• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

It makes economic sense too. For example, Fatale 1 is selling for $15 on ebay he sells a customer a copy at cover, they fall in love with the series and purchase the next 30 issues from him.

it actually makes no economic sense at all. if you're relying on customers to hopefully pick up a book and then buy the next 30 issues, you're asking for trouble. it's one thing to keep a book at cover until the next issue comes out, or at least until the book is older than a week, but selling books at cover when they're $15-25 on ebay and have been out for a minute is horrible business, and it is one reason why stores go out of business.

:popcorn:

It's Friday. Tonight's gonna be a good night. :banana:

It makes economic sense too. For example, Fatale 1 is selling for $15 on ebay he sells a customer a copy at cover, they fall in love with the series and purchase the next 30 issues from him.

it actually makes no economic sense at all. if you're relying on customers to hopefully pick up a book and then buy the next 30 issues, you're asking for trouble. it's one thing to keep a book at cover until the next issue comes out, or at least until the book is older than a week, but selling books at cover when they're $15-25 on ebay and have been out for a minute is horrible business, and it is one reason why stores go out of business.

He's been in business for 25 plus years and has enjoyed sucess when numerous other small businesses have failed. My LCS has countless customers who appreciate the level of courtesy & respect he affords them. Those customers and myself are loyal. He'll pick up on the merry go round what he loses on the swing.

Seeing that most sellouts get a second print nowadays I tend to agree, although under the system where second prints were much rarer it makes some sense.

Thing is, some shops just don't do ebay or only do it for expensive stuff and, clearly, if the book is old and unsold the shop doesn't have local clientelle who want to pay the price.

On the other hand, giving a solid customer the book for cover just to help maintain good will in general goes a long way.

On the other hand, giving a solid customer the book for cover just to help maintain good will in general goes a long way.

Yup. Pull $3 book from shelf, sell on eBay for $25 = $22 profit.

$22 profit = about 15 books bought by a pull file customer.

It's easy to see how a little loyalty and good will will outweigh the quick buck. (thumbs u

FYI: My LCS got their B covers today which were very Sharp. They got 25 more A covers which all had spine ticks.

:o 9.8's are going to be impossible!

It's easy to see how a little loyalty and good will will outweigh the quick buck. (thumbs u

if you want customer loyalty, be nice when they enter the store. say hello, and ask if they need any help. most comic shop workers aren't all that nice (at least 90% in my area are meh to plain rude) and don't engage anyone in conversation. you'll get far more customers by just being nice and remembering their name when they come in often then by having a particular book that's hot on your shelves.

again, if you've been in business for 25 yeas, great. doesn't mean you're a great businessman though. vast majority of comic shops don't pay attention to ebay or online sells. it's horrible business no matter how you twist it.

FYI: My LCS got their B covers today which were very Sharp. They got 25 more A covers which all had spine ticks.

OMG! OMG OMG OMG!

Can anyone PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE try to help me find a nice 9.8 candidate of cover A...if you don't already want this elusive hen's tooth for yourself...?!? I don't know if I will ever be able to find one now!

if you want customer loyalty, be nice when they enter the store. say hello, and ask if they need any help. most comic shop workers aren't all that nice (at least 90% in my area are meh to plain rude) and don't engage anyone in conversation. you'll get far more customers by just being nice and remembering their name when they come in often then by having a particular book that's hot on your shelves.

again, if you've been in business for 25 yeas, great. doesn't mean you're a great businessman though. vast majority of comic shops don't pay attention to ebay or online sells. it's horrible business no matter how you twist it.

I am actually with you on all of this, especially the bolded part.

There is a middle ground to be walked, though. It's not good business to scoop all books off your racks at the first sign the book is heating up on eBay. Taking care of your customers and engendering loyalty will pay off many times over.

I almost canceled my subscription box and walked out at that very moment.

Ahem: you should have canceled your subscription box, left the other books on the counter and walked out, never to come back ...

(tsk)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=5163472&Searchpage=1&Main=237576&Words=addicts+RockMyAmadeus&topic=0&Search=true#Post5163472

:cloud9:

Image sellouts...2nd and 3rd printings...variants galore...now...

The 90s are back in full :censored: effect.

Seriously...don't click until after you've seen 'The Avengers'.

The Infinity Gauntlet is blowing up!

Get your books now for the next series of films...

(Iron Man 55 has also shot through the roof...)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starlin-INFINITY-GAUNTLET-Lot-1-6-Set-THANOS-Vs-X-MEN-AVENGERS-Everyone-NM-/150806173925?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item231cbf98e5

:whee:

RMA is on the money ... those books (1st appearance and others) where (spoiler) is the subject character are going up, up and away! :) I had the same idea as RMA but looked a few days ago with similar results as today.

I almost canceled my subscription box and walked out at that very moment.

Ahem: you should have canceled your subscription box, left the other books on the counter and walked out, never to come back ...

(tsk)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=5163472&Searchpage=1&Main=237576&Words=addicts+RockMyAmadeus&topic=0&Search=true#Post5163472

:cloud9:

Could you explain this? - I know I'm missing something here..

a couple of years ago I was looking for creepy 1 at a shop i hit now and then. it had sold out at my main shops as nobody ordered more than 3 copies. that shop only had the more expensive variant cover, which he let me have at regular cover price (plus a subsequent discount because i bought some other stuff). the shop is way out of my way, but since then i have always tried to get over there when possible and have probably dropped 5 figures there since then. true, i'd probably try to get over there now and then anyway, but after that little gesture I feel guilty if I don't make a solid effort to do so, like i met my wife near there recently when i could have just as easily picked somewhere else.

Anyway, after fees and other hassle on ebay (not to mention time spent packing, etc.), it's not a $22 profit. Don't you see how someone may not want to be bothered selling 3 low price items on ebay a week?

Funny thing is, one shop I hit recently, who was pretty savy in terms of WD being hot (and has sold every $10-$20 generic WD issue he had up on his wall), was clueless as to TOT, Uncharted, etc.