• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,798 posts in this topic

Without the Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars variant there would be no Gwenpool to put on the HTD Incentive / manipulated rarity cover or backstory pages. DSSW #2 is the 1st appearance as it was intended to only be a parody cover and nothing more, just as Groot #1 is the 1st Gwoot, etc

HTD is tailor made for those who were able to get the book cashing in because they thought the DSSW cover was stupid when it came out and missed the boat the 1st time around

Sold my Batman 635 earlier this year for $8. Didn't think anything was special about the book (dolt!). Anyways, it's not getting back into my collection anytime soon. Lesson learned: Know what's going on and who's in each book. It was one that I had read when I first got it and put it away.

Ah well

Sold my Batman 635 earlier this year for $8. Didn't think anything was special about the book (dolt!). Anyways, it's not getting back into my collection anytime soon. Lesson learned: Know what's going on and who's in each book. It was one that I had read when I first got it and put it away.

Ah well

Looks like Batman 567, 570, and 655 may be getting some heat soon also. It kinda bugs me, but so much about moderns is now dependent on other media.

I purchased and then resold Saga 1 (granted it was a 9.2 at best) about 2 years ago for a small profit. That does not make me too happy these days. I also sold my NM 98 (about a 9.0) about 1 year ago for $100, now I could get like $150 or more for it. We all have bad luck at times. Right now all the stuff I am hopeful on I dugout of my basement long boxes and sent to grading at NYCC.

Edited by drotto

People are holding and hoping for the next NM98 or WD1.

I'm pretty sure that NM98 and WD1 becoming a big deal is at least partially because nobody was holding them... and even when they were a few years old... no one cared.

It's a catch-22 to hold something immediately and hope it becomes the kind of thing nobody held for years.

The thing is you never know. Look at Batman 635. I bought that issue new 15 years ago, read it, bagged it, and forgot about it for 15 years. Now the stupid thing is shooting though the roof, based on movie rumors. Yeah CGC has my hopefully 9.8 copy now, but at the time I had zero reason to buy more than one. I think most of the time it is impossible to predict when a modern issue will become a key, or even what will become hot.

Raise your hand if you bought multiple issue of Batman Adventures 12 in 1994. I highly doubt many people did, it was an out of continuity kids comic based on a TV show.

Right. You're making the case that stocking up on brand new books is not going to work out most of the time.

The books that become popular are the ones that no one stocked up on... the ones that disappeared into the unimportant boxes and closets of forgotten collections.

Lots of people stocked up on Adventures of Superman #500 (white bag) during the same year that Batman Adventures #12 was released.

How did that work out? At cover price, they could have bought two copies of BA #12 for every one of Adv. of Superman #500.

Today, that's $2,000 vs. about 50cents (if you're lucky).

If Gwenpool was a pretty cool character that no one really noticed, it would be like Harley Quinn in the 1990s and collecting BA #12 was about a buck apiece. It had nowhere to go but up. When the investment is $1, you can't lose more than $1. 20 copies of BA #12 was $20.

Instead, Gwenpool is a hyped at-least-second Gwenwhatever that people are flocking toward with big dollars in their hands. When the investment is $200, you can lose $200. 20 copies of a $200 Gwenpool is $4,000. What's going to push Gwenpool into the stratosphere? The fact that she's the at-least-second Gwenwhatever? What if the third one is more popular? Gwenverine? Gwenagneto? Gwenfessor X? Gwen Goblin? Gwengwen the Gwenniest?

It's always best to let the crazies overpay and buy 3 to 6 months later... if you still care. For every 1 book that costs more in the 3rd to 6th month because it is somehow still popular, there will be 19 that have dropped way down... and you end up ahead every time. (In fact, you don't even have to buy those 19, now that you know they are losers.)

Yeah. Captain Marvel #17 2nd print is what drives my opinion. Its her 3rd appearance but she is on the cover and look at what those books sell for now. Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars #2 is the same thing but a 1st appearance. Seems pretty obvious to me.

which is why I don't understand why it isn't taking off. It fills the requirements of why a modern comic gets hot yet the Howard variant blows it away.

Edited by krighton

Yeah. Captain Marvel #17 2nd print is what drives my opinion. Its her 3rd appearance but she is on the cover and look at what those books sell for now. Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars #2 is the same thing but a 1st appearance. Seems pretty obvious to me.

which is why I don't understand why it isn't taking off. It fills the requirements of why a modern comic gets hot yet the Howard variant blows it away.

It also fills the requirement for a crash. Most stable priced issues seem to simmer rather than soar. From my experience price stable books are ones that years later people realize were important, or ones that built over time. Not these come out and 2 weeks later they are in the stratosphere. Harley is the perfect example of this (despite going from slow build to very hot). BA 12 and Batman Harley Quinn are now key books, and priced as such. But they were not issues people horded, or over night sensations, it took a long time for them to gain value. Now I can see a price dip over then next few years, but nobody is going to have that currently $1500 book be worth $10 in the foreseeable future.

The ink is too dry. Captain Marvel #17 2nd print is almost two years old.

Ill mention it since i dont think someone has.

Ssw2 = cover only

Howard 1 = variant + back up story, + cover, a better cover.

I think the 1:25 makes people chase it and pay top dollar because is not a comic you can walk into a shop and find it in the new comics rack like ssw2 was. At least those 3 points make the book more desireable to me.

also, her story intro was fun to read and the art is great.

Edited by Santos208

If only for the Howard the Duck connection, I just want to point out a contrasting situation:

The first appearance of KISS (the band) in a comic book was in Howard the Duck #12, with a full story in Howard the Duck #13 (1977).

Those comics are 38 years old, feature the first comic book appearance and story of a "cult favorite" rock band which has sold more than 100 million albums and are famous for their, let's say, "supervillain" costumes.

You can still find those comics for $1. I guess I hope Gwenpool is bigger than KISS, for a lot of your sakes.

Ill mention it since i dont think someone has.

Ssw2 = cover only

Howard 1 = variant + back up story, + cover, a better cover.

I think the 1:25 makes people chase it and pay top dollar because is not a comic you can walk into a shop and find it in the new comics rack like ssw2 was. At least those 3 points make the book more desireable to me.

also, her story intro was fun to read and the art is great.

Agree that the 1:25 is the motivating factor. Disagree about the better cover. Gwen in a pool = Gwenpool. Genius cover imo (thumbs u

If only for the Howard the Duck connection, I just want to point out a contrasting situation:

The first appearance of KISS (the band) in a comic book was in Howard the Duck #12, with a full story in Howard the Duck #13 (1977).

Those comics are 38 years old, feature the first comic book appearance and story of a "cult favorite" rock band which has sold more than 100 million albums and are famous for their, let's say, "supervillain" costumes.

You can still find those comics for $1. I guess I hope Gwenpool is bigger than KISS, for a lot of your sakes.

No one can predict the future, as the future does not exist, but one thing goes for sure: what Steve Gerber did – and not only with Howard – will last (not necessarily monetarily), most what Marvel is doing now… I doubt.

These Gwen-monstrosities have the taste of Taxidermy… :sick:

Walking Dead 100 2nd print is going to be a BEAST. I think median sales in 9.8 will be $300-500 w/highs being even more than that if they can do him right on the show...especially the 1st episode he appears.

This guy may be on to something. I bid on a 9.8 and stopped at $200 - it just ended on E-Bay at $318! That's almost double last GPA. Glad I listened to his advice and grabbed a NM+ possible 9.8 copy earlier this week for $40.

Edited by 1Cool

what's the rarity of the Deadpool Secret Secret 2 Gwenpool cover.

Speculators have said 30-40K copies, but with it being a Percentage Variant, I would say it would be much lower. Cannot remember which book you had to base the percentage off, but it was probably a Deadpool book. And Deadpool is high print run/orders enough to make the 150%-200% requirement hard for most bigger places (like my LCS).

Sold all 20 copies this week. Also sold all 10 of my 1st prints.

The guy I bought the NM+ copy from is in Canada - bet I bought one of your copies.

Walking Dead 100 2nd print is going to be a BEAST. I think median sales in 9.8 will be $300-500 w/highs being even more than that if they can do him right on the show...especially the 1st episode he appears.

This guy may be on to something. I bid on a 9.8 and stopped at $200 - it just ended on E-Bay at $318! That's almost double last GPA. Glad I listened to his advice and grabbed a NM+ possible 9.8 copy earlier this week for $40.

Killer cover+tough cover+Walking dead badass+2nd print VARIANT

=

Yup.. Another key was born