• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adios amigos!

264 posts in this topic

I've lost count of the amount of times I've missed out on books for the same reason you did, or got my fingers burnt. Missing out on books is something you get over very quickly as there's always another featured auction to drain your bank account around the corner.

But as for getting your fingers burnt, if you can't tolerate the masochism and mood swings that come with the territory, it's definitely wise to move on. Not worth the agony...

I wish someone would tell me how to quit you... :frustrated:

You should've thought of that before the wedding vows.

Vows schmows...

:whatev:

I've lost count of the amount of times I've missed out on books for the same reason you did, or got my fingers burnt. Missing out on books is something you get over very quickly as there's always another featured auction to drain your bank account around the corner.

But as for getting your fingers burnt, if you can't tolerate the masochism and mood swings that come with the territory, it's definitely wise to move on. Not worth the agony...

I wish someone would tell me how to quit you... :frustrated:

You should've thought of that before the wedding vows.

Vows schmows...

:whatev:

Those auction houses can get pretty expensive when you don't know when to stop,kind of like a compulsive gambler in Vegas.You just have to set limits,if that is what your Clink fiasco is. (shrug)
I was shocked at some of the final prices in the Comiclink auction. I didn't lose any sleep, not winning any books. Although, I have a lot of patience waiting for the right book at the right price.

Maybe a change of collecting goals or something could revive it for you. I stopped buying modern books because of Marvel but I changed up my collecting goals to go after some copper age comics. Also got into scratch building and collecting up my favourite joes just to take a break from comics.

Well, this it. My very own FDQ exit.

Last night's Comiclink fiasco was bad enough but a few minutes ago i received some CRUSHING news from Joey on a resub. Like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, i tried to play the resub game on a book everyone and their mother thought would upgrade but instead somehow dropped. Thats what i get for trying to beat the system i guess.

Back in 2000, i got burned on a deal and left the hobby for like 10 years. I just couldnt stand to look a comic and not want to puke. It took a LONG time but passed and i came back with a vengeance last year. This time, it's even more bitterly disappointing! I dont know if it will be weeks, months, years or forever but this is the end of collecting for me for at least a while. I havent decided if i'm going to sell off my entire collection or just stash it away again for years not looking at it. I'll let the dust settle a little before deciding (shrug)

Oh well, thats the way the cookie crumbles. I'm a big boy and will survive with or without comics. I dont know if i'll still post or not. For the time being, probably not. I'm sure a LOT of you will be REAL upset with that lol

Before i go though, i do want to say a few things. As some of you know, i definitely get emotional over the books i love so much. As a result, i say some stupid things and people off that dont deserve it. To ALL of those people, i apologize. In the heat of the moment i say things that would be MUCH better left unsaid and for that i'm sorry. To the LONG list of people that fall under that category, my heartfelt apologies! What can i say other than i'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person a lot of the time!

Lastly, i do want to thank all the people on here that have helped me the last year or so. I'm sure i'm forgetting LOTS of people but guys like cheetah, fingh, rube, Jive, sassemble and a bunch of others have helped me out MUCH more than i deserved. Wether it was just talking comics in pm or advice on purchases/pricing/selling or anything else, you guys helped me out a lot and i REALLY appreciated all of it. To all you guys and all the others i forgot, thanks for everything you've done for me in my time here.

Hopefully, maybe someday i can come back but for now, consider this my FDQ exit :sorry:

Happy collecting guys,

Jason

I like you Jason. :hi:

So don't take this the wrong way when I say your very much over-reacting.

I have lost many comics in auctions in the last minute by either bidding to low or honestly forgetting to go back & bid. It is the name of the game. One poster raised a good point that if you want to win a book for your personal collection then bid your max right away and be done with it.

Anyone will tell you if you think a book was under-graded you should resub it at least one more time before you throw in the towel.

I have had 5 big ticket books this year on straight resub come back with the grade I had envisioned.

These were just resubbed only and nothing else but a crack out and resubmission:

SA ASM CGC 9.2 OWW to 9.6 WP

SA FF CGC 9.4 WP to CGC 9.8 WP

SA DD CGC 9.6 WP to CGC 9.8 WP

Man up for God sakes cause you have a nice collection. :sumo:

Last night's Comiclink fiasco was bad enough but a few minutes ago i received some CRUSHING news from Joey on a resub. Like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, i tried to play the resub game on a book everyone and their mother thought would upgrade but instead somehow dropped. Thats what i get for trying to beat the system i guess.

Back in 2000, i got burned on a deal and left the hobby for like 10 years. I just couldnt stand to look a comic and not want to puke. It took a LONG time but passed and i came back with a vengeance last year. This time, it's even more bitterly disappointing! I dont know if it will be weeks, months, years or forever but this is the end of collecting for me for at least a while. I havent decided if i'm going to sell off my entire collection or just stash it away again for years not looking at it. I'll let the dust settle a little before deciding (shrug)

Oh well, thats the way the cookie crumbles. I'm a big boy and will survive with or without comics. I dont know if i'll still post or not. For the time being, probably not. I'm sure a LOT of you will be REAL upset with that lol

Before i go though, i do want to say a few things. As some of you know, i definitely get emotional over the books i love so much. As a result, i say some stupid things and people off that dont deserve it. To ALL of those people, i apologize. In the heat of the moment i say things that would be MUCH better left unsaid and for that i'm sorry. To the LONG list of people that fall under that category, my heartfelt apologies! What can i say other than i'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person a lot of the time!

Lastly, i do want to thank all the people on here that have helped me the last year or so. I'm sure i'm forgetting LOTS of people but guys like cheetah, fingh, rube, Jive, sassemble and a bunch of others have helped me out MUCH more than i deserved. Wether it was just talking comics in pm or advice on purchases/pricing/selling or anything else, you guys helped me out a lot and i REALLY appreciated all of it. To all you guys and all the others i forgot, thanks for everything you've done for me in my time here.

Hopefully, maybe someday i can come back but for now, consider this my FDQ exit :sorry:

Happy collecting guys,

Jason

I have lost many comics in auctions in the last minute by either bidding to low or honestly forgetting to go back & bid. It is the name of the game. One poster raised a good point that if you want to win a book for your personal collection then bid your max right away and be done with it.

Anyone will tell you if you think a book was under-graded you should resub it at least one more time before you throw in the towel.

I have had 5 big ticket books this year on straight resub come back with the grade I had envisioned.

These were just resubbed only and nothing else but a crack out and resubmission:

you're

Those auction houses can get pretty expensive when you don't know when to stop,kind of like a compulsive gambler in Vegas.You just have to set limits,if that is what your Clink fiasco is. (shrug)
I was shocked at some of the final prices in the Comiclink auction. I didn't lose any sleep, not winning any books. Although, I have a lot of patience waiting for the right book at the right price.

(thumbs u

I agree that if-at-first-you-don't-succeed, crack it again. Send it to a different presser. One book getting bumped down isn't a big deal, it can go back up just as well. Maybe it got minor damage during shipping.

Happy collecting guys,

Jason

you're

He doesn't understand what you're saying. :gossip:

No, trust me, it isnt just missing the books i wanted so badly last night or the resub drop. Those played a HUGE part but its more than that. I dont want to air it out there any more than it has been but other STUPID things(that were pretty much 100% my fault) that have happened on here with boardies i respected BIGTIME already had me bummed out a little with the hobby.

It's not a money issue. Not to sound like a bigger than i already do but i think most of you that know me or the books i buy can tell that losing some money on a resub isnt the end of the world for me.

I dont know how to explain it but all the fun of collecting is gone for me right now. I dont do this to flip or make money. I buy books because i LOVE them as much as anyone on here i can guarantee you! My love for these damn books is why i have as many enemies as friends on here. I definitely get too wound up over them and say stupid things to good people.

When it gets to a point though that it no longer fun though, its time to take a step back. Thats where i'm at now. But hey, my other true PASSION, Syracuse basketball has the highest preseason ranking theyve had since my god and the reason i went to Syracuse, Derrick Coleman was a senior. At least i can throw myself into their games and let the dust settle and see how i feel in a couple months.

Oh and my apologies to silver surfer and Mark1! I DEFINITELY should have but forgot to mention you in my initial thank you post (worship)

When it gets to a point though that it no longer fun though, its time to take a step back. Thats where i'm at now.

If you truly feel that way, then you have to do what you think is best. Many on here will view it as a huge overreaction but at the end of the day, what you feel is necessary is most important, not what any of us feel is necessary. Best of luck

No, trust me, it isnt just missing the books i wanted so badly last night or the resub drop. Those played a HUGE part but its more than that. I dont want to air it out there any more than it has been but other STUPID things(that were pretty much 100% my fault) that have happened on here with boardies i respected BIGTIME already had me bummed out a little with the hobby.

It's not a money issue. Not to sound like a bigger than i already do but i think most of you that know me or the books i buy can tell that losing some money on a resub isnt the end of the world for me.

I dont know how to explain it but all the fun of collecting is gone for me right now. I dont do this to flip or make money. I buy books because i LOVE them as much as anyone on here i can guarantee you! My love for these damn books is why i have as many enemies as friends on here. I definitely get too wound up over them and say stupid things to good people.

When it gets to a point though that it no longer fun though, its time to take a step back. Thats where i'm at now. But hey, my other true PASSION, Syracuse basketball has the highest preseason ranking theyve had since my god and the reason i went to Syracuse, Derrick Coleman was a senior. At least i can throw myself into their games and let the dust settle and see how i feel in a couple months.

Oh and my apologies to silver surfer and Mark1! I DEFINITELY should have but forgot to mention you in my initial thank you post (worship)

No worries man. I hope you decide to stay.