• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The official progress on my GL 1 restoration by Kenny thread

249 posts in this topic

Not to be picky, but the green is originally out of registration and I would guess that the original top header that you traped so perfectly on the left edge would have had the green slightly outside the black line such as all the other letters in Detective Comics.

There is no "green" plate in four color printing. The black is what is out of registration.

Actually the cyan is out of register. You can see the cyan shifting in other areas as well. It is why there is green on top of the yellow. The out of register cyan is hitting the yellow and making green where it shouldn't be. If the cyan were pulled up and to the right it would snug up nicely.

The cyan over yellow(green) you speak of was supposed to be covered up by black. When you compare this book to other copies, the big letters in the main banner would not look right if you shifted the cyan(green color) over to the right. The Yellow area of the letters would be too fat, or the curve of the s's, c's and e's would be too long.

I looked, trust me.

That and other areas(magenta) of the cover clearly show an offset black line.

8f021b5e.jpg

Or how the chair blacks are offset over magenta and, yellow. With his black hair and shirt (over solid yellow) not being offset because there was no solid secondary color to line up with.

faf167e8.jpg

I found a 3k x 4k scan of the cover and you're right. I noticed the tank in the lower right but put that off to just shoddy stripping. In the big scan that was properly registered the black is indeed aligned to the edge. (thumbs u

wtf is this leaf casting I'm looking at?

Short answer?

Take a beat up comic cover.

Wash it.

Fill your leaf casting table (a big sink thingy with a vacuum) with distilled water.

Blend up assorted archival papers to match the missing areas of said beat up comic.

Place comic underwater in casting table.

Pour in blended pulp.

Draw out the water with suction.

Take out beat up comic that now has pulp where all the missing areas were.

Blot dry.

Poof.

You have 1 Leaf Casted, complete, supple comic cover.

Simple, eh?

Well, I might have left out a step or two. But that's basically the jist of it. :D

Kenny :foryou:

You need to ask Matt for a raise (thumbs u

Kenny :foryou:

You need to ask Matt for a raise (thumbs u

I suspect Matt is pretty good to Kenny on the rates charged already or Kenny wouldn't be working for him.

Don't be haters. I think Kenny deserves a big raise. :baiting:

Thanks, and I agree.

As it stands now Matt gives me 1/2 off Pizza Hut Coupons for every book I work on.

I should also get bread sticks, and a 2 liter too.

I have kids dammit.

:sumo:

That All-American #16 is unbelievable. If you're able to post the "after" shots, you should.

You mean this? I posted this awhile ago, somewhere.

After old tape/resto removal

98e02ebf.jpg

After leaf casting cover together.

99b7b0be.jpg

After CT and spine folded.

8a66afac.jpg

===============================================================

Before

3421b67b.jpg

Cover wet with solvent, showing where they CT'ed over the cello tape.

4c6d2bbc.jpg

Photo taken in about as harsh a light possible of the spine after CT, and cover folded

42df70e8.jpg

How old is Ellen now Kenny ?? Seems like we've watched her born and

grow up, on the web repectfully.... :foryou:

She is 8 (and a half)..as she likes to say.

Time flies, eh?