• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pressing

361 posts in this topic

Here is a weird scenario that I have always wondered if it has ever happened.

Lets say a person sells his book and someone buys it and then presses it and it comes back a higher grade and then the buyer puts it up for sale and the original seller buys it back at a way higher price (higher price then him sending it to a presser and getting it slabbed) not knowing it was his original book just pressed.

Wonder if that has ever happened due to people trying to upgrade their books.

Probably.

Do you see anything unethical or wrong with this?

Personally I think I would be upset and feel ripped off.

Fortunately I know about pressing.

How is this ripping someone off? They agreed to pay X for the book. If they fail to ask the right questions they are just as much to blame as the seller that lies about disclosure.

Lets say a person sells his book and someone buys it and then presses it and it comes back a higher grade and then the buyer puts it up for sale and the original seller buys it back at a way higher price (higher price then him sending it to a presser and getting it slabbed) not knowing it was his original book just pressed.

Probably.

I don't see anything unethical or wrong. And I wouldn't feel cheated (I have sold books and bought them back slabbed at a higher grade for a higher price).

Probably.

How is this ripping someone off? They agreed to pay X for the book. If they fail to ask the right questions they are just as much to blame as the seller that lies about disclosure.

Never said anyone was ripped off! Said I would feel ripped off.

And yes lets take the easy way out with buyer beware!

How about a seller just be upfront. I know sellers that do this and do just fine. You actually press books for even a person I know and again they do just fine. You yourself have admitted that you disclose in your ebay ads and yet another example of someone that just does fine when selling books and I actually commend you for it.

I know it may sound like I'm nit-picking. But having collected for a long time, and having bought and sold comics for a long time I feel like I have seen quite a bit in the history and development of the hobby. I remember when I first became aware of page quality as criteria for collecting. I bought a book through the CBG that had been graded very fairly but the pages were starting to brittle. I knew then that for my collection I would prefer nice pages. I have since dealt with folks who are much more particular with the degree of paper quality they desire. I have also dealt with folks who are not particular at all, as long as the book is complete. Personal preference. I get both sides. I remember the first collector who said to me that under no circumstances did he want a book that had a date stamp. That was a personal preference. He just didn't like them. They looked ugly to him. Date stamps have never bothered me much, unless they are right in the middle of the cover. Same with store stamps. A boardie once gave me a hard time for passing on a high grade Crowley File book with a big stamp in the middle of the cover. It was my personal preference. I didn't like the way it looked. I now totally understand the guy with the aversion to date stamps. I don't necessarily agree, but I understand it. Cover mis-wraps are the same category. Some hate a slightly mis-wrapped book. Some don't mind at all. Personally they don't bother me terribly as long as there isn't too much of a white line showing on the spine. If they are mis-wrapped I much prefer them around to the back. But again, personal preference, and I understand each side. One of my biggest pet peeves is a high grade book with a faded cover. I hate a faded cover. One of the biggest reason that a comic book first caught my eye as a kid was the bright colors. One of the reasons I don't collect much comic book original art is because of the lack of color. But I have met many people who aren't particularly bothered by fading. Personal preference. I get it. I don't want it, but I get it. I guess the question now is whether or not a book has been pressed is a personal preference or something else.

I understand

I hate Rat Chews

Don't like brittle pages.

Covers are nice:) Sparkles..are OK, if they are still glued on and don't get on my floor;) :foryou:

Edit, I'd prefer not owning books with rat chews...books are inanimate objects and I don't "hate" things made of paper;)

Probably.

I don't see anything unethical or wrong. And I wouldn't feel cheated (I have sold books and bought them back slabbed at a higher grade for a higher price).

Well you are in the business as well. In my mind as a collector and not a reseller it would be a loss of money since it would have been probably cheaper for me to send off to a presser such as joeypost. Now note if the book was able to be upgraded and if I didn't know about pressing. Not everyone has tons of income either and I think it would be that loss of money that would hurt me the most when I found out I just bought my upgraded book back when I could have upgraded it for cheaper if I had known about pressing.

Maybe in the end it is how do we get this knowledge about pressing to the masses. I help out at a couple collectible stores and many times I have mentioned pressing and they had no clue what I was talking about. So maybe educating the masses is the end solution.

Probably.

Well you are in the business as well. In my mind as a collector and not a reseller it would be a loss of money since it would have been probably cheaper for me to send off to a presser such as joeypost. Now note if the book was able to be upgraded and if I didn't know about pressing. Not everyone has tons of income either and I think it would be that loss of money that would hurt me the most when I found out I just bought my upgraded book back when I could have upgraded it for cheaper if I had known about pressing.

Maybe in the end it is how do we get this knowledge about pressing to the masses. I help out at a couple collectible stores and many times I have mentioned pressing and they had no clue what I was talking about. So maybe educating the masses is the end solution.

I am in the business. I am also a collector. Whether or not I am in the business doesn't negate my opinion. The guy sold the book. Someone else pressed it. The guy bought it back. Nothing unethical or wrong about it. If the guy has a problem with it that is his prerogative. And one may think he is right for feeling wronged and another may think it is just sour grapes. In the end it doesn't matter because the guy in the middle did nothing wrong. And he did nothing wrong whether I am in the business of selling comics or I am a collector.

I hate Rat Chews.

You hate rats.

I am afraid of rats

Might consider doing an Indiana Jones about snakes, but I don't think they eat paper;)

Can you say something bright and cheery and smiley, please? You've got a mutual friend sending me red mad faces, I think you upset him...or I did;) :foryou:

I would suggest not buying any books from Georgia, Florida, South Texas, South Carolina, South and Central America or anywhere else that has relative humidity levels of 70% or greater. I would also ask if the books you are purchasing have ever sat in a warehouse for longer than 6 months.

The argument is almost laughable (and no, this is not an attack on you whisp) considering how much ambient moisture a book can be subjected to during the course of it's lifetime.

I would also add making sure you never mail your books in the heat of the summer, when it is raining or getting ready to rain. That leaves a 3 week window in the fall and another 2 week window in the spring.

The amount of humidity the books are subject to in the hydration chamber are no different than atmospheric conditions where I live in the summer.

Another important thing to mention is that the hydration level of a book changes and is constantly changing over it's entire life. If a book is in a humid environment (for example, you just got out of the bathroom reading a comic while your roommate was taking a hot shower :blush: ) that water that has entered the comic will eventually dry out naturally. Just the way it would if your comic shop with no airconditioning in the summer would humidify a comic and then it would eventually dry out.

And if you're afraid of moisture entering a comic then you should never buy a book at a large comic book convention in the summer (especially in the Southern states like Florida...although Chicago had a heat wave during WW Chicago in August this year), because during the 1, 2 or 3 days of set up the AC is off, the back doors to the con room are wide open and the room is an oven with people sweating while literally millions of books are sitting in this warm, humid environment.

Also add what if the original seller doesn't know about pressing and was selling the book to make some money to look and buy an upgrade.

Wonder what their thoughts would be on the matter that just transpired when they find out about it.

True story:

A company needs a special resin for their project to work.

They order the resin from a 2nd company who is an international commodities dealer.

That 2nd company finds and orders the resin from a 3rd company who happens to be in the same building as the 1st company that initially needed the resin. They are only a few floors apart.

The 2nd company buys the resin from the 3rd company and have it shipped to their offices only to ship it off back to the 1st company who placed the initial order and charge them a tidy but fair profit for the resin.

Again, true story.

I enjoy the history of the books, I've never minded amateur restoration...I guess my main problem with pressing and disclosure , is I want to protect the rights of those who DO care.

They have every right in the world to ask if a book has been pressed or not.

I don't like corn. It isn't life or death. I'm not allergic to it. I just don't like it... personal preference. So, when I go to a restaurant, I ask the server if the item I'm interested in contains corn. They answer my question with a yes or a no and then I chose whether or not I want to order that specific menu item. I do not expect the restaurant to disclose every item on the menu that may contain corn in advance of me being outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed

haven't read beyond this post, but please oh please let my soon-to-come prounouncement be the first:

BUT THAT'S A STRAW-MAN ARGUMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how did i live 56+ years without this magical incantation being the backbone of my position in any argument that might come my way? hell, better late than never.

Also add what if the original seller doesn't know about pressing and was selling the book to make some money to look and buy an upgrade.

Wonder what their thoughts would be on the matter that just transpired when they find out about it.

their thoughts shouldn't be anything other than that they missed an opportunity. like if you buy a book w/o a ped being touted, get it in and find the "NM+" code on an olshevsky book and send it in to cgc and now it's a chicago. original seller now buys it back at a much higher price. he shouldn't feel anything other than "damn the luck" in my view.