• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your TOP 5 selling regrets!

192 posts in this topic

Cheetah what's your main focus these days, GA stuff?

Just GA stuff. I sold my whole Avengers run to the same buyer and my X-men are going to auction in the next ComicConnect auction. ASM will be in January's CLink auction.

Wow! :o

Though a certain Board Member did predict this. :baiting:

Just GA stuff. I sold my whole Avengers run to the same buyer and my X-men are going to auction in the next ComicConnect auction. ASM will be in January's CLink auction.

You were dead on. It was yours and Mr. Bedrock's collections that had the biggest influence in my tastes evolving.

The time was right in letting them go, though, since my passion for the titles had faded a bit.

TOS0190-1.jpg

Someone's passions were just slightly deeper than mine on this one :cry:

I was bidding on that one right up near the end during the last ComicLink auction, but had to watch it pass me by. I've always regretted selling my 3.5 copy so many years ago. It was always my Dad's favorite, and the 9.0 is simply amazing!

Cant match the sheer quality of the books so far displayed in this thread - but great idea West!

Some of you will know that I have had an ongoing relationship with a community organisation in West Bengal and I wont go on about that here. But it was an incentive to sell most of my collection about 7 years ago,when the organisation was really struggling. At the time my collection was far more extensive than it is now, and for example boasted deep runs of Baker romance titles, all of which I sold to someone who does frequent the boards occasionally but is a private sort of a guy so I wont say who.

I also sold near complete runs of many atomic age horror titles, Superiors, Atlas, Ajax Farrell, Comic Media, Youthful/Trojan and so on. I particularly miss the Superiors because they are so bonkers!

But the ones I truly regret selling were what would be generically called GGA or "women in peril" covers. Sorry I no longer have scans owing to a computer disc failure, but the ones that come most to mind are Terrific Comics #5, Thrilling #38, Mystic Comics #2, CDNP #24, Fighting Yank #23, Sub-mariner Comics #13, Namora #1-3, Sun Girl #1-3, and so on.

I suppose the funds went to a good cause, though I regard myself as a pretty selfish sort of a guy and make no claims to sainthood - we all do our good deeds.

Main point is, I decided to seek out replacement copies for as many of these as I could find (at least the ones with great covers), in better shape where possible than the copies I had let go. Mr Bedrock and Cheetah helped me replace my Namora run for example. And I found a nice CDNP #24. But still searching for some of the scarcer icons, like Thrilling #38, Terrific #5, Mystic Comics #2, and Silver Streak #15!

One thing I am certain of is they will be a lot more expensive to replace than they were to sell!

What's the song? "Regrets, I've had a few..." maybe a little more than a few. These were sold in those pre-CGC days. Sad. Scans follow:

1) Red Raven 1 - Olshevsky copy - needed the money

2) Motion Picture Funnies Weekly 1 - THE coverless copy with publisher's cross-outs of the word "First", thereby renaming the company Funnies Inc.- it was brittle anyway lol needed the money

3) Marvel 1 - missing the back cover, had the front cover restored by the master, Bill Sarril - needed the money

4) Batman 1 - cat urine stain on front cover, but who cares, it's gone! - needed the money

5) Action 2 - unrestored, slightly water damaged - needed the money

6) USA 7 - bought this from Greg White back in 1990, lots of regret that I had to sell it - needed the money

RedRaven1Iusedtohave2-1.jpg

mpfwfrompeterfixed.jpg

MarvelMystery1aapeterjones.jpg

Batman1usedtohave.jpg

Action2usedtohave2-2.jpg

USA7Iusedtohave.jpg

You were dead on. It was yours and Mr. Bedrock's collections that had the biggest influence in my tastes evolving.

I would be okay if Scrooge was your role model. :foryou:

I would be okay if Scrooge was your role model. :foryou:

Gets my vote!

What's the song? "Regrets, I've had a few..." maybe a little more than a few. These were sold in those pre-CGC days. Sad. Scans follow:

1) Red Raven 1 - Olshevsky copy - needed the money

2) Motion Picture Funnies Weekly 1 - THE coverless copy with publisher's cross-outs of the word "First", thereby renaming the company Funnies Inc.- it was brittle anyway lol needed the money

3) Marvel 1 - missing the back cover, had the front cover restored by the master, Bill Sarril - needed the money

4) Batman 1 - cat urine stain on front cover, but who cares, it's gone! - needed the money

5) Action 2 - unrestored, slightly water damaged - needed the money

6) USA 7 - bought this from Greg White back in 1990, lots of regret that I had to sell it - needed the money

RedRaven1Iusedtohave2-1.jpg

mpfwfrompeterfixed.jpg

MarvelMystery1aapeterjones.jpg

Batman1usedtohave.jpg

Action2usedtohave2-2.jpg

USA7Iusedtohave.jpg

Wow those are some books. The Red Raven is ultra cool.

I don't really regret selling any books, as I've always used the money to buy more for the collection, but here are my top 5?

Action 28 in raw 9.0 before the advent of CGC

Detective 30 in 9.0 ®, even though I made money, I still liked the book a lot

AF 15 in CGC 1.8 as I don't have one right now

AF 15 in CGC 2.5 same story as above

Journey into mystery raw on the boards for $460 auction style before the movie :lol: 2.5-3.0 range.

but I"ve bought some nice GGA and SA TOS in the wake. :headbang:

117130.jpg.a3813310e6b474d26ecf9567f9364fd7.jpg

If anyone is looking for that particular Red Raven, it was later restored and sold. Here's how it looked after restoration:

RedRaven1Iusedtohave.jpg

Is it possible?

redraven1.jpg