• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The official progress on my GL 1 restoration by Kenny thread

249 posts in this topic

I hadn't planned on doing a write up on this book. But for those that like to see progression shots, here is Andy's FC 3.

The hardest part about working on this book was the chippy/brittle nature of the cover. Hence why so many pieces were missing, and or taped back on. But after I beat it up, it decided to play nice and get supple again.

That, and the large amounts missing, detailed artwork which will be dealt with through overlays onto the casted material.

Obviously not done yet, but pretty far along the road to completion to see where it's going.

Cover Before any work

e7f8738e.jpg

After massive tape removal and cleaning

0253026f.jpg

After Full Immersion Leaf Casting

09e73d1c.jpg

After CT(partial) and Folded.

d9d71574.jpg

BC Before

000fd891.jpg

After Wash/Leafcasting

daa8c1ab.jpg

After CT (partial)

0cdf92d0.jpg

Cover shots of the folded cover.

2aa39d57.jpg

596a8491.jpg

Damn, you're good! :o:o The spine is incredible, and your ability to match colors is unparalleled. World class work, Kenny. What a gem. (worship)

Well heck, I was just shooting for decent! :blush:

I added some descriptions, and a few leaf casting photos because several people asked me offline wtf it was they were looking at exactly.

hm

wtf is this leaf casting I'm looking at?

Short answer?

Take a beat up comic cover.

Wash it.

Fill your leaf casting table (a big sink thingy with a vacuum) with distilled water.

Blend up assorted archival papers to match the missing areas of said beat up comic.

Place comic underwater in casting table.

Pour in blended pulp.

Draw out the water with suction.

Take out beat up comic that now has pulp where all the missing areas were.

Blot dry.

Poof.

You have 1 Leaf Casted, complete, supple comic cover.

Simple, eh?

Well, I might have left out a step or two. But that's basically the jist of it. :D

Amazing work Kenny. Could you give us an approximate price for this type of work? I can't imagine it is cheap as it must require a ton of work.

On extensive "full monty" jobs like this? It typically runs from 1-3K,with most falling in the $1,500- $2,000 range. It all depends on the book. How much old resto/tape there is to remove,interior page condition, and how much CT is necessary. Which is pretty much the going rate for extensive work, but leaf casting allows us to take books that otherwise would not be good resto candidates, and turn them into keepers.

Most of the big, key books we get in to restore can bear the brunt of the cost because the app. grade is raised high enough to offset cost of the work. That does not mean a good many lesser value books cannot benefit from being washed and casted, but most everyone in our hobby prefers "pretty" over conserved.

Which unfortunately costs much more.

1-3K??? That's not what you charged for the Action #1, is it??? :ohnoez:

Amazing work Kenny. Could you give us an approximate price for this type of work? I can't imagine it is cheap as it must require a ton of work.

On extensive "full monty" jobs like this? It typically runs from 1-3K,with most falling in the $1,500- $2,000 range. It all depends on the book. How much old resto/tape there is to remove,interior page condition, and how much CT is necessary. Which is pretty much the going rate for extensive work, but leaf casting allows us to take books that otherwise would not be good resto candidates, and turn them into keepers.

Most of the big, key books we get in to restore can bear the brunt of the cost because the app. grade is raised high enough to offset cost of the work. That does not mean a good many lesser value books cannot benefit from being washed and casted, but most everyone in our hobby prefers "pretty" over conserved.

Which unfortunately costs much more.

Andy's Fantastic needs a nice shot of Sharpie up and down the spine to finish it off!

Want me to draw a on the cover too? Oh wait, that's what Dice likes.

Never mind. :blush:

Andy's Fantastic needs a nice shot of Sharpie up and down the spine to finish it off!

I've never drawn one of those on a comic...in a long time. :sumo:

I've never drawn one of those on a comic...in a long time. :sumo:

Define long please.