• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,842 posts in this topic

Five Ghosts SS CGC 9.8 went for $239.

That was a steal if it was the eccc

+1

BTW: WTH is up with all the PGX slabs....both selling and buying!? Does someone need an edumacation?

I do. Not familiar with the difference (I know they are different companies obviously). I assume CGC is better, and would probably only buy CGC, but what is the low-down on PGX???

The search function exists for this kind of query.

Five Ghosts SS CGC 9.8 went for $239.

That was a steal if it was the eccc

+1

BTW: WTH is up with all the PGX slabs....both selling and buying!? Does someone need an edumacation?

I do. Not familiar with the difference (I know they are different companies obviously). I assume CGC is better, and would probably only buy CGC, but what is the low-down on PGX???

The search function exists for this kind of query.

.......which turned up nothing on the boards.

And, I appreciate the help. Thanks for being awesome.

And yes, I know I can google it, and probably have in the past.

I wanted to know the other guy's opinion up there, and what he was referring too.

Dukes40: I'll make it simple with PGX...there's a long history of sketchiness and shadiness with PGX. I don't know the whole story, but from what I've heard there are shifty employees of theirs that have pulled a switchie on comics for encapsulation....like replacing a first print with a third.

Also there have been questions pertaining to the actual grading done by PGX, it's understood that things are subjective to a degree...but apparently they take alot of liberties with their grading. So a PGX 9.8 would be like a CGC of a lesser grade (dunno what to say, 9.6, 9.4, etc.).

I've seen PGX 9.9s that are nowhere close to a 9.9....that Peter Panzerfaust 1 for instance.

Overall PGX is viewed as a dubious choice for slabbing for a variety of reasons including but not limited to quality, honesty, regularity, etc.

Typically you'll also see the prices of PGX slabs are notably different than the same grade CGC.

Not going to say that the CGC doesn't have their problems, but there's been no "criminal" allegations against them as far as I know.

Oh snap! That's a nice cover. The whole series is still doing amazingly well. The hasting variants are moving quickly, the regular issue is gone in seconds if BIN for $25 on eBay, the gamestop variant is still chugging along and now a variant I haven't seen! (thumbs u

Ummm...

On E-Bay, the new Star Wars series has really slowed down since the initial few weeks. The regular issue fetches about $10-$15 (definitely not $25) if it sells at all (most go unsold.) The Gamestop variant has sold as low as $12.50 this week, but most issues are definitely sub $50 now. And the Hasting variants are just sitting there at $10-15 and are not moving at all.

Not sure where you are seeing this other activity.

hm, well I'd disagree when it comes to 9.8 slabs. Here's just one example that ended just 2 weeks ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-1-Dark-Horse-Brian-Wood-HASTINGS-VARIANT-CGC-9-8-/130865677085?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e7833c31d

Oh snap! That's a nice cover. The whole series is still doing amazingly well. The hasting variants are moving quickly, the regular issue is gone in seconds if BIN for $25 on eBay, the gamestop variant is still chugging along and now a variant I haven't seen! (thumbs u

Ummm...

On E-Bay, the new Star Wars series has really slowed down since the initial few weeks. The regular issue fetches about $10-$15 (definitely not $25) if it sells at all (most go unsold.) The Gamestop variant has sold as low as $12.50 this week, but most issues are definitely sub $50 now. And the Hasting variants are just sitting there at $10-15 and are not moving at all.

hm, well I'd disagree when it comes to 9.8 slabs. Here's just one example that ended just 2 weeks ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-1-Dark-Horse-Brian-Wood-HASTINGS-VARIANT-CGC-9-8-/130865677085?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e7833c31d

Why educate anymore? let them think what they want to think.

Ummm...

Because that is what this THREAD is about.

Ummm...

Jimmy, I forgot, this is all supposed to take place in pm!

Ummm...

One of my favorite all-time quotes:

"But the average man doesn’t wish to be told that it is a bull or bear market. What he desires is to be told specifically which particular stock to buy or sell. He wants to get something for nothing. He does not wish to work. He doesn’t even wish to have to think. It is too much bother to have to count the money that he picks up from the ground. "

Ummm...

Jimmy, I forgot, this is all supposed to take place in pm!

what is this illusive pm list that I am not invited to?

Ummm...

That stopped a long time ago

Ummm...

That may be, but I was responding to a post about hasting variants for $25 BIN, Gamestop variants, and the regular issue. I don't think that posting had anything to do with 9.8 slabs. (shrug) As for the silly price achieved for that comic, I'm sure that will end up as an outlier as most modern 9.8, 9.9, and 10 slabs sold are. I doubt many of these issues will fetch that much money.

I thought I was responding to a posting in a thread about moderns that are heating up on E-Bay, not moderns in 9.8+ slabs that fetch high prices. :baiting: With that said, if anything, the issues mentioned are cooling off, not heating up.

Edited by rjrjr

Ummm...

So, educate me. Are the comics mentioned in the post I responded to heating up or cooling off? From what I've seen, the regular Star Wars #1 has cooled off (from over $25 to around $10), the Gamestop variant prices have dropped off a cliff (from $125 down to sub $50), and the Hasting variants never sold well on E-Bay in the first place.

Edited by rjrjr

^^^All I know is it's a good SW comic....

I agree with you on that.

Dark Horse had a good run a few years ago with Star Wars: Republic and Star Wars: Empire. Then they followed those titles up with Star Wars: Legacy, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars: Rebellion, and Star Wars: Dark Times (still around.) When those titles stopped and they went to the mini-series format, I thought Star Wars comics were just going to drift into oblivion. With new movies announced and the new Star Wars titles from Dark Horse, I'm excited to be reading these comics again.

This new series is definitely a must read for me every month.

SW sales on 1 are roughly currently $14-29 with the high end being a BIN hit. Auctions go for around $14-19 for a 1. BIN hits increase the price while the auctions lower it some. Your right it does ebb and flow. Slab sales are rising while Hastings and the Game stop are falling. 2 weeks back SW 1 was down at $10 sales for auctions for awhile. Some got good buys.

Personally if I were to find a Game stop now in good grade to slab I would be buying now. SW collectors are nuts and when the new movies come out you should see a nice uptick again especially for this series.

Its the best SW series I have read for awhile probably because of the characters in the series. I apologize for the attitude earlier.

SW sales on 1 are roughly currently $14-29 with the high end being a BIN hit. Auctions go for around $14-19 for a 1. BIN hits increase the price while the auctions lower it some. Your right it does ebb and flow. Slab sales are rising while Hastings and the Game stop are falling. 2 weeks back SW 1 was down at $10 sales for auctions for awhile. Some got good buys.

Personally if I were to find a Game stop now in good grade to slab I would be buying now. SW collectors are nuts and when the new movies come out you should see a nice uptick again especially for this series.

Its the best SW series I have read for awhile probably because of the characters in the series. I apologize for the attitude earlier.

Consider this,

By the time the new movies roll out, SW comics will be published by Marvel again.

The comic book world is very what have you done for me lately.

I can see all the Dark Horse material falling out of vogue with collectors.

Besides a short term flip, at this time I wouldn't buy any cover for investment.

The rock solid play right now seems to me to be Marvel Star wars #1-107 plus annuals.

VERY undervalued.

Just my humble opinion...