• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,842 posts in this topic

So which goon issues are hot? Just #1?

These are the ones I like:

Avatar Illustrated Summer Special ( Goon appearance predates Goon 1 )

Dreamwalker Carousel 1

Even the Dark Horse issue 1 sells for decent money.

Great, another variant to track down. So, that's 5 covers of #1 for the 1st print, plus the 2nd through 5th prints.

Just wanted to point that out for everyone who moaned about all of the Bedlam variants.

I don't think Bedlam's failings should have anything to do with this book though.

I guess that depends on what people think Bedlam's failings where. If it is generally agreed that too many variants killed the book.... any books with too many variants can be linked to Bedlam as a historical " remember when..." tale.

It's why we study history after all. Just saying...

It's a great story though. Don't tell me they cancelled the title???

Great, another variant to track down. So, that's 5 covers of #1 for the 1st print, plus the 2nd through 5th prints.

Just wanted to point that out for everyone who moaned about all of the Bedlam variants.

I don't think Bedlam's failings should have anything to do with this book though.

I guess that depends on what people think Bedlam's failings where. If it is generally agreed that too many variants killed the book.... any books with too many variants can be linked to Bedlam as a historical " remember when..." tale.

It's why we study history after all. Just saying...

Are you talking about too many variants killing a books value or readership???

If it's the former, then I can see that, but if the later, then I don't see how that would affect it.

Speaking of too many variants, man, I can't believe how many variants Marvel is putting out now per #1. I love GOOD/COOL/INNOVATIVE/THEME/HOMAGE/ETC variants, but man, just the inundation of them is ridiculous. I'll walk into three different stores, and be shocked to see like 4 DIFFERENT variants, for the same title, at each store.

I actually picked up some cools ones today. APPARENTLY, Avengers #24 (Pretty arbatrary issue, "#1" aside,????) has a whole bunch of really good homage covers that weren't on my radar in the least. ....and checking at ComicCollectorLive shows that their are......TWENTY different covers. At least the majority are good variants, but cmon Marvel.

And since when has a "Deadpool" variant become a standard type of variant, especially to comics that he has NO ties to??? I mean, I'll get some of the neater or funnier ones, but like----WHY doe these even exist???

Edited by Dukes40

Bedlam #1 regular cover was selling for double and sometimes triple cover before the delays.

Saying variants killed it is ignorant.

it was a confusing story and the delays lost readership. When I got issue #4 I didn't know what was going on anymore so there was no reason to read past the third page.

plus the number #1 variants, up until about two or three months ago, were fetching some decent dough.

How about The Goon #1 @ $154 & 30 watchers. It's one of the most active, most expensive and most watched modern age comics on eBay and yet I rarely see anyone discussing it on these forums. hm

I've always wondered that too. Looks like it goes for a lot because of scarcity and that it's supposedly good, but ya, you never hear about the actual story much.

Is this because

a) Since it's so rare, not many people have actually read it?

or

b) It's not that great?

It's great. Very few sucky comics have won this many Eisners:

2004 Eisner Award Winner (tie) - Best Single Issue/Single Story

2005 Eisner Award Winner - Best Continuing Series

2005 Eisner Award Winner - Best Humor Publication

2008 Eisner Award Winner - Best Writer/Artist—Humor

2008 Eisner Award Winner - Best Painter or Multimedia Artist (interior art)

The actual content of the book is rarely discussed because...how often is content discussed, in general, for any series? This board is dominated by speculation talk. (shrug)

I never said the variants killed Bedlam, we're more than aware it's Spencer's delays and the differences he had with Rossmo (looks like Riley was right). Was just pointing out the hypocrisy of some who complained about "all the variants" for #1, yet don't seem to have a problem with multiple variants for Sex Criminals.

I love Sex Criminals and actually prefer the variant / 2nd print covers

How about The Goon #1 @ $154 & 30 watchers. It's one of the most active, most expensive and most watched modern age comics on eBay and yet I rarely see anyone discussing it on these forums. hm

I've always wondered that too. Looks like it goes for a lot because of scarcity and that it's supposedly good, but ya, you never hear about the actual story much.

Is this because

or

b) It's not that great?

The actual content of the book is rarely discussed because...how often is content discussed, in general, for any series? This board is dominated by speculation talk. (shrug)

I forgot to add that while the comic itself is rare, the story has been reprinted in trades. So it's not especially difficult to be able to read it. And the series gets better as Powell finds his voice. Do yourself a favor and pick up some TPBs...it's an exceptional modern work.

Bedlam #1 regular cover was selling for double and sometimes triple cover before the delays.

Saying variants killed it is ignorant.

it was a confusing story and the delays lost readership. When I got issue #4 I didn't know what was going on anymore so there was no reason to read past the third page.

plus the number #1 variants, up until about two or three months ago, were fetching some decent dough.

I agree that not reading a comic regularly can make the story confusing....but....there are like 50 different ways you can remedy that situation.

Easiest is to just read the synopsis on Wikipedia, or skim a review of the previous comics.

Second easiests is just skim the other issues you've read.

Third is to actually read the comics again.

No reason to read the rest of the comic???

I mean, cmon.

I never said the variants killed Bedlam, we're more than aware it's Spencer's delays and the differences he had with Rossmo (looks like Riley was right). Was just pointing out the hypocrisy of some who complained about "all the variants" for #1, yet don't seem to have a problem with multiple variants for Sex Criminals.

Name Names. :sumo:lol

I know it wasn't me! because three weeks before Bedlam came out ...

I remember driving to Detroit just to buy bedlam variants.

That book was amazing. I'd still be reading it if I could remember what was going on.

You drove WHERE?!?!?!?!

I drove to Detrorit Fan Fare and made Bank on 50 of those variants!

just remember boys and girls, If Rob Liefeld is crying at a desk about how sales have dropped on all of his books to under 300,000 - the speculative variant boom is over!

That book was amazing. I'd still be reading it if I could remember what was going on.

You drove WHERE?!?!?!?!

just remember boys and girls, If Rob Liefeld is crying at a desk about how sales have dropped on all of his books to under 300,000 - the speculative variant boom is over!

No one should ever go to Detroit. :eek:

Is this because

or

b) It's not that great?

I forgot to add that while the comic itself is rare, the story has been reprinted in trades. So it's not especially difficult to be able to read it. And the series gets better as Powell finds his voice. Do yourself a favor and pick up some TPBs...it's an exceptional modern work.

Read 1st trade & a few stand alone stories. Great art & solid story, but not in my wheelhouse. I've recommended it to others, tho. IIRC, a few issues are free on Comixology

You drove WHERE?!?!?!?!

No one should ever go to Detroit. :eek:

There are some women there that are worth it.

(thumbs u

-slym