• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The official progress on my GL 1 restoration by Kenny thread

249 posts in this topic

Just out of curiosity... with "acrylic" color touch - is it possible to remove it from a front cover other than scraping it off and potentially damaging the cover - or is this the typical method? Thanks.

Fantastic job Kenny is doing, no pun intended. Basically my only shot at having a decent looking copy of this classic....though from his shots Kenny is going to sail right past "decent looking"!

Just out of curiosity... with "acrylic" color touch - is it possible to remove it from a front cover other than scraping it off and potentially damaging the cover - or is this the typical method? Thanks.

Good question.

I think it depends on how it was applied, and if the cover has already been cleaned(washed)

If acrylic CT was applied to a few spots on the spine of an otherwise unrestored book. Then about the only option is to try and scrape it off, because if you try and topically remove it with water or solvents you will create tidelines, or bleeding into surrounding areas.

If the cover has already been extensively restored, then it is more a matter of soaking the cover in water or solvents, and removing the CT through blotting and wiping it off. (All depends of how thick the CT was applied) With GA covers withstanding this much more then SA covers.

In the end, the type of minor "Professional" CT that people want removed (to try and get a blue label) could potentially be harmful to the book. With many old "Professionally" restored comics making great "new" restoration candidates because they have already heavily restored. So you can soak them, and get back to original comic.

The rational behind the whole "Professional" moniker because of the materials used has always bugged me. While acrylics may not bleed through the paper like Amateur black marker. If a blind monkey applied acrylic CT with an old broom. It would be considered "professional" by CGC.

This never made sense to me, and can see why CGC tried to make some sort of change to the PLOD to better reflect the quality of work done, aside from the apparent grade possibly taking a hit for poor workmanship.

Here are a few photos of recent books that had massive old CT removed for the sake or redoing the work. Which seems to make up about 75% of the books submitted for resto, at least this past year anyways.

1123-1.jpg

1124.jpg

c6c4cbc6.jpg

5a777da2.jpg

75ebb691.jpg

893970e9.jpg

50120cbe.jpg

Wet with solvents, you can see how the CT stands out. Only a matter of wiping it all off at this point.

5a6fe52d.jpg

30e701fa.jpg

Kenny,

You are an artist and a scholar, sir. :applause:

And those are not two words I use lightly.

I fall into that weird category of having to decide if I want to get you to restore a book that is not worth it. I have a Marvel SA key that looks as bad as one of these GA beauties, but my love of this books is strong.

Wet with solvents, you can see how the CT stands out. Only a matter of wiping it all off at this point.

5a6fe52d.jpg

Could solvents be the new black light? hm

^^

Already working on it.

I am devising a spray you can use to detect CT on Raw books at conventions.

You just ask a dealer to take a raw book out of the mylar, then spray it with my travel sized solvent dispenser (Patent Pending) Resto Detect-o Spray tm

Any CT will show up.

You then tell the dealer "No Thanks"

Should dry completely in a few hours.

Dealers should not mind, too much.

Sometimes , less is more.

Ankur gave us a previously restored Tec 35.

3 shots tell the story.

Comic was taped up, several times. With massive CT under the tape and pieces glued to the FC.

b97ac115.jpg

All broken down

eee2a989.jpg

After fixing.

178beb0d.jpg

Not to be picky, but the green is originally out of registration and I would guess that the original top header that you traped so perfectly on the left edge would have had the green slightly outside the black line such as all the other letters in Detective Comics.

Not to be picky, but the green is originally out of registration and I would guess that the original top header that you traped so perfectly on the left edge would have had the green slightly outside the black line such as all the other letters in Detective Comics.

:gossip: I believe it's not the green that's offset, it's the black.

The black lines on the entire cover are offset if you look at it.

You can see it in the Blues in Batman head/glove/arm, the hypo needle, the red in the mad scientists face, the orange and white in the chemical tanks,etc..

But, I can easily paint in a green stripe on the spine if Ankur wants one!

There is no "green" plate in four color printing. The black is what is out of registration.

Looks great Kenny!

I bought this book back in 2002. What's funny is that the resto will cost more than what I paid for the book!

Yeah, but now it's going to look like a VF/NM instead of a POS. :baiting:

:kidaround:

Looks great Kenny!

I bought this book back in 2002. What's funny is that the resto will cost more than what I paid for the book!

Yeah, but now it's going to look like a VF/NM instead of a POS. :baiting:

:kidaround:

I can live with that :)

There is no "green" plate in four color printing. The black is what is out of registration.

Actually the cyan is out of register. You can see the cyan shifting in other areas as well. It is why there is green on top of the yellow. The out of register cyan is hitting the yellow and making green where it shouldn't be. If the cyan were pulled up and to the right it would snug up nicely.