• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The official progress on my GL 1 restoration by Kenny thread

249 posts in this topic

Thanks, and you're welcome of course.

I had a client contact me and say it was ok to post these.

Some minor esoteric book you may have heard of.

868fbbca.jpg

And the interior, which went from Brittle, to darn supple.

Every wrap was washed, and fully leaf casted.

0e51f431.jpg

Now show the rest of that re-donkulous book. :cloud9:

Although, here is another recent Action 1 interior that I can share w/semi brittle edges.(missing the outer wrap obviously)

Might be boring for most to look at, but there is something about taking an interior like this and returning it to a state that allows one to not only handle it, but read the darn thing without fear of losing pieces.

63f39543.jpg

39789a8d.jpg

016620de.jpg

5094e006.jpg

82f5937d.jpg

And yeah, I know. The casted material is not the same shade as the tanned/brittle edges. Since using vintage newsprint gives the hand feel and texture we are looking for, sometimes it limits you as to what shade you can safely cast with. In other words, one cannot use 70 year old tanned, brittle newsprint and expect it to bond and behave like vintage material that is not completely shot.

The casted material might match quite well with the middle of the interior, but next to the tanned edges it stands out. Problematic, but not impossible to overcome.

Some Conservation facilities actually dye their donor papers, but I have read about, and even seen where this can actually leach into the original material. :eek: This is obviously not desired.

What is desired though, is the flexibility and feel of a casted interior afterwards. :)

Although, here is another recent Action 1 interior that I can share w/semi brittle edges.(missing the outer wrap obviously)

Might be boring for most to look at, but there is something about taking an interior like this and returning it to a state that allows one to not only handle it, but read the darn thing without fear of losing pieces.

63f39543.jpg

39789a8d.jpg

016620de.jpg

5094e006.jpg

82f5937d.jpg

And yeah, I know. The casted material is not the same shade as the tanned/brittle edges. Since using vintage newsprint gives the hand feel and texture we are looking for, sometimes it limits you as to what shade you can safely cast with. In other words, one cannot use 70 year old tanned, brittle newsprint and expect it to bond and behave like vintage material that is not completely shot.

The casted material might match quite well with the middle of the interior, but next to the tanned edges it stands out. Problematic, but not impossible to overcome.

Some Conservation facilities actually dye their donor papers, but I have read about, and even seen where this can actually leach into the original material. :eek: This is obviously not desired.

What is desired though, is the flexibility and feel of a casted interior afterwards. :)

Well done Grasshopper!!!

I honestly think that even Brad is proud of your work... :sumo:

Here it is after my work was done, Matt still needed to CT a few things on the FC though.

See!

b21a723a.jpg

:D

Jerk. :P

What, you said show the rest of the book. I showed the rest of the book.

:P

Here it is after my work was done, Matt still needed to CT a few things on the FC though.

See!

b21a723a.jpg

Jerk. :P

What, you said show the rest of the book. I showed the rest of the book.

:P

It looks like some scans I've seen on other resto websites in the past. :baiting:

This thread needs an update in the worst way. Kenny, what have you been up to?

Working on funny books, and raising kids. I seem to do more of both when I don't log on as much.

A few really big books I worked on recently are in private collections, so I can't post anything about them. :( (see if you can see which one was added to the census recently.)

Although Andy's Fantastic 3, and Ankurs Tec 35 are pretty much done. So they might get posted at some point. (shrug)

The book is in Matt's hands for final touches. I will have it back in hand the weekend of WW Philly :whee:

He meant WW Philly 2013.

:ohnoez: