• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your TOP 5 selling regrets!

192 posts in this topic

... and the Larson Mystery Men 10.

:whistle:

100_1119.jpg

I've been lusting after that cover since I first got my set of Gerbers.....such uninhibited coolness. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If anyone is looking for that particular Red Raven, it was later restored and sold. Here's how it looked after restoration:

RedRaven1Iusedtohave.jpg

Is it possible?

rdraven1.jpg

amazing... I think there is a good chance its the same book!

100_1119.jpg

I've been lusting after that cover since I first got my set of Gerbers.....such uninhibited coolness. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree...this is a beautiful cover....and a beautiful book as well... :cloud9:

Wow--it says something that the best comic in my collection is probably the worst one shown in Ciorac's group of photos.

I have the 5.0 copy of All-American # 19, and it's (by far) the most I've spent on a book.

I would be okay if Scrooge was your role model. :foryou:

C'mon. Be a player, you can afford some competition ... though beating out / up-bidding the Cheetah is expen$$ive.

Many of us have the bruises and empty wallets to prove this point

100_1119.jpg

This book looks like it has its original curved spine like it was fresh off the newsstand, I can hear it wobble right now. A rare and refreshing sight these days.

That's because Steve used the "glossinator" when he took the pics.... :cool:

All his raw books look this way. I need to get a "glossinator" for myself...maybe my books will look better..... lol

I had to spend some time with the favorite books I have left just so I didn't feel so bad posting my "lost books" here. Tough to think about the books that have passed through my hands, but I'm glad I got to enjoy them for the time I had them...

And although i regret not being to hang onto to many great books, I am glad many went to appreciative boardies ... MARVEL #9 (funded an engagement ring, which I think my wife enjoys more than I did the Marvel 9), DARING #6, CAP #3, FANTASTIC #7, etc.

In no particular order...

SCIENCE COMICS #3 (unfortunately to pay for a tax bill, but a good board member has it now)

SCI3cover.jpg

SCIENCE COMICS #4 (again, tax man, and again, same board member as #3 owns this one too)

SCIENCE4coverlo.jpg

RED RAVEN #1 (this one hurts... tax man again! But it went to a good collector friend)

redraven1.jpg

TARGET COMICS #2 (just a beauty copy, damn tax man again... but it went to a good home on the boards)

IMGP3254.jpg

and lastly, DETECTIVE COMICS #35 (I'm sure this would have graded out as a 4.0 universal, and although I didn't mind letting it go, trading it for TARGET #7 Larson, and some really tough AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES, I do miss what the financial potential of this book might have been)...

TEC35coverPOST-1.jpg

Well, that wasn't too painful, was it? :cry:

Those are beautiful books Ryan. I know and feel your pain, especially the Detective 35. I had the Larson Tec 35, a beauty 9.2 ® with only a cleaned cover and the most beautiful registration and centering of any copy out there. Had to sell it when I got divorced. But you know the great thing about all these "regrets"? At least we had them when we needed them. They are wonderful books and great memories. But sometimes life hits you with a curveball. And we, as comic collectors, are fortunate to have these great books to fall back on if we need a few bucks (or a lot of bucks) to help with whatever situation we are in. The bonus is there are always other books out there to chase and collect to help us create new memories. As much as I miss some of the books I've sold (Mark Zaid - I hope you are taking care of that 9.0 More Fun 65!), I love the books I have now even more. Regrets, maybe a little. But in the long run, not really.

I only have one regret - the original art to the second to last page of Swamp Thing 53, a full page splash of Batman by John Totleben with hidden notes by Alan Moore. Bought directly from Totleben in 1987, was sold on eBay in a moment of weakness in 2000 for $950. I regretted it almost instantly. Page has never surfaced again, would probably sell for $15K (at least) now, maybe much much more.

in a way i regret every book i have sold.

even if it was, as in almost all cases, to finance another book purchase.

if i have to pick 5, it would probably be the last 5 Action Comics #2's i owned...

in order from first:

action2-1.jpg

action2-2.jpg

action2-3.jpg

action2-4.jpg

action2-5.jpg

oh, and just incase you were wondering what my number 6 is, here: :insane:

action2-6.jpg

thank god i hung onto this beauty:

action2-7.jpg

:banana:

in a way i regret every book i have sold.

even if it was, as in almost all cases, to finance another book purchase.

if i have to pick 5, it would probably be the last 5 Action Comics #2's i owned...

in order from first:

action2-1.jpg

action2-2.jpg

action2-3.jpg

action2-4.jpg

action2-5.jpg

oh, and just incase you were wondering what my number 6 is, here: :insane:

action2-6.jpg

thank god i hung onto this beauty:

action2-7.jpg

:banana:

:o

Those are beautiful books Ryan. I know and feel your pain, especially the Detective 35. I had the Larson Tec 35, a beauty 9.2 ® with only a cleaned cover and the most beautiful registration and centering of any copy out there. Had to sell it when I got divorced. But you know the great thing about all these "regrets"? At least we had them when we needed them. They are wonderful books and great memories. But sometimes life hits you with a curveball. And we, as comic collectors, are fortunate to have these great books to fall back on if we need a few bucks (or a lot of bucks) to help with whatever situation we are in. The bonus is there are always other books out there to chase and collect to help us create new memories. As much as I miss some of the books I've sold (Mark Zaid - I hope you are taking care of that 9.0 More Fun 65!), I love the books I have now even more. Regrets, maybe a little. But in the long run, not really.

I never cease to be impressed by the lucidity of your thinking. I agree with every word!