• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

I totally would have canceled my subscription service, and I would also make sure that the manager (or owner) knows exactly why.

A power trip over a $3 comic book. How effin' pathetic is that...? Loser.

I think its time to find another way to get your comics (e.g., DCBS, another LCS, etc.) ... These guys don't appreciate you, your prior working relationship or common standards of courtesy. Hit the road & don't look back!

So I use to work at my LCS, for about five years, and all but two of the guys that work there are ... let's just say jerks.

So I walked in the other day to pick up a copy of thief of thieves #2 and #3. Now, mind you, the issues has been out for well over a month, and there were at least 30 on the shelf. I noticed a little sign under the issues stating "one one per customer". I thought, cool! I've already grabbed a few in the past month to make runs to put on ebay, I'll grab another now. Now, I know that I had already bought 2 or 3 since it had come out, but I didn't expect them to know that. When I walked up to the counter, the guy ringing me up (lets call him D-Bag), stops and says he has to run and grab something from the back of the store. I'm not stupid like he assumes I am, and I see him talking to another clerk (lets call him FahQwit). D-Bag then comes back up to the counter, and in the MOST awkward way says "yeah, we gonna have to put this one back" referring to issue 2, stating that I had already bought one weeks earlier. I was stunned, because although he had every reason to deny me the book, there were at least 30 copies of it on the shelf - not to mention I had been a previous employee. I know that D-Bag did it because he doesn't like me and he COULD do it, but jeeze, I almost canceled my subscription box and walked out at that very moment.

Fixed it for you. (thumbs u

Edited by jjeanius

The store is "That's Entertainment"

and the names I used were actual.

The only reason that I didn't cancel my sub is that it really is the only decent comic store anywhere close to where I am.

I do think that I'll have a chat with the manager next time I go in. He's one of the only two decent people that work there. It's a real shame too, I love the store, just not the people that work there.

I totally would have canceled my subscription service, and I would also make sure that the manager (or owner) knows exactly why.

A power trip over a $3 comic book. How effin' pathetic is that...? Loser.

But I mean seriously. There is some BADDD power tripping going on in this store. You know the kind, where you're not profiting from the store selling Merch (you're just getting your hourly wage), but for some unknow reason you feel compelled to price things too high because you become greedy, or deny selling things to someone because you simply don't like them.

and the worst thing is I've been nothing but polite to these people, giving them respect but receiving none back - clearly.

Edited by Phillip

Discount Comic Book Service, Midtown Comics, & tons of others offer online services, deliver to your door, give reasonable discounts etc. & you can still Fi to that store when necessary & not ratify or condone the behavior. The only early you are going to change business practices is to hit them in their wallet. Good Luck!

The only reason that I didn't cancel my sub is that it really is the only decent comic store anywhere close to where I am.

I do think that I'll have a chat with the manager next time I go in. He's one of the only two decent people that work there. It's a real shame too, I love the store, just not the people that work there.

This was apparently a personal beef between you and the employee. Talk to the owner let him take care of the employees.

If he does the right thing please come back here and tell us because you already smeared the store because of a beef with an employee that could be there for all types of reasons unrelated to the owner or the store.

I'm also very lucky to have a LCS owner that keeps hot books on the shelves after they are selling for 3 -5 times cover to encourage people to pick up a series. It makes economic sense too. For example, Fatale 1 is selling for $15 on ebay he sells a customer a copy at cover, they fall in love with the series and purchase the next 30 issues from him. He makes more money that way than selling books for a little profit on feebay. After reading your post about the manager (and owner?) being a good guy, I think it is a no brainer - speak to him. I also think you should remove the name of the shop from the other posts so as not to give the shop a bad name because of a couple bone head employees.

I used to go to the one in Fitchburg or Worcester I can't remember exactly...this was in 1988 when I was living in Leominster..was a nice shop,and HUGE! Too bad for that experience.

Yeah, it's the one in Worcester.

The owner is actually a REALLY nice guy! My dad had been going into the store since he was a kid, which is how I got the job to begin with. The owner lives in FL, however, so he's almost never at the store.

The problem is that there are several individuals who have worked there for 10+ years, and don't seem to be wanting to do anything else. That's cool for them, I'm not one to put people down because of their career choice, but at least don't be a schmuck if you're "unhappy" with your situation or what ever.

The manager there, the one decent guy, is VERY old school in all of his practices. I know he respect me as an individual, but I can't help feeling that he won't do anything. The employee with a grudge is one of the 10+ guys.

ugh, what are you to do you know? I'm hoping of moving soon so I can experience a new shop.

The owner of my LCS has actually comped his main employee with a few shares in the business so that he benefits above his salary if the shop does well.

The result? The guy works his arse off to make extra sales and help people find the stuff they need. I'm not saying he wouldn't do this anyway, but I'm sure the little extra incentive works and that benefits the employer, the employee and the customer.

Image sellouts...2nd and 3rd printings...variants galore...now...

The 90s are back in full :censored: effect.

Seriously...don't click until after you've seen 'The Avengers'.

The Infinity Gauntlet is blowing up!

Get your books now for the next series of films...

(Iron Man 55 has also shot through the roof...)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starlin-INFINITY-GAUNTLET-Lot-1-6-Set-THANOS-Vs-X-MEN-AVENGERS-Everyone-NM-/150806173925?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item231cbf98e5

Edited by umyeahwhatevers

The eBay breakdown on Thief of Thieves CGC for those following it:

Comicspro CGC SS (K&S) 9.8 is at $832 with 4 days left;

Image Comics EXPO (ICE) 9.8 SS (K&S) is at $350 w/ 6 days left;

The regular CGC 9.8 is at $310 w/ 24 hrs. left;

Another regular CGC 9.8 is at $294 w/ 3 days left;

a reg CGC 9.6 SS is at $99 w/ 3 days left; and

a reg CGC 9.4 is at $99 w/ 6 1/2 hrs. left.

This book is on fire & I just want to know if it will ever burn out ?

$99 for a CGC 9.4? That's just idiotic as 95% of the raws that have been selling for $25-$45 lately have got to be at least 9.4. I can see a premium for a 9.8, because you can't really be sure it's a 9.8, but a 9.4? should be pretty easy with a modern off the shelf.

I'm also very lucky to have a LCS owner that keeps hot books on the shelves after they are selling for 3 -5 times cover to encourage people to pick up a series. It makes economic sense too. For example, Fatale 1 is selling for $15 on ebay he sells a customer a copy at cover, they fall in love with the series and purchase the next 30 issues from him. He makes more money that way than selling books for a little profit on feebay. After reading your post about the manager (and owner?) being a good guy, I think it is a no brainer - speak to him. I also think you should remove the name of the shop from the other posts so as not to give the shop a bad name because of a couple bone head employees.

yeah, but if he lets one guy buy them all up in different visits then this isn't going to happen now will it?

of course, phillip's situation is different. the books have been sitting there a month. he bought his last one 2 weeks ago. not the same as some guy coming back every hour to avoid the "one per customer" rule to clean the place out of a hot book the day it comes out.

It makes economic sense too. For example, Fatale 1 is selling for $15 on ebay he sells a customer a copy at cover, they fall in love with the series and purchase the next 30 issues from him.

it actually makes no economic sense at all. if you're relying on customers to hopefully pick up a book and then buy the next 30 issues, you're asking for trouble. it's one thing to keep a book at cover until the next issue comes out, or at least until the book is older than a week, but selling books at cover when they're $15-25 on ebay and have been out for a minute is horrible business, and it is one reason why stores go out of business.

Edited by Hawkman

It makes economic sense too. For example, Fatale 1 is selling for $15 on ebay he sells a customer a copy at cover, they fall in love with the series and purchase the next 30 issues from him.

it actually makes no economic sense at all. if you're relying on customers to hopefully pick up a book and then buy the next 30 issues, you're asking for trouble. it's one thing to keep a book at cover until the next issue comes out, or at least until the book is older than a week, but selling books at cover when they're $15-25 on ebay and have been out for a minute is horrible business, and it is one reason why stores go out of business.

:popcorn: