• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do, Part the Second...

1,096 posts in this topic

I believe RMA is talking about an order he made with us.

He ordered 37 comics. Looks like almost all were 2nd printings, later printings, or newsstand editions. Of the 37 he ordered, 4 were found not to be available--our computer thought we had them but they weren't on shelf. Our fill rate averages 99.5%--for every 200 items ordered, there's 1 item that our computer thinks we have in stock that we discover we don't actually have. I'd attribute the higher number of misses in this case to RMA targeting somewhat unusual issues compared to the typical customer--issues that don't get ordered very often, so old errors in our inventory are less likely to have already been discovered and corrected.

We sent him 33 comics for our eBay $3.95 flat rate shipping. I understand there were two errors in what we sent. A Man of Steel where he ordered a 5th printing but got the 1st, and an X-Men 2099 newsstand issue (not sure what that error was--maybe not the newsstand edition). He was refunded the $1.10 and $1.30 purchase prices, respectively. He was not refunded the $3.95 shipping since the shipment included 31 other comics besides the two for which he was refunded.

A copy of the Man of Steel 5th printing that RMA wants is still listed in stock. He's welcome to order it as a new order, either by itself or with other items, subject to the standard shipping terms ($3.95 flat rate if ordered through eBay; free shipping on orders over $50 if ordered through our web site; etc.). Nobody is forcing a "second" shipping charge on RMA--he just didn't get one comic he wanted.

Even though our computer shows that we still have the desired Man of Steel 5th printing in stock, we told RMA that we do not send out free of charge replacement copies. When a large percentage of the items you sell are $1.00-$2.00 comics, sending out shipments to replace a single item is expensive. Most of our customers order from us frequently, so if we sent a wrong item, we'll refund it and then it's not a problem for the customer to throw the replacement copy in with their next order. Maybe they have enough items in the order to qualify for free shipping, maybe they don't, but bundling multiple items together in an order helps minimize the amount of dollars going to shipping rather than comics.

We believe this policy works well for us and our customers. Everything's a trade-off, and cost-conscious decisions like these are part of what allow us to provide the industry's largest selection of comics at low prices. There are other dealers that have more generous return/replacement terms than we do, but none with the selection and prices we provide.

In answer to RMA's "what should I do?", I'd look at it like this: "I got 31 comics I wanted, many at $1.10 a piece, for $3.95 shipping. It probably would have cost quite a bit more, and required multiple orders from multiple dealers, to get those comics elsewhere. I didn't get one comic I particularly wanted, but I got my money back with no hassle. I'll either pay the $1.10 plus $3.95 to order a replacement, or wait a few weeks until they have some more comics that I want so that the $3.95 shipping cost is covering more than just one comic, or order $50 worth of comics and pay no shipping at all."

He ordered 37 comics. Looks like almost all were 2nd printings, later printings, or newsstand editions. Of the 37 he ordered, 4 were found not to be available--our computer thought we had them but they weren't on shelf. Our fill rate averages 99.5%--for every 200 items ordered, there's 1 item that our computer thinks we have in stock that we discover we don't actually have. I'd attribute the higher number of misses in this case to RMA targeting somewhat unusual issues compared to the typical customer--issues that don't get ordered very often, so old errors in our inventory are less likely to have already been discovered and corrected.

We sent him 33 comics for our eBay $3.95 flat rate shipping. I understand there were two errors in what we sent. A Man of Steel where he ordered a 5th printing but got the 1st, and an X-Men 2099 newsstand issue (not sure what that error was--maybe not the newsstand edition). He was refunded the $1.10 and $1.30 purchase prices, respectively. He was not refunded the $3.95 shipping since the shipment included 31 other comics besides the two for which he was refunded.

A copy of the Man of Steel 5th printing that RMA wants is still listed in stock. He's welcome to order it as a new order, either by itself or with other items, subject to the standard shipping terms ($3.95 flat rate if ordered through eBay; free shipping on orders over $50 if ordered through our web site; etc.). Nobody is forcing a "second" shipping charge on RMA--he just didn't get one comic he wanted.

Even though our computer shows that we still have the desired Man of Steel 5th printing in stock, we told RMA that we do not send out free of charge replacement copies. When a large percentage of the items you sell are $1.00-$2.00 comics, sending out shipments to replace a single item is expensive. Most of our customers order from us frequently, so if we sent a wrong item, we'll refund it and then it's not a problem for the customer to throw the replacement copy in with their next order. Maybe they have enough items in the order to qualify for free shipping, maybe they don't, but bundling multiple items together in an order helps minimize the amount of dollars going to shipping rather than comics.

We believe this policy works well for us and our customers. Everything's a trade-off, and cost-conscious decisions like these are part of what allow us to provide the industry's largest selection of comics at low prices. There are other dealers that have more generous return/replacement terms than we do, but none with the selection and prices we provide.

In answer to RMA's "what should I do?", I'd look at it like this: "I got 31 comics I wanted, many at $1.10 a piece, for $3.95 shipping. It probably would have cost quite a bit more, and required multiple orders from multiple dealers, to get those comics elsewhere. I didn't get one comic I particularly wanted, but I got my money back with no hassle. I'll either pay the $1.10 plus $3.95 to order a replacement, or wait a few weeks until they have some more comics that I want so that the $3.95 shipping cost is covering more than just one comic, or order $50 worth of comics and pay no shipping at all."

I personally think that is pretty poor customer service.

If you screw up the order, the cost should be on you.

Everyone makes mistakes. I know I have sold books before, and then could not locate them for one reason or the other, but I have never asked the customer to pay additionally for the shipping if/when I locate the book later.

mycomicshop has a very reasonable explanation. I also have no doubt that the shipping was not at all a money maker for lonestar, with 31 comics in the order. I 'get' that the customer is upset because the one book they really wanted and which was the basis for the entire order was left out.

I am a huge fan of lonestar in general, and how they conduct their business, which is only reason I am making a peep. It is understandable that when dealing with odd variations/printings on $1 to $2 books that there would be a higher whiff rate than when dealing with more conventional type inventory.

See above. If you made the mistake...then the customer should not be charged twice for shipping. YOU made the error. YOU should fix it without penalty to the customer. End of story.

Your response didn't get me interested in being a customer... (tsk)

BTW, in general, I know from my own point of view, if I screw up, I absorb the cost and get the correct product out to customer on my dime.

But I do hear where lonestar is coming from, they do not have a Walmart type exchange/return/refund policy for a myriad of cost efficiency reasons.

Your response started out reasonable enough...then we get to this part.

Forcing a second shipping charge on him is exactly what you are doing. This is your inventory system, your error, not the customer's. How in the world can you think it's reasonable to tell the customer to order a book they've already ordered and pay shipping a second time for something that your system erroneously failed provide him the first time around?

He ordered the book, your system told him the book was there, you didn't include the book in his order, your system and your inventory still say the book is stock. The only person who didn't make a mistake in this scenario (man and machine included) was RMA, yet you think it's fair that HE be the only one to pay for it? Really?

If you don't correct something that is clearly your mistake, clearly your system's mistake, and you leave the customer no choice but the pay shipping a second time to get the book you are absolutely forcing a second shipping charge on him.

We believe this policy works well for us and our customers.

I believe that's, roughly, 50% correct.

Ultimately, the error lies with Lonestar as the book was available, not available and then available again.

In essence, RMA ended up paying for shipping twice. Granted , we are talking about $3.95 but it is not the amount, it is the principle.

The customer is always right is a fun debate, but in this case, the customer has a point.

I like Lone Star, I use them regularly, but...

This is all I hear:

WE messed you order up. Sorry. We refunded you for the comic you DIDN'T get, even though we still have it in STOCK.

If you want us to send that $1.10 comic to you free, simply buy $48.90 more worth of comics, and it'll all be good.

That's what everyone else does.

We're not FORCING you to buy it.

This is all I hear:

WE messed you order up. Sorry. We refunded you for the comic you DIDN'T get, even though we still have it in STOCK.

If you want us to send that $1.10 comic to you free, simply buy $48.90 more worth of comics, and it'll all be good.

What happens if it doesn't get included with that order too? lol

This is all I hear:

Fifty bucks.

This is all I hear:

Just order another $49.80 worth of comics and we'll get it right this time!

All the kids are doin' it this way!

This particular sentence is cringe worthy, wish Conan had not typed this.

"Nobody is forcing a "second" shipping charge on RMA--he just didn't get one comic he wanted."

Yeah, there's a real easy solution to all of this.

The more people that read that particular explanation the more "expensive" that $3.95 shipping charge is going to feel to Lonestar.