• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

Got my Deadpool #1 Liefeld's, ugg, why did I think this store would package any better than the rest. Has there been a store that has actually packaged well?

I know Cargo Hold is on here and should be shipping out now.

How bad?

The comics were in a cardboard USPS flat rate envelope, which was then folded to fit inside another flat rate envelope of the same size. That's it, nothing else.

Shipping cost $10 too and if I had to ship that it would cost $5.05.

Got my Deadpool #1 Liefeld's, ugg, why did I think this store would package any better than the rest. Has there been a store that has actually packaged well?

What store?

I hope Cargo Hold sends me 9.8 candidates :sorry:

I was thinking about Cargo Hold's All-New Wolverine variants by Campbell yesterday but finally decided against it, not knowing anything about their reputation ... let us know how that goes :)

Regarding Cargo hold, I will be sure to report back on condition of the books and packaging once I get them in.

How bad?

The comics were in a cardboard USPS flat rate envelope, which was then folded to fit inside another flat rate envelope of the same size. That's it, nothing else.

Shipping cost $10 too and if I had to ship that it would cost $5.05.

You do realize that they are living up to their name . . . "cargo hold" is the cheapest method of transport - no frills. lol

I know I'm going to get lots of hate mail for this mention but it lol. Howard the Duck 1 Gwenpool variant is going nuts on ebay. The book just came out on this month and its fetching 100-200 bucks raw! I got a copy from my local comic shop for $20.00 but they were only selling one per customer. I wanted to buy a few more to flip so went to ebay to see what's up. Wow man!!! The lowest price i saw was a bid for $72.00 with 23 bidders and 3 days left...smh. Sooooooo no more Howard 1 variants for me. I must say i enjoyed both the Howard story as well ad Gwenpool. I know many people may not like the character but sorry. This is not a popularity contest. Its about what's hot. Ok...I'm ready to take my licking like a man :)

Short attention spans... so, what is it that you were saying?

lol

Today's darling will be replaced soon enough and so on and so forth, and then so on so forth... like this is the song that doesn't end... Strike while the iron is hot and then on to the next.

I know I'm going to get lots of hate mail for this mention but it lol. Howard the Duck 1 Gwenpool variant is going nuts on ebay. The book just came out on this month and its fetching 100-200 bucks raw! I got a copy from my local comic shop for $20.00 but they were only selling one per customer. I wanted to buy a few more to flip so went to ebay to see what's up. Wow man!!! The lowest price i saw was a bid for $72.00 with 23 bidders and 3 days left...smh. Sooooooo no more Howard 1 variants for me. I must say i enjoyed both the Howard story as well ad Gwenpool. I know many people may not like the character but sorry. This is not a popularity contest. Its about what's hot. Ok...I'm ready to take my licking like a man :)

:screwy: This is just crazy. You can get key Deadpool issues (with the exception of New Mutants 98), for cheaper. Hell, the book that started this craze, Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars 2 Bachalo Variant, can even be had for cheaper than this now!

:screwy: This is just crazy. You can get key Deadpool issues (with the exception of New Mutants 98), for cheaper. Hell, the book that started this craze, Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars 2 Bachalo Variant, can even be had for cheaper than this now!

Yes, but this is an incentive variant. The original was not. Plenty of incentive variants that go for high prices.

Long term, the Deadpool book seems like a better bet than the Howard book. It was 1st and she is on the cover but it makes sense that a short printed book would not need the same number of buyers to drive the value of the 2nd appearance. CGC labeling doesn't change the order we all saw them appear. 2c

Yeah. Captain Marvel #17 2nd print is what drives my opinion. Its her 3rd appearance but she is on the cover and look at what those books sell for now. Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars #2 is the same thing but a 1st appearance. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Only thing that props up the Howard variant over Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars 2 is ratio variant vs non-ratio orderable variant, so there's likely going to be fewer copies of the Howard variant on the market, but no guarantee, since it likely got over-ordered to hit the ratios, while the DSSW variant was probably under-ordered since every book that month had a Gwen variant & that one just happened to be big.

If we can learn from the comic industry crash, rather than just warn ourselves that high-priced variants were a cause of the fall...

... we would see that the "most successful" of those who endured the market crash took the newest books that had reached 10x or 100x their cover prices quickly, sold them, and purchased keys which were about 25 to 30+ years old at the time.

That is, the best result was for collectors who sold 1 and 2 year old books to buy 30+ year old Silver Age key issues in the 1990s.

The only thing I can imagine which would be even better than that result would be to be a collector who gets 10x to 100x the cover price for comics that are just weeks or months old, and is able to use that money to buy those same Silver Age key issues that are now 45 to 50+ years old.

It's like someone turned back the clock and is letting us decide what to do with "instant money" comics again.

30+ year old key issues was the right answer the first time. Seems hard to believe it would be better to just buy and hold these brand new books. What are you waiting for? Unless your collecting grail is so new it practically still has the ink wet, use the profits to go after the grails you've always wanted.

People are holding and hoping for the next NM98 or WD1.

I'm pretty sure that NM98 and WD1 becoming a big deal is at least partially because nobody was holding them... and even when they were a few years old... no one cared.

It's a catch-22 to hold something immediately and hope it becomes the kind of thing nobody held for years.

People are holding and hoping for the next NM98 or WD1.

I'm pretty sure that NM98 and WD1 becoming a big deal is at least partially because nobody was holding them... and even when they were a few years old... no one cared.

It's a catch-22 to hold something immediately and hope it becomes the kind of thing nobody held for years.

The thing is you never know. Look at Batman 635. I bought that issue new 15 years ago, read it, bagged it, and forgot about it for 15 years. Now the stupid thing is shooting though the roof, based on movie rumors. Yeah CGC has my hopefully 9.8 copy now, but at the time I had zero reason to buy more than one. I think most of the time it is impossible to predict when a modern issue will become a key, or even what will become hot.

Raise your hand if you bought multiple issue of Batman Adventures 12 in 1994. I highly doubt many people did, it was an out of continuity kids comic based on a TV show.