• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Erndog said:

What's the deal with Spawn #310?  Seen a lot of people talking about it.  My understanding is that it is the first cover app of Ninja Spawn (who debuted backed in #297 or something).  

I believe there are 4 covers and the Ninja Spawn is one of the variants... along with a B&W one.

Did I get this right?

Yes. The B&W cover is a 1 for 5 ratio variant provided to retailers based on their orders of the other 3 covers.

Spawn is a book that is worth adding to your file. It seems like every few issues there is one that pops. 

Edited by kimik

53 minutes ago, gradejunky said:

I just got my copies of 309 from DCBS...2 of my 5 copies of cover B's were not very nice.  One was real bad and of course they are long sold out so there is no way I'm getting replacements.  I'm not too happy.  My copies of Spawn from them have not been good all around, lot's of spine issues going on with the last few issues of Spawn.  Anyone else experiencing bad copies of Spawn, or is it just me???

20200905_181614.thumb.jpg.c7e8a98851d992cda1196a27cf36452c.jpg

Ouch, that looks like a DCBS handling issue.

1 minute ago, kimik said:

Yes. The B&W cover is a 1 for 5 ratio variant provided to retailers based on their orders of the other 3 covers.

Spawn is a book that is worth adding to your file. It seems like every few issues there is one that pops. 

I've noticed as well.  Lots of popular variant covers and frankly, I am thinking of picking up all the homage covers myself for my own collection 

Spawn #66 was the first comic I bought that essentially propelled me into this comic maniac I have become.  Hes always been a "fav" character of mine.

Just now, Erndog said:

I've noticed as well.  Lots of popular variant covers and frankly, I am thinking of picking up all the homage covers myself for my own collection 

Spawn #66 was the first comic I bought that essentially propelled me into this comic maniac I have become.  Hes always been a "fav" character of mine.

I lucked into a big stack of the homage covers at a Calgary Expo four years ago. One of the LCSs had them in their $1 bins not knowing what they were. There are close to 70, if I recall correctly, and I sold most of them the next two days for a nice profit at my tables. :flipbait:

7 minutes ago, kimik said:

I lucked into a big stack of the homage covers at a Calgary Expo four years ago. One of the LCSs had them in their $1 bins not knowing what they were. There are close to 70, if I recall correctly, and I sold most of them the next two days for a nice profit at my tables. :flipbait:

That many now huh?  Wow.

I've chatted with some big Spawn collectors and the homage covers seem to be uber popular.  From what I gather, a good chunk of them sell between that $70-125 price range which is the sweet spot for collecting variant covers I think.  There are some cheaper ones as well making them a nice chase.  I've hummed and hawed with the idea in a number of occasions - I just haven't lucked into a good stack yet that would likely sway my decision instead of starting from ground zero.

Just now, Erndog said:

That many now huh?  Wow.

I've chatted with some big Spawn collectors and the homage covers seem to be uber popular.  From what I gather, a good chunk of them sell between that $70-125 price range which is the sweet spot for collecting variant covers I think.  There are some cheaper ones as well making them a nice chase.  I've hummed and hawed with the idea in a number of occasions - I just haven't lucked into a good stack yet that would likely sway my decision instead of starting from ground zero.

Sorry, I meant to say that there were around 70 in that stack. Only a couple of each of the AF 15, Action 1 and ASM 300 swipes so they obviously sold well at the store or had already been picked. There were 5 - 10 of each of the other covers. All sold well.

1 minute ago, followtheleader said:

Glad to see Spawn 119 finally picking up steam.  But still far undervalued compared to 174 and 175.  174 is a beast.  Glad I grabbed my copies a long time ago.

Patrick

Spawn 179, 1st War Spawn, is starting to pop now too. The print runs on those issues from #170 to 250 are too small to meet demand.

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Spawn 179, 1st War Spawn, is starting to pop now too. The print runs on those issues from #170 to 250 are too small to meet demand.

Wondered if it would take off.  Keep thinking mandarin spawn would too, but haven't checked.

Patrick

6 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Glad to see Spawn 119 finally picking up steam.  But still far undervalued compared to 174 and 175.  174 is a beast.  Glad I grabbed my copies a long time ago.

Patrick

It's been pretty expensive for a while

7 hours ago, kimik said:

Well.....the print run on 240 is a lot lower than 170....it's about half.

I was chatting with a buddy yesterday, I told him there's no way Spawn sales on those low print run non keys will maintain those prices longterm.  I've thought about listing my near complete run at auction knowing it will be the highest price I will ever get, but I don't want to sell them.

Edited by spreads

34 minutes ago, BishopT said:

243 is supposed to be the lowest (hey I’m just going by comichron), and it has held pretty much stable for the last two years. Its not close to the most expensive regular cover for Spawn.

The cover itself is the other indicator.  A very nice cover can really affect the value as well. 

1 hour ago, spreads said:
8 hours ago, kimik said:

Well.....the print run on 240 is a lot lower than 170....it's about half.

I was chatting with a buddy yesterday, I told him there's no way Spawn sales on those low print run non keys will maintain those prices longterm.  I've thought about listing my near complete run at auction knowing it will be the highest price I will ever get, but I don't want to sell them.

I would advise you the same I advised SA and GA collectors when Guardians of the Galaxy got big and the 1st Groot appearances were sky rocketing.
Sell when everyone wants them. Not when the price is so high everyone is selling them.