :whistle:

Midtown is showing 11 Death of Wolverine variant covers (I don't count any of the signed books) and I suspect more than Midtown has released an exclusive for this book.

I know Walking Dead has had a few covers which had a high number of variants. But most of the recent Image titles have? Do you have examples?

Wayward had a ton. Between 6 - 8 from what I remember.

Nailbiter, Deadly Class, Southern Bastards

Surely you jest... Image publisher Eric Stephenson earlier this year mocked the Big Two for their variant covers in his ComicsPRO speech. Apparently, they are bad for the industry, bad for comic shops, and bad for fans.

Are $4.99 and $7.99 comics going to help our industry in the long run?

No, but they sure help the bottom line at the end of the year.

Same with gimmick covers and insane incentives to qualify for variants that will only have a limited appeal for a limited amount of time.

Everybody moans about variants, but here’s the honest to goodness truth:

You stop ordering variants; we’ll stop making them.

They are only produced to shore up market share, that’s it and that’s all, and when used in conjunction with quantity-based incentives, they don’t sell more comics, they just result in stacks of unsold books that send the wrong message to your customers about the titles, your stores, and our industry.

That type of marketing is built on short-term sales goals that do little to grow and sustain readership, and it’s a trick that’s been done to death in other industries, to diminishing returns.

He goes on to say "we can do better," but I guess he's not interested in putting his market share where his mouth is. This was only a few months after Walking Dead 115 shipped with 16 different covers, less than two years after Walking Dead 100 shipped with 16 covers.

ComicsPRO speech

He's full of mess on many levels.

#overit.

just wow...

That second listing is interesting.

I wondered why the picture was so blurry around the specifics of the CGC case, yet everything else in the picture is focused so clearly. And how someone was able to get this comic so fast, remarked, and graded.

Turns out, if you keep reading the fine print, this is a pre-sale.

Also, based on the seller's name/store, someone very closely associated with Greg Horn (or GH himself). The listing also mentions having 15 of these. Quite a good amount of dough if they go for the same amount.

Lastly, if Greg is marking these himself, is he going to have a CGC rep standing over him while he does it or does he get a "pass" b/c he's an artist? Or are people "winning" this auction going to have to wait 3 months to finally get their item?

Like I said...interesting.

#overit.

just wow...

That second listing is interesting.

I wondered why the picture was so blurry around the specifics of the CGC case, yet everything else in the picture is focused so clearly. And how someone was able to get this comic so fast, remarked, and graded.

Turns out, if you keep reading the fine print, this is a pre-sale.

Also, based on the seller's name/store, someone very closely associated with Greg Horn (or GH himself). The listing also mentions having 15 of these. Quite a good amount of dough if they go for the same amount.

Lastly, if Greg is marking these himself, is he going to have a CGC rep standing over him while he does it or does he get a "pass" b/c he's an artist? Or are people "winning" this auction going to have to wait 3 months to finally get their item?

They are listed directly by Greg Horn from his Ebay account.

No idea if he did them at the con and subbed them or sent them from home... :shrug:

For what he's getting for them, I hope he's at least fast tracking them!

Greg has started doing this a lot - he grabs a stack of his artist comps, gets them pre-screened for 9.8, does a sketch on each of them (which is witnessed by CGC), and then sells them in his eBay store once they're slabbed. He either fast-tracks or does the books onsite, so there's no 3 month waiting period. There are several other artists who do the exact same thing.