• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

Marvel's changing! Marvel's changing! I've seen this same stuff for almost 40 years.

Iron Man and Thor left the Avengers! Who are Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch?

A Black Superhero? FF52

That's not the X-Men! That's weird! GSX1

They gave the Beast blue fur! What's Marvel doing?

They killed Gwen! I'll never read Marvel again!

Thor's a Frog! I'm done!

Spider-mobile! That's it! Marvel's done!

:eyeroll:

The "Diversity Thing "

is pretty good for the medium right now.

There seemed to be quite a diverse crowd at the show. Go figure. Appealing to more people brings in more fans. It would be nice if some of those complaining here would maybe go to a Mary Sue panel at a con to try to understand the perspective of others, rather than fall back o the same straw man perspectives.

Honestly is it diversity when you change practically all the A list characters (that have been around for 50-75 plus years and have done well) just to say look at us everyone and pat ourselves on the back how diverse we are?

Diversity either is present or not in a society it can't be forced . 2c

The problem is that people seem to think that the people (who aren't straight white males) that want to see themselves represented well in comics are the ones responsible for how companies address that demand.

And those same people want the opposite of this now. How many white male characters are appropriate?

Is there a specific number that have to represent each race and if so who is in charge of this specific number policy?

Is there ever a "right number of people represented" because when diversity is used there is always a number to follow.

Two wrongs don't make a right and sparingly made changes add to the MU not what they are doing now. Its a fast storyline change for money right now but the sad thing about it is while you think it's drawing more new readers to it, its also pushing long time supporters of it away.

Then stop reading it.

Go collect coins.

Because Marvel's REAL reason for doing it is MONEY.

NEW money. REAL money.

Thor is selling MORE.

For all the talk about Captain America's Brusker run (which was great), Cap is now selling MORE.

Spider-Gwen is selling over 100,000 copies.

Silk almost sold as many copies of Avengers Ultron Forever which has a movie.

Ms. Marvel sells as well as Superior Iron Man which has a movie.

And if they didn't sell as well?

Then Marvel would cancel them.

They're trying to sell to a segment of a market that is UNTAPPED and it isn't comprised of creepy little white male nerds who are only concerned about what book they can flip next. They're going after READERS.

Of all kinds.

It's not politics is business.

And who is it pushing away? The books are selling more copies now than they were.

Fact is: The people who person_without_enough_empathy about it, aren't even the one's reading it.

I've corrected numerous people in my store complaining about how Marvel 'turned' Thor into a girl - WRONG.

Thor collectors overwhelmingly love the storyline (Jason Aaron rocks), and new readers are joining in.

Whatever 'long time supporters of it' that are leaving, isn't apparent in the sales numbers.

Bottom line is there are far more people that might be reading comics but aren't, than there are current readers who will be pushed away because not everything is catered to them specifically.

Absolutely.

If you sell a sandwich that only 10% of the population wants, it would only make sense to either change that sandwich or make more sandwich's that a larger percentage of the population wants.

And then closet racists/mysogynists, as well as socially awkward nerds could claim politics and pc police were ruing their sandwich hobby.

Marvel's changing! Marvel's changing! I've seen this same stuff for almost 40 years.

A Black Superhero? FF52

Thor's a Frog! I'm done!

:applause:

A Black Superhero? FF52

Thor's a Frog! I'm done!

:applause:

lol It's true. There will always be changes and you can either embrace them or not. I don't bother collecting any Event Books as I feel they are pretty empty stories, be it from DC or Marvel.

Personally, I stick with charaters I like. When it gets dumb, I bail until a new writer with clear direction and good writing chops comes on then I start collecting again. I don't do that completist nonsense. I don't pay for $#!&. I do the same with DVD sets. I love the Superman Movies but I refuse to buy the set since I only liked the first two films, so I get them individually. Same for Nolan Batman films. Loved the first two but that third flick was a turd.

When Grant Morrison wrote Batman, I bailed after a few issues. There were more bombs (I'm dead Nightwing. Take over [again] before I come back [again]) than gems (Damian, Damian becoming Robin) in his years of writing that character. I came back with Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. Overall, I prefer their run than Morrison's.

Same with Spider-man. I stopped collecting when Straczynski started messing up (Spidey Totem nonsense, Gwen Stacy knocked up by Osborn, Peter/Mary Jane demonic divorce). I came back with Dan Slott exclusively wrote Spider-man.

Collect what you like and don't when you don't like it.

Edited by JasonDaTwit

Shipping is $6 so yeah including it in the price

Since we have no control over what marvel does, whats heating up on ebay

Then that's misleading.

If i buy a comic for $1 yet am charged $9 for shipping then my cost is $10

Edited by krighton

A Black Superhero? FF52

Thor's a Frog! I'm done!

Great - now take that list of changes across 40 years, double it, and then compress them into less than a single year.

The "Diversity Thing "

is pretty good for the medium right now.

There seemed to be quite a diverse crowd at the show. Go figure. Appealing to more people brings in more fans. It would be nice if some of those complaining here would maybe go to a Mary Sue panel at a con to try to understand the perspective of others, rather than fall back o the same straw man perspectives.

Honestly is it diversity when you change practically all the A list characters (that have been around for 50-75 plus years and have done well) just to say look at us everyone and pat ourselves on the back how diverse we are?

Diversity either is present or not in a society it can't be forced . 2c

The problem is that people seem to think that the people (who aren't straight white males) that want to see themselves represented well in comics are the ones responsible for how companies address that demand.

And those same people want the opposite of this now. How many white male characters are appropriate?

Is there a specific number that have to represent each race and if so who is in charge of this specific number policy?

Is there ever a "right number of people represented" because when diversity is used there is always a number to follow.

Two wrongs don't make a right and sparingly made changes add to the MU not what they are doing now. Its a fast storyline change for money right now but the sad thing about it is while you think it's drawing more new readers to it, its also pushing long time supporters of it away.

Then stop reading it.

Go collect coins.

Because Marvel's REAL reason for doing it is MONEY.

NEW money. REAL money.

Thor is selling MORE.

For all the talk about Captain America's Brusker run (which was great), Cap is now selling MORE.

Spider-Gwen is selling over 100,000 copies.

Silk almost sold as many copies of Avengers Ultron Forever which has a movie.

Ms. Marvel sells as well as Superior Iron Man which has a movie.

And if they didn't sell as well?

Then Marvel would cancel them.

They're trying to sell to a segment of a market that is UNTAPPED and it isn't comprised of creepy little white male nerds who are only concerned about what book they can flip next. They're going after READERS.

Of all kinds.

It's not politics is business.

And who is it pushing away? The books are selling more copies now than they were.

Fact is: The people who person_without_enough_empathy about it, aren't even the one's reading it.

I've corrected numerous people in my store complaining about how Marvel 'turned' Thor into a girl - WRONG.

Thor collectors overwhelmingly love the storyline (Jason Aaron rocks), and new readers are joining in.

Whatever 'long time supporters of it' that are leaving, isn't apparent in the sales numbers.

Great Post Chuck!

Then that's misleading.

If i buy a comic for $1 yet am charged $9 for shipping then my cost is $10

Yes.

But to say the market price for that book is $10 is misleading.

You didn't pay $10 for the BOOK.

You paid $9 for shipping.

Are you really that disingenuous about details?

Is that how people here trick others into thinking a book is worth more?

So much cynicism here. I'm one of those 'old guys' and I think comics are as exciting and creative as they have been in a long time.

For a long time I didn't read anything that wasn't written by Neil Gaiman or Alan Moore and when they stopped, so did I.

I would peek back in every few years to see what was happening but never stuck around long. Now, I am sticking for a while. There are some great books being published today. I really enjoy Batman, Harley Quinn, JL, Ms. Marvel, Sex Criminals, Wytches......Do we still have to wade through a ton of junk like Secret Wars or Convergence or anything starting with X to find the good stuff? Of course we do. And we always did! Frustrated with all the re-boots? Ignore the issue number and read the book? Annoyed with variants? Me too! So I pretend they don't exist.

So Thor is a girl. Did you read the Jane Foster reveal issue? It was great. Miles Morales? They're doing a really good job with him. Commisioner Gordon is now Batman? An eye-roller for sure but guess what? Batman 40 was really good and 41 looks good as well.

As Billy Joel once said, 'The good old days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems'.

So much cynicism here. I'm one of those 'old guys' and I think comics are as exciting and creative as they have been in a long time.

For a long time I didn't read anything that wasn't written by Neil Gaiman or Alan Moore and when they stopped, so did I.

I would peek back in every few years to see what was happening but never stuck around long. Now, I am sticking for a while. There are some great books being published today. I really enjoy Batman, Harley Quinn, JL, Ms. Marvel, Sex Criminals, Wytches......Do we still have to wade through a ton of junk like Secret Wars or Convergence or anything starting with X to find the good stuff? Of course we do. And we always did! Frustrated with all the re-boots? Ignore the issue number and read the book? Annoyed with variants? Me too! So I pretend they don't exist.

So Thor is a girl. Did you read the Jane Foster reveal issue? It was great. Miles Morales? They're doing a really good job with him. Commisioner Gordon is now Batman? An eye-roller for sure but guess what? Batman 40 was really good and 41 looks good as well.

As Billy Joel once said, 'The good old days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems'.

+1

Thought my commentary was positive...

I have read almost every new title since 1988.

I'm in this business because I love it.

Anyway...

there's no online retailers that I've found that still have copies of Disciples 1....I got 2 copies from MCS and they sold out right after that.

This is the cheapest I could find on ebay and it's $10 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Disciples-1-Black-Mask-Comics-Unread-High-Grade-Hot-New-Comic-/231583032916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35eb6ca654

Are you including shipping in the price?

That's usually what the "shipped" bit means.

Then that's misleading.

Whether you want to believe it or not, your LCS charges for "shipping" or other costs of overhead. It's all relative to the final price you pay.

Looks like disciples #1 is already on the up on ebay. Keep an eye on this tomorrow. Went to one store today and they only ordered one copy so might be an under order issue.

Already has a TV deal with Wes Craven attached. Steve Niles+Low print run+TV Deal should=cash monies.

been selling for $10 for the last few weeks in presale

People are actually falling for that?

Please elaborate. This book is pretty sold out and has a lot of media attention surrounding it. What would people be falling for?

That an optioned Steve Niles comic will actually get produced.

Then that's misleading.

Whether you want to believe it or not, your LCS charges for "shipping" or other costs of overhead. It's all relative to the final price you pay.

How is that?

My local comic book shop for years gave me 10% discount, plus free bag and board for each comic I bought.

How is that charging me shipping?

there's no online retailers that I've found that still have copies of Disciples 1....I got 2 copies from MCS and they sold out right after that.

This is the cheapest I could find on ebay and it's $10 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Disciples-1-Black-Mask-Comics-Unread-High-Grade-Hot-New-Comic-/231583032916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35eb6ca654

Are you including shipping in the price?

That's usually what the "shipped" bit means.

Yeah I get what it means, I asked the question to draw out the answer to show the disingenuous nature of what's being said.

If Turd Man comics sells for $3.99 on eBay, and some clown has $6.00 shipping, it doesn't mean FMV on the book is $10.

I realize most of you want to pump up the prices on these worthless modern speculation books, but geez, let's try and be a bit more honest here.