• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The official progress on my GL 1 restoration by Kenny thread

249 posts in this topic

These two photos are ridiculous. There is no reason that book should have been restorable to that level of beauty. This might be the most impressive restoration job I've ever seen. (worship)

Do you have a finished scan of the assembled book? :wishluck: What was the interior like?

After CT and spine folded.

8a66afac.jpg

Photo taken in about as harsh a light possible of the spine after CT, and cover folded

42df70e8.jpg

Tough crowd.

Let's try smaller in progress pics.

0081090c.jpg

70566db8.jpg

22d52bba.jpg

Blown.

Away.

It's been said by many others, but I have to add my $0.02. The photos here are just stunning beyond belief!

Now that I've seen what you can do, it got me wondering... Given that you can turn the most nightmarish old pieces of salad into breathtaking GA books... Could you please build me an Action #1? From what I've seen, you could just build it for me from scratch. Sure, it'd get a PLOD. But I'd take a PLOD app. 9.4 Action 1 any day..

Do you have a finished scan of the assembled book? :wishluck: What was the interior like?

Kenny,

Why did the owner not want the lower left cover color touched to fill in the missing piece? Not cost effective to recreate the art?

Matt and I restored this book together last year. The photos I posted were where the cover was when he had to leave. That's all I have.

The large, detailed missing area was dealt with on his end with a color copy overlay which was blended in with CT.

The interior was taped up and semi brittle, with most of the damage being to the entire spine which had to be repaired. And shows that a book pegged as semi brittle is not a death knell.

e54563eb.jpg

8df7ef22.jpg

ae013a67.jpg

ad8abdfb.jpg

d5d51d9e.jpg

bc286e0a.jpg

Kenny, I am in awe of the techniques and artistry you bring to these books. The quality of your work is far beyond what any collectors have dreamed possible. Leaf casting has made professional restoration work from even 5 years ago seem positively amateurish.

A teensy bit more work needs to be completed by Matt, but I decided to keep the book a while before sending it back to him. He brought it up to WW Philly and once I got my hands on it, I couldn't let it go. It feels bouncy and new :)

What apparent grade would you give the cover, Bill? I know the interior will keep the overall grade down somewhat, but that cover looks near-minty fresh!

What apparent grade would you give the cover, Bill? I know the interior will keep the overall grade down somewhat, but that cover looks near-minty fresh!

It's a terrific looking book and I'm sure it feels spectacular in hand (the work is awesome) but I don't think it would grade that high.

Looks to be in the 6.0 range as there is still a lot of broken paper fibre from looking at the picture.

Good work, Kenny!

It's a terrific looking book and I'm sure it feels spectacular in hand (the work is awesome) but I don't think it would grade that high.

Looks to be in the 6.0 range as there is still a lot of broken paper fibre from looking at the picture.

Good work, Kenny!

5.5 - 6.0 would be just about right I think

I am looking on my 12" laptop screen and it looks almost perfect to me. doh! Remind me never to buy comics on this thing!

Good work, Kenny!

I am looking on my 12" laptop screen and it looks almost perfect to me. doh! Remind me never to buy comics on this thing!

Good work, Kenny!

I'm only using a 15" laptop screen, gramps.

:baiting: