• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WARNING: Tec 34 on eBay is a cracked RESTORED, being sold as Unrestored!

109 posts in this topic

There is a Tec 34 on eBay being sold as unrestored:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOW-DETECTIVE-COMICS-34-VERY-Early-Batman-Awesome-story-1939-/180747694114?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2a1566f022

But its really restored, and has been cracked outta the slab after the seller won it here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320768682887?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Now even if he removed the glue (which he did not as he notes the glue in the fine print as being there) the STAPLES are Still REPLACED, and therefore it is a GLOD at best, or possibly and most probably still RESTORED.

Just a warning to boardies, this blatant junk makes me sick.

can you contact ebay or the seller

The seller, if memory serves, has done shady things in the past - so I'm not sure if it would help. And we know he is aware of what he's doing.

So I have not contacted him, but maybe should.

And it may be a gray area thing for eBay.

I basically wrote that not disclosing the book restored is unethical. Staples being replaced (without mention) is resto. Here is what he wrote lol

Hi,

I addressed every issue in the "About condition" section clearly and completely.

Far more comprehensively than CGC did. I also took many pictures so the buyers

can see each page of the Batman story, centerfold, inside front and back covers, etc.

Here is what I wrote... "Hi,

If you read the description I cover ever detail of the books description.

Scroll down and you will see it:

"A nice, looking lower grade book. Perfectly centered. Deep colors. 100% complete, no cut-outs. It was at one time lightly glued into a bound volume and stitched. It was removed and so there is very minor trace glue residue at the spine. Minor tape below spine and below front cover as clearly shown. Minor tape on a few pages as clearly seen in the pictures. "

Take care,

mark

I replied about him beating around the bush and he is basically a crook. lol

Tee Hee i wonder why?

Here are his 2 responses to me. Basically i said how he left out info and its even being talked about on the CGC forum (i mentioned its very informative to keep up on books being sold) and this is what he wrote

1stI re-read your letter and thought about it. I realize you do not know me or the book.There is no intent to scam at all. Not in the least. It is a much nicer book than the CGC label had indicated and so I removed it. Carefully examined it and then listed all the defects beforeputting it up on ebay. CGC cannot do that on a small label. So they give books a color code.Purple means some form of restoration but it cannot differentiate between glue applied in a bindery process and glue applied to sealed splits. Both will receive the purple label, which is not a fair assessment of the actual condition... But I understand the dilemma.I took the risk to buy this and to crack it out. To examine it and to then risk putting it up at $1 with no reserve. It is easy to attack and assume hidden agenda but the reality is thatI accurately described the book. IF the spine was reinforced, rebuilt. Color touched. Repaired, etc. IF the holes were filled, anchored, etc. Then I would most definitely agree that it was restored. But the truth is that it is not. It was just removed from a bound volume that was not trimmed which is very rare to find.Sorry to go on with this but your letter assumed I was scamming people, and that is a terrible thingto say. The sad state of the Boards is beyond repair at this point. It has become a gossip column thatnever ends, with people destroying reputations at a whim based on personal opinion. Slander is rampant and I see no indication it will ever change.I will add a statement to the book, that it was CGC graded with a purple label. Even though I disagree that it was restored. Anyway, I wish our meeting could have been on a better note.All my best either way,Mark

Then

,Hi,I agree that the top staple is replaced but not the bottom.And just so you will feel more at ease (I do listen to you), I already removed the listingand noted the replaced staple, as well as that it was cracked out of a purple label holder.I also removed "not restored" (even though I believe it is not restored) from the 2nd line in the listing and inserted "purple crack out". I also clearly stated in the condition sectionthat it was removed from a CGC purple label holder.I am NOT hiding anything at all. And if I did it really was not meant to in any way.I have bought over 500,000 low grade books in the past 35 years. Many had staples replaced, tape,pieces added, etc. All total I have purchased more than 4 million books over the years.So somehow we are on different roads of thought.But just to be 100% sure, I re-listed the book covering all that you mentioned.Take caremark

i have tried to offert what he paid for ( 585 $ ) and the ebay offert is automaticaly reclined.

Why would he sell it for what he paid that doesn't make any sense as there is no profit in it. I would agree that the book presents better then the 1.8 grade but they killed it for all the little holes.

If the staples were pulled out I assume it would get a green label..

James G

i have tried to offert what he paid for ( 585 $ ) and the ebay offert is automaticaly reclined.

Why would he sell it for what he paid that doesn't make any sense as there is no profit in it. I would agree that the book presents better then the 1.8 grade but they killed it for all the little holes.

If the staples were pulled out I assume it would get a green label..

James G

No reason to yank the staples if you're looking for a green label. Replaced staples falls under the qualified designation. The only thing that could prevent a blue label is if there's still glue on the spine.

Looks like Mark ended the listing.

Let me get this straight... this is a book that has been STITCHED. There are two-dozen little holes all up and down the spine. These are CLEARLY EVIDENT in the scans. Moreover-- the seller mentions the trace amounts of glue which one wouldn't see in the scans. And all anyone on these boards cares about is that the seller didn't mention a replaced staple? Seriously? And for that we get multiple posts calling the seller a scammer?

It's STITCHED! It's GLUED! It's clearly a nice-looking but nevertheless low-grade copy just like the seller claims. Oops-- forgotten to mention a replaced staple.

WHO THE *SPOON!* CARES?!!!

yeesh.

Let me get this straight... this is a book that has been STITCHED. There are two-dozen little holes all up and down the spine. These are CLEARLY EVIDENT in the scans. Moreover-- the seller mentions the trace amounts of glue which one wouldn't see in the scans. And all anyone on these boards cares about is that the seller didn't mention a replaced staple? Seriously? And for that we get multiple posts calling the seller a scammer?

It's STITCHED! It's GLUED! It's clearly a nice-looking but nevertheless low-grade copy just like the seller claims. Oops-- forgotten to mention a replaced staple.

yeesh.

the point most are making is that he didn't "forget" to mention the replaced staple, he intentionally avoided listing it, to further the appeal of the book...

and, from what I understand, this seller might have a history of this type of "lack of" disclosure in the past, which is why some boardies have raised a red flag...

if it was just an "honest" mistake, as you seem to believe, then I agree with you, not worth the posts

yeesh.

the point most are making is that he didn't "forget" to mention the replaced staple, he intentionally avoided listing it, to further the appeal of the book...

and, from what I understand, this seller might have a history of this type of "lack of" disclosure in the past, which is why some boardies have raised a red flag...

if it was just an "honest" mistake, as you seem to believe, then I agree with you, not worth the posts

If there is a history, that's a different issue... but even so this is a lousy example to add to "the list". Further, I can't see how not mentioning the staple (intentionally or otherwise) would "further the appeal" of a book in this condition, other than to a handful of ultra-obsessive folks on these boards.

If you're the kind of buyer that doesn't mind low-grade copies in your collection, and you don't have a problem with saddle-stitching, glue and tape... do you really believe that a replaced staple is going to be a deal-breaker? Or that it's going to affect the value of this book by a single penny? If it was an 8.0 I might understand the complaint. But a 1.5?

If you wonder why I get worked up over this, it's because this is a perfect example of just how wrong a direction these Boards are going. You guys do a great service by exposng the robojos out there, and right now there's a very useful thread going on about convention thieves. But you don't differentiate. You go on tirades about trivial like this, or about the use of the term "bindery-like" or about what the meaning of "verified" is. You trash good dealers, mediocre dealers, and outright criminals with equal aplomb, thereby diminishing the impact you have when pointing out the real "bad guys" out there.

It's as if professional grading works fine in cards and coins and stamps, etc. But the comic community just doesn't have the mental stability to deal with pro grading. Concepts like "restoration" and "qualified" and "purple labels" have been taken all out of proportion and driven the comics community stark raving mad. We have people paying 10x the $$$ for an arbitrary grading of say a 9.6 vs. a 9.4, and on the other hand ranting feverishly about disclosure of the state of the staples on an already otherwise-trashed copy of a book!

It's complete and utter madness, and I'm watching it all destroy the hobby at an unprededented rate. It's a very real shame and all so unnecessary.