• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

I hate to bring this up, but it is news worthy.

No one discussing the Marvel discounting of variants again?

Seems like if you know a comic shop and you want a Marvel variant cheaper, I would cozy up to one sometime soon.

Marvel Discounting Again

Edited by Fastballspecial

Seems like if you know a comic shop and you want a Marvel variant cheaper, I would cozy up to one sometime soon.

Marvel Discounting Again

Not to entice a print run discussion but this seems like a terrible idea to me for modern variant collectors. If Marvel has storage rooms full of unclaimed variants that they are willing to sell then won't the books claimed the "fair" way have their value cut? I guess if Marvel hyper inflates the prices of these new variants that shouldn't effect much.

Marvel Discounting Again

These look like the same ones that were sold last summer.

Mostly non-ratio based and/or low 1:10s that tempted few retailers.

In other words, the same excess inventory, unordered drek that you always see in these things.

-J.

Marvel Discounting Again

These look like the same ones that were sold last summer.

Mostly non-ratio based and/or low 1:10s that tempted few retailers.

In other words, the same excess inventory, unordered drek that you always see in these things.

-J.

Not that I am really disagreeing, but I thought it was fair to at least point this out.

UPDATE: Here’s a few more… Marvel is unloading a total of 1110 variants. Many other issues meet or exceed the 1:25 criteria

Here is how a hot artist can change a book.

Tomb Raider 33

For years I couldnt keep that Bikini cover in my store for more then a day or two.

Last Week I found a TR33 Hughes and the Daniel TR33 Bikini cover. Which sold the first day?

Thats right the Hughes TR33. For years I used to look at them in disgust and pass them buy. Amazing how an artist can change that.

We looked, it's a majority of percentile variants nobody wanted, all the goods were gone in minutes of Diamond sending out the email,

And it is still a bunch of Secret Wars variants leftover from last years sale.

Conspiracy theorists, begone. Drinking that BC kool aid is bad for your health.

We looked, it's a majority of percentile variants nobody wanted, all the goods were gone in minutes of Diamond sending out the email,

And it is still a bunch of Secret Wars variants leftover from last years sale.

Conspiracy theorists, begone. Drinking that BC kool aid is bad for your health.

That's what I saw as well.

I'm gathering whatever remaining doesn't sell here is the sort of stuff that ends up in five below packs at the end of the line.

-J.

I agree, sounds like Marvel's variant market is about to get flooded.

....with a lot of garbage variants nobody wanted in the first place. If they are sought after people would have bought most by now. There might by 3-5 of a hot variant that they did not previously have accounted for.

....with a lot of garbage variants nobody wanted in the first place. If they are sought after people would have bought most by now. There might by 3-5 of a hot variant that they did not previously have accounted for.

I am curious, what do they sell them to dealers for in this situation?

looks like stuff my LCS might put out at cover price.

I agree, there's at least a chance that there are some in there that some customers (or possibly retailers) didn't buy some of them initially because they didn't want to pay above cover, but would consider at a reduced price.

Or possibly that a book or creator has gotten hotter in the time since the book was initially released

I agree, there's at least a chance that there are some in there that some customers (or possibly retailers) didn't buy some of them initially because they didn't want to pay above cover, but would consider at a reduced price.

Or possibly that a book or creator has gotten hotter in the time since the book was initially released

That is typically the case. I remember someone saying they got some of the Dell 'Otto Original Sin variants last time.

That is typically the case. I remember someone saying they got some of the Dell 'Otto Original Sin variants last time.

None of the Dell'otto's were offered. Copies of the 1:25 of a couple of the other issues were though.

The only two books of note that were offered in any of these that were worth anything were the Ramos variant to ASM 4 and the variant to Ultimate Fallout 4.

-J.

Deadpool #2 1:100 Hip Hop was $2.00 in last years sale, and all went to one retailer whom sold me 2 9.8 candidates because he's a nice guy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deadpool-2-1-100-hip-hop-variant-cover-Vanilla-Ice-hip-hop-Mike-Hawthorne-/192038936265?hash=item2cb6699ec9:g:gC8AAOSwa~BYO4dt

Why did they have any left over and why unload them for $2??

Deadpool #2 1:100 Hip Hop was $2.00 in last years sale, and all went to one retailer whom sold me 2 9.8 candidates because he's a nice guy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deadpool-2-1-100-hip-hop-variant-cover-Vanilla-Ice-hip-hop-Mike-Hawthorne-/192038936265?hash=item2cb6699ec9:g:gC8AAOSwa~BYO4dt

Why did they have any left over and why unload them for $2??

It was less than 20 copies, Diamond doesn't mark up incentives, and the distribution of #2 was HALF of #1.