• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,791 posts in this topic

because it seems to be moving well, also being talked about

http://investcomics.com/weekly-hot-picks/investcomics-hot-picks-401

It is moving well because it was talked about on that site. Lemmings.

If Wizard only had a website in the 90s they would have been able to invent hot books so much quicker.

lol

On a side note, are the Divinity variants 1:30 and 1:40 still sought after?

I could sell my #3… hm

because it seems to be moving well, also being talked about

http://investcomics.com/weekly-hot-picks/investcomics-hot-picks-401

It is moving well because it was talked about on that site. Lemmings.

If Wizard only had a website in the 90s they would have been able to invent hot books so much quicker.

lol

On a side note, are the Divinity variants 1:30 and 1:40 still sought after?

I could sell my #3… hm

I think so, here is a whole Variant Vol. 1 for sale

Divinity Vol 1 eBay

Wow! There is to say *if they sell*, however.

I still regret not buying the 1:40 variant for #1. I like the 1:20 variant of #3, so I am undecided if to sell it or not… :)

Well that #1 is no 9.8 that is for sure, but the rest appear quite nice! #3 will have more significance in Volume 2.

:grin:

Fair enough. I wouldn't categorize myself as smug, but if I came off that way, I get it.

As for my needing to save the universe, trust me, I don't have the time or inclination. I just found the movement on that particular book coinciding with that site's article to be more than a coincidence. As I said, the book was out 2-3 weeks with no discernible movement until that site mentioned why that book *should be* hot. At the time, they themselves said there were no copies on eBay (although that wasn't entirely true. There were copies, they just were selling for cover or not at all until they mentioned the book.) If you want to believe this book moved for other reasons, that's cool. We'll just agree to disagree.

Another site that I found that can have an impact on a books movement is Bleeding Cool.

I also understand many don't care why a book moves, they are just in it for the money. And that's cool too.

Yea :hi:

If a book moves because a "spec" site likes it, that's a bad reason to invest. If a book moves because of a media deal, key issue, or rarity, that's a good reason to invest.

If it's a comic book that's a bad reason to "invest". :gossip:

+1

Every time someone uses the word 'invest' in regards to comics, I can't help but chuckle.

And 'movement', that's another one.

'Movement' lol "Some sucker on eBay bought a copy! Get yours ready!"

Fair enough. I wouldn't categorize myself as smug, but if I came off that way, I get it.

As for my needing to save the universe, trust me, I don't have the time or inclination. I just found the movement on that particular book coinciding with that site's article to be more than a coincidence. As I said, the book was out 2-3 weeks with no discernible movement until that site mentioned why that book *should be* hot. At the time, they themselves said there were no copies on eBay (although that wasn't entirely true. There were copies, they just were selling for cover or not at all until they mentioned the book.) If you want to believe this book moved for other reasons, that's cool. We'll just agree to disagree.

Another site that I found that can have an impact on a books movement is Bleeding Cool.

I also understand many don't care why a book moves, they are just in it for the money. And that's cool too.

If a book moves because a "spec" site likes it, that's a bad reason to invest. If a book moves because of a media deal, key issue, or rarity, that's a good reason to invest.

+1

Every time someone uses the word 'invest' in regards to comics, I can't help but chuckle.

One can invest in comics, they just have to be the right comics. Are key moderns a bad investment? Maybe. But with print runs far lower than the copper age isn't it fair to say some of this era's comics may be quite rare in decades to come.

I think this might be be to general of a statement,

"If it's a comic book that's a bad reason to "invest".

+1

This +1000. Traditionally, an investment is something that generates income while it is held and speculation is something held in anticipation of gains when it is sold. So, comics, gold and tulips are not investments they are speculation. Bonds are an investment. Stocks could be either one. Neither is a bad thing, but the strategies for maximizing returns are different for each.

This is a great article, that helps explain the nuances in the distinction:

Investing vs. Speculating

QFT- "So, if you buy something with the expectation or hope that you can eventually sell it to someone else for more than you paid, that’s a speculation. ...

Overall, we can describe ourselves and the way we participate in the market any way we want. It’s more important to be aware of what exactly we are partaking in, and are honest with ourselves as to why we’re doing it. " :preach:

The key is that neither are "wrong" just different and apply different rules. If you look at your comics as a financial instrument, then you need to understand what sort of financial instrument they are and how best to maximize your return.

For me, I don't see comics as a financial instrument. They are a hobby. However, I don't have a problem with people that do see comics as a financial instrument and behave ethically toward that end. I like them because they buy my comics in which I have no interest.

For me, my investments are in my portfolio and my comics are in my closet lol

Edited by Mike's Rack

+1

One can invest in comics, they just have to be the right comics. Are key moderns a bad investment? Maybe. But with print runs far lower than the copper age isn't it fair to say some of this era's comics may be quite rare in decades to come.

I think this might be be to general of a statement,

"If it's a comic book that's a bad reason to "invest".

Read the article referenced. Comics are not investments. Have you watched The league season 3? Reminds me of Taco explaining investments. lol

One night on Twitter Joe Hill asked me who would be a good fit to illustrate a new IDW horror project.

I said Charles Paul Wilson III

He said thank you.

ThhMCSUl.jpg

+1

This +1000. Traditionally, an investment is something that generates income while it is held and speculation is something held in anticipation of gains when it is sold. So, comics, gold and tulips are not investments they are speculation. Bonds are an investment. Stocks could be either one. Neither is a bad thing, but the strategies for maximizing returns are different for each.

QFT- "So, if you buy something with the expectation or hope that you can eventually sell it to someone else for more than you paid, that’s a speculation. ...

Overall, we can describe ourselves and the way we participate in the market any way we want. It’s more important to be aware of what exactly we are partaking in, and are honest with ourselves as to why we’re doing it. " :preach:

The key is that neither are "wrong" just different and apply different rules. If you look at your comics as a financial instrument, then you need to understand what sort of financial instrument they are and how best to maximize your return.

For me, I don't see comics as a financial instrument. They are a hobby. However, I don't have a problem with people that do see comics as a financial instrument and behave ethically toward that end. I like them because they buy my comics in which I have no interest.

The article talks in circles really, basically how the author chose to phase things.

Investing: Pay yourself first

Well, the old way was easy to tell. An investment is something that pays you. So is real estate an investment? It can be. If you purchase a house or a building and then rent it out, the answer is yes. Of course, if the income doesn’t cover your expenses, then it’s a bad investment.

The same can be said of buying artwork, or any other collectible, and yes, even an education. You may get back what you put in, and maybe more. And then again, you may not. On the other hand, buying a business fits the classic definition. The caveat, of course is that that how “good” an investment depends on how much profit is derived from owning it.

IMHO if someone chooses to invest in key comic books its not wrong or right but up to the person investing. If this concept is so foreign then why do people invest in futures of commodities all the time in hopes it goes up or down. Or someone choosing to invest in a countries currency - short or long. Its always a gamble in anything.

Capitalism needs to be taught.

IMHO if someone chooses to invest in key comic books its not wrong or right but up to the person investing. If this concept is so foreign then why do people invest in futures of commodities all the time in hopes it goes up or down. Or someone choosing to invest in a countries currency - short or long. Its always a gamble in anything.

I suspect this is what gamblers believe. (thumbs u

Well then you'd have to include most of the traders on wall street in that category too. lol

Well then you'd have to include most of the traders on wall street in that category too. lol

Yup, gamblers. (thumbs u

+1

The article talks in circles really, basically how the author chose to phase things.

Investing: Pay yourself first

Well, the old way was easy to tell. An investment is something that pays you. So is real estate an investment? It can be. If you purchase a house or a building and then rent it out, the answer is yes. Of course, if the income doesn’t cover your expenses, then it’s a bad investment.

The same can be said of buying artwork, or any other collectible, and yes, even an education. You may get back what you put in, and maybe more. And then again, you may not. On the other hand, buying a business fits the classic definition. The caveat, of course is that that how “good” an investment depends on how much profit is derived from owning it.

Taken out of context, the quoted portion may seem confusing. However, the point is pretty straight forward, artwork and collectibles are generally not an investment because they don't pay income while you hold them. Any gains are realized on the back end when they are sold. But, they could be investments if they were able to generate income while you held them e.g. artwork in an art museum that generated revenue. But in the end, it's all semantics. I'm not here to defend the article. If someone wants to call them investments, I don't have a problem with that, I just don't agree with them.