• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,833 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2021 at 4:35 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

818801847_ScreenShot2021-09-10at4_31_24PM.thumb.png.7cc5ad865263e15a725dc78e517a6f5e.png

This Mile High order from a few years back is looking better and better. I submitted that "VeryGood" copy of Vengeance #1 with the 2 NearMints I ordered from them and they came back 9.4, 9.6, and 9.8.

Mile High doesn't usually swing that way, in my experience. Congrats!

Iron Man 10 variant cover looks to be catching fire (albeit with only two recorded sales this past week). I think it has separated itself from the other RDJ photo covers given its relative scarcity. If you have a copy now would be the time to sell.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324785185165?hash=item4b9eb4a18d%3Ag%3AtvsAAOSwonVhO25w&nma=true&si=o%2FX2e8NcT3Ff9YOOwkcgaF4tbgE%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

On 9/10/2021 at 1:55 PM, Terry JSA said:

The good ol’ scumbags of eBay. Pushing a facsimile as the real thing all while disclosing it’s not the actual thing in the description no one ever reads. 

About a month ago I saw a Werewolf by Night 32 facsimile sell for more than $600 (don't remember the exact amount)! I think they mentioned it was a facsimile, but it was buried in a wall of text in the description. I felt so bad for the buyer. I know we have to do our due diligence before bidding, but I understand how someone can get caught up when they see lots of others also bidding large amounts for the same book.

On 9/12/2021 at 9:43 PM, oatcrunch said:

About a month ago I saw a Werewolf by Night 32 facsimile sell for more than $600 (don't remember the exact amount)! I think they mentioned it was a facsimile, but it was buried in a wall of text in the description. I felt so bad for the buyer. I know we have to do our due diligence before bidding, but I understand how someone can get caught up when they see lots of others also bidding large amounts for the same book.

I just don’t see the point from a seller’s perspective - eBay basically lets buyers cancel a sale or make a return (even if the seller specifies no returns) for basically no reason, let alone a questionable listing designed to deceive. Seems like a lot of hassle as a seller. I guess maybe there’s a small chance you get away with it, but there’s a much bigger chance you’ll be processing a refund or a return.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:32 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I just don’t see the point from a seller’s perspective - eBay basically lets buyers cancel a sale or make a return (even if the seller specifies no returns) for basically no reason, let alone a questionable listing designed to deceive. Seems like a lot of hassle as a seller. I guess maybe there’s a small chance you get away with it, but there’s a much bigger chance you’ll be processing a refund or a return.

Consider how recent UF4 is, the buyer may not even realize that it's a facsimile for some time, while it would be much clearer with a facsimile of an older book, since the paper would be different.

On 9/13/2021 at 12:46 AM, littledoom said:

I doubt anyone actually pays for those facsimile three digits sales.. A facsimile selling for even $5 let alone $10 baffles me.... does anyone actually pay for those multi thousand dollar Disney black diamond VHS tapes?

I'm baffled that people spend thousands on video games that were never opened, so who can say what another person is willing to shell out money for.

On 9/12/2021 at 8:32 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I don't understand it either. All it does is make me put them on my blocked list. Cannot be trusted. 

On 9/13/2021 at 2:52 PM, kevhtx said:

People spend thousands on coins they cant spend (or wont spend), shoes they will never wear, stamps they will never use, comics they cant read, and so on and so on. People collect stuff. BFD.

The shoes thing I don't get either. Are there companies that will grade them? If not, I'm sure that's coming soon.

On 9/13/2021 at 9:38 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The shoes thing I don't get either. Are there companies that will grade them? If not, I'm sure that's coming soon.

Coins you cant spend, stamps you cant use, shoes you cant wear, toys you dont open.....there are tons of examples. At some point, some items turn into collectibles where their use isn't valued anymore over just the ownership. Comics are not unique in that regard. I'm not surprised other s*** like video game manuals are starting to see value. I'm just surprised it wasn't sooner. I won't collect them, but someone will.