• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

She's not a SIDEKICK...he needs her help...it's not like the Skipper & Gilligan.

So... what you're saying is she probably has little to nothing to do with Vader once this story arc is over? Is she a Jedi, Sith, or a bounty hunter with a cool costume? What is her appeal?

Would really like to hear from someone that actually read this thing - I still see no appeal here, but while people are buying them up on eBay, I don't blame you guys for selling them.

Gotta wonder why people are paying what they're paying, no one here has said anything even slightly compelling with regards to this book - as close as it got is Larry's "3 new characters connected to Vader", which is a pretty poor explanation for a $15 book day of release.

I read it, I think she's like a female Han Solo...she may even be undercover working for the good guys.

She's a female space Indiana Jones.

Totally got that vibe too

If you only had one copy of Tim Drake's first appearance as Batman beyond, would you flip or keep? Or keep for a while longer then flip? I'm leaning toward keep.

The pattern for books that get hot quickly is to rise a lot, peak, pull back a bit, and then either settle and rise again, or go into slow decline. I think this book would more likely be the former.

If you sell and make money, and then buy back in during a pull back, the difference between the two would be your profit. If the prices involved and your expected price differential between selling and pullback is too small to make it worth bothering... than just keep it. If you think that difference will be big, than sell.

Personally, if my copy of a hot book is 9.4 or less (for a modern), I dont see it as hard to get back if I "HAVE" to have one. If your copy is a 9.8 or better type book, and getting one back means paying a premium, I tend towards not bothering to sell. Unless you think its going to straight up crash.

For example, I bought Peter Panzerfaust #1 for <$10, slabbed it myself to 9.8, and sold it for close to $500. The last sale was $224 for the same book, so even if I bought it back, thats over $250 profit. With that level of difference, obviously its always worth it to sell.

When I think about 'selling now' vs 'keeping it' (for a longer term), I think "What would have to happen for me to wish I had this book 2 years from now?"

Take Futures End 47, 1st app of Tim Drake as Batman Beyond. Let say you can sell it now for $20, you bought it for $5, or you could slab $25 in fees and sell for $80 IF you hit 9.8. Or two years from now, what would have to happen for the book to be worth NOTICEABLY more? A movie? An ongoing comic? A tv show? Assign some price estimates (admittedly subjective), and some probabilities, maybe try to think of some recent comparables.

Just do your probabilities and your expected values and see what gives you the best return! Then choose that. But if you love Tim Drake or Batman Beyond, then you have to factor in your enjoyability of the comic too.

If you only had one copy of Tim Drake's first appearance as Batman beyond, would you flip or keep? Or keep for a while longer then flip? I'm leaning toward keep.

What CBT said.

But if you want one for the PC long term, just keep it.

My LCS had a stack of Darth Vader #3 on the shelf and I was able to grab the 1:25 Variant for $12, too.

Good investment. Now flip it.

btw.... I actually like the regular cover-art better than the variant. Can't see squat on the variant.

(shrug)

lol Just did! And I agree. The Granov regular cover definitely tops the variant.

I liked the reg cover too. Only had one for my pull. LCS shipping more first prints for the seven people short.

She's not a SIDEKICK...he needs her help...it's not like the Skipper & Gilligan.

So... what you're saying is she probably has little to nothing to do with Vader once this story arc is over? Is she a Jedi, Sith, or a bounty hunter with a cool costume? What is her appeal?

Would really like to hear from someone that actually read this thing - I still see no appeal here, but while people are buying them up on eBay, I don't blame you guys for selling them.

Gotta wonder why people are paying what they're paying, no one here has said anything even slightly compelling with regards to this book - as close as it got is Larry's "3 new characters connected to Vader", which is a pretty poor explanation for a $15 book day of release.

I read it, I think she's like a female Han Solo...she may even be undercover working for the good guys.

She's a female space Indiana Jones.

Totally got that vibe too

I feel like the only reason anyone is comparing her to Indy is the "It belongs in a ___" obvious reference. She certainly doesn't have the charisma of Indy and seemed way to silly/causal than Darth Vader would ever endure.. I found the issue extremely lacking especially in text, which there was barely any of. I'm not really sure whats so hyped about this character.

I will answer my own question by stating that I don't see a single listing on eBay for Futures End 47 (at least not ebay.ca). Does that mean it's going to get hot? Or that no one cares...

You forgot to mention the death of the first Batman Beyond in Futures End 46

Went by 2nd and Charles again today right before work (5:45-ish) and they were in the process of bagging and putting the stickers on new comics... I believe they had 6 or 7 Darth Vader #3, so I got one. Got off earlier than expected and went back to pick up the rest of my pull list for the day, and within 3 hours they had sold out of all of them. If there are indeed more 1st printings to come in next week, I am curious to see how prices on ebay will be, for certain.

Also, found a gold Hard Corps #1 for a buck there tonight... I know it's not one of the hotter Valiant books, but it was a gold, so I had to pick it up as I don't have any gold Valiants other than this one. Semi relevant, I guess.

The pattern for books that get hot quickly is to rise a lot, peak, pull back a bit, and then either settle and rise again, or go into slow decline. I think this book would more likely be the former.

If you sell and make money, and then buy back in during a pull back, the difference between the two would be your profit. If the prices involved and your expected price differential between selling and pullback is too small to make it worth bothering... than just keep it. If you think that difference will be big, than sell.

Personally, if my copy of a hot book is 9.4 or less (for a modern), I dont see it as hard to get back if I "HAVE" to have one. If your copy is a 9.8 or better type book, and getting one back means paying a premium, I tend towards not bothering to sell. Unless you think its going to straight up crash.

For example, I bought Peter Panzerfaust #1 for <$10, slabbed it myself to 9.8, and sold it for close to $500. The last sale was $224 for the same book, so even if I bought it back, thats over $250 profit. With that level of difference, obviously its always worth it to sell.

When I think about 'selling now' vs 'keeping it' (for a longer term), I think "What would have to happen for me to wish I had this book 2 years from now?"

Take Futures End 47, 1st app of Tim Drake as Batman Beyond. Let say you can sell it now for $20, you bought it for $5, or you could slab $25 in fees and sell for $80 IF you hit 9.8. Or two years from now, what would have to happen for the book to be worth NOTICEABLY more? A movie? An ongoing comic? A tv show? Assign some price estimates (admittedly subjective), and some probabilities, maybe try to think of some recent comparables.

Just do your probabilities and your expected values and see what gives you the best return! Then choose that. But if you love Tim Drake or Batman Beyond, then you have to factor in your enjoyability of the comic too.

Ongoing Batman Beyond with Tim Drake starts in June. Being hyped as THE incontinuity future of the DC universe.

Maybe it was overshadowed by TMNT last week, but I was kind of surprised that the death of Terry McGuinness didn't get more notice.

Maybe it was overshadowed by TMNT last week, but I was kind of surprised that the death of Terry McGuinness didn't get more notice.

Pretty sure most of the copies of that book ended up in the hands of readers. Can still be found for cover price, but isn't exactly readily available.

My LCS told me the same thing.. They only got 3 copies cause at least half the shipment had a print defect/error and they were called back (notice I didnt use the "R" word) and never made the stores.. They will get their next week :wishluck:

Meantime I noticed there are already 2nd prints on the Bay

Strange

The "hype" caused us to prematurely sell out... Folks in the store would tell incoming customers "you'd better get a vader 3...yada yada". I normally don't sell out in one day but did today.

Luckily diamond made more available for a short time this afternoon and I loaded back up

The "hype" caused us to prematurely sell out... Folks in the store would tell incoming customers "you'd better get a vader 3...yada yada". I normally don't sell out in one day but did today.

Luckily diamond made more available for a short time this afternoon and I loaded back up

You know your busienss better than I do, but I cant help but ask - arent yuo worried the hype will die by then?

BTW I secured 3 Vader variants and sold 2 already.. This is a TMNT44 repeat with those

If it is a 9.8 candidate and you are into it for five bucks or so, just have it graded....by the time you get it back from CGC, it'll be prime time to sell a slabbed 9.8.

If not, I'd put it up 300-400% of what raw NM copies are selling for now and wait intil the demand for the book increases when the storyline kicks in this summer, it'll sell then.

I wouldn't bother selling it now, unless you are in dire need for the funding to cover a case of Guinness.

After accounting for ebay fees and what you paid for the book, what do you stand to profit now...maybe $20? That's not even accounting for the time it takes to listing/scan front/back covers, list it on ebay time with a description....and ship it when it sells.