• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Scariest Movie Moment

280 posts in this topic

Ok, pov, ok..

I am just jealous of anyone looking that good at your age.

I mean.. I hope I can look that good when I am 40.

smile.gif

And just so everyone knows..

I am j/k

me <--------------- poking fun at----------->Pov

expect my photo/avatar soon pov..

27_laughing.gif

The end of Silence of the Lambs when the bad guy puts on the nightvision goggles in a dark room and follows Jodie Foster....

Jim

Put the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again!! grin.gif

Yeeeessshhhhhhhhh! You know - there was a sublte (or maybe not so subtle) moment there when she was crying and saying "I want my mommy" and HE was getting visibly upset and tormented by it. Then she tracks up and sees the "townie nail polish" fingernail embedded in the wall, loses herself and just starts screaming. At that moment, he started with the "it" - as if he needed her to be in that condition to objectify her. Gawd that was shuddery!

I cant watch that actor that played (was it Buffalo Bill?) in the same light ever again.

As the girl is screaming in the pit.. and see the fingernails..

and he starts mimiking her..

classic stuff..

And that little dog..

classic..

What did he call it?

I cant watch that actor that played (was it Buffalo Bill?) in the same light ever again.

As the girl is screaming in the pit.. and see the fingernails..

and he starts mimiking her..

classic stuff..

And that little dog..

classic..

What did he call it?

The dog's name was Precious. (hmmm - Lord Of The Rings! And what Butters called that video in the South Park LOTR take)

When I was 12 I managed to see the original Evil Dead in the cinema and it made me afraid of EVERYTHING for months on end...Of course they camped it up (in a good way) by Evil Dead 3, but that original movie warped me for life.

Two years later I saw The Exorcist at a friend's house who had the first VCR I had ever seen and I went through all of it again 893whatthe.gif

I'm not a fan of horror movies, so I haven't seen all that many of them. But the two scenes that I remember making me jump in a theatre are the severed head in Jaws, that's been mentioned here, and the hand grabbing the ankle at the end of Carrie. I just wasn't expecting either of those.

-- Joanna

Honorary mention goes to Roman Polanski who directed Repulsion

Not scary, but definitely disturbing. The image of the decaying rabbit has lived with me for over 20 years.

Scariest Movie Moment #1 = when Laurence Olivier is drilling into Dustin Hoffmans teeth in "Marathon Man".

Scariest Movie Moment #2 = in "The Other Side of the Mountain" when the girl is being tended too in the hospital, in traction, after her skiing accident. I don't know if it was the realism but it made me queasy all over... crazy.gif

Any movie you wont see a second time because they either scared you to much or weirded you out beyond anything?

Takashi Miike's Audition and Herman Yau's The Untold Story.

Weirdest movie I ever saw was something they showed on the BBC around 1985. It was a late 60's piece called (I think) The Experiencer. I'm sure Nic Roeg was credited with some camerawork but I've never been able to find a reference to the film anywhere. It's about 3 hours long and aptly demonstrates what happens when you mix a film crew with a small budget and too much acid. I think there's only 1 character and nothing really happens, well nothing definable anyway, but I'd be intrigued to see it again just to remind myself how bizarrely [!@#%^&^] it was. Ring any bells with you?

You mentioned Ringu which I've never seen, but from the reviews I've seen I must get round to it. Was this remade in the US recently or am I off track here?

You know, it's funny. I love Kubrick. I love Jack Nicholson. I like Stephen King.......;

The Shining?..........eh.

Just goes to show you, that what chills one, ices someone else.

I just thought that Nicholson (unfortunately named Jack in the movie) chewed up the scenery, and overplayed the role so badly, it lost any real menace. I mean it HAD its' moments...(2 little girls in the hallway - yikes!). But no subtlety. And the cobwebs and corpses littered around the hotel at the end? sleeping.gif

I'm not a great horror fan, but I love Kubrick and liked this. I do think it marks the end of Jack Nicholson as a watchable actor though as he has tended to sink into a parody of himself since then.

A great director but a shame his last film was such a POS. Mind you, one of my faves by him is Barry Lyndon, so maybe I'm not his best critic.

OK, after all the asides I've made, I'd have to say that horror movies don't really do it for me as I can't ever get scared by fantasy. I can get repulsed and the last film to do that to me was a nasty English movie that came out about 3 or 4 years ago called Gangster Number 1 (or maybe just Gangster) with Malcolm McDowell. This had a scene in, which really did make me wish I'd never seen the film. That's not a recommendation, just a reasonable argument against the perils of free speech.

RH mentioned Marathon Man and the dentist scene in that is quite horrifying, probably because we all go to the dentist but we don't usually run into Zombies that much.

Only other one that comes to mind, unmentioned so far, is Scorsese's remake of Cape Fear. De Niro is quite compelling and in his final rampage, you really do get the feeling that he is a psycopathic loony capable of carving everyone into little bits.

When this thread is done, we should start one on SF films, which are much more fun.

Well, definitely, hats off to xsmanx for starting this thread! thumbsup2.gif

Oh, and if the corpses in the lobby in the Shining looked real, I might have been scared, but they looked no scarier to me than the local Halloween Hayride.

Recenty saw Full Metal Jacket for the first time since I saw it when it came out. Excellent. Barry Lyndon is one of my faves too.

I have Phantasm on dvd. Lots of fun extras on the discs. I happen to be a fan of The Ring, having also seen Ringu. I thought the remake was pretty dang good! Novel is excellent, it unwinds very casually. A good read!

And yep, the rotting rabbit in Repulsion....and the hands popping out of the WALL! Ngaaahhh!

Yes, I've seen Full Metal Jacket a few times (Vietnam filmed in Londons Dockland!). Trouble is, it's 2 movies. The first is excellent, but the second is very so-so.

I think the only one I've never seen is Paths Of Glory, which many people reckon is his best. I like Kirk Douglas too, so I'll have to dig a copy out one day.

Some scenes that have freaked me out:

- The very end of the first "Nightmare on Elm St.". I didn't think much of the movie, but the end (where he pulls that girl's mom through the small pane of glass on the front door) startled me.

- The "clown" scene in the first Poltergeist. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this. My fiance and I have talked about that scene, and it freaked us both out when we saw it. I went with a friend of mine to an afternoon show (I was 11 when it came out), and I was still creeped out when I went to bed that night. I periodically checked under my bed (for HOURS) to make sure there were no clowns under it. I probably got four hours of sleep that night. smile.gif

- I know it wasn't a horror film, but in "Independence Day", when they're examining the alien that got shot down, they do a gradual close-up (and of course I'm leaning forward in my seat to get a better look, right?) and then the head suddenly snaps open. It startled me so badly, and I jumped back so hard, I hurt myself (literally - I hit my elbow on the front end of the arm rest). I had to watch the rest of the movie in pain. frown.gif

- My mom and sister used to go out to eat and go shopping on Saturday nights while I stayed home and watched wrestling. I remember the commercials for the original "Halloween" coming on and getting scared by the dang commercials (I was 7 when it came out). I saw it years later when it first came on HBO. One of the best ones ever made, IMO.

- I was also freaked out by the original TCM. I think the IDEA of Leatherface (that there really was someone out there capable of doing things like that) disturbed me more than the actual movie did. I tried watching the movie that was based just on him (I want to say that the title was his real-life name, although I can't remember it right now), but it was pretty slow and boring. I never finished it.