• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pressing

361 posts in this topic

Take 40 comics. Stack on top of a comic with non color breaking creases. Leave for 5 years.

Have you "restored" the comic at the bottom of the stack?

If you answer no, pressing is not restoration. If you answer yes, you're a d-bag who needs to get a life.

Put one hand under a stack of forty comics and the other hand in a proper press with some heat and moisture and compare the feeling. I know which one I'd rather risk my hand with.

I won't argue the pressing issue one way or another. But I dislike bad analogies. The last response attempts to put pressing in a worse light by asking whether you would rather your hand was pressed (assumption being this would be painful) or whether you would rather place your hand under 40 comics (assumed to be less painful).

But the analogy is incomplete, thus a prejudicial retort.

The proper analogy would be would you rather haver your hand pressed (presumably about a 1 minute process) or would you rather have your hand placed underneath 40 comics for 5 years. Then we see, that given a proper and fair analogy, the public answers are likely to shift in a completely different direction.

(Given such a choice... I'll go for short-term pain over 5 years of mild but relentless pressure probably leading to permanent nerve damage).

Perspective, people, perspective.

And no more cheating on your analogies!

I too don't have a dog in this fight and I like to question bad logic. As you elude, a hand is not like a comic in that it can feel pain without sustaining permanent damage. A hand is also not like a comic in that one could leave a comic behind and return and suffer no loss, not so with a hand. Your analogy is no more proper and fair, however, all analogies break down. That is the nature of analogies, they are not flawless, they just challenge us to think of thing from a different perspective. In that sense, both analogies succeed. (thumbs u

Now I know why I have avoided pressing threads in the past. :P

It seems like even in this part of the forum, it's only a matter of time till someone starts with the snarky comments. :eyeroll:

Another of the many problems with the internets...one man's humor is another man's snark. Knowing Billy I can hear the post the way he would say it, hear the inflection in it, and hear the humor in it. Sure the words can be read as snarky, but I was giggling like a little kid. So give Billy back some of that British snark you guys are so famous for. Believe me, he will not only appreciate it, he will probably respect you for it (thumbs u

You're going to London in February, aren't you? Hope I get the chance to buy you a beer. (thumbs u

BTW, I didn't know the British are famous for snark. :ohnoez:

Take 40 comics. Stack on top of a comic with non color breaking creases. Leave for 5 years.

Have you "restored" the comic at the bottom of the stack?

If you answer no, pressing is not restoration. If you answer yes, you're a d-bag who needs to get a life.

Put one hand under a stack of forty comics and the other hand in a proper press with some heat and moisture and compare the feeling. I know which one I'd rather risk my hand with.

I won't argue the pressing issue one way or another. But I dislike bad analogies. The last response attempts to put pressing in a worse light by asking whether you would rather your hand was pressed (assumption being this would be painful) or whether you would rather place your hand under 40 comics (assumed to be less painful).

But the analogy is incomplete, thus a prejudicial retort.

The proper analogy would be would you rather haver your hand pressed (presumably about a 1 minute process) or would you rather have your hand placed underneath 40 comics for 5 years. Then we see, that given a proper and fair analogy, the public answers are likely to shift in a completely different direction.

(Given such a choice... I'll go for short-term pain over 5 years of mild but relentless pressure probably leading to permanent nerve damage).

Perspective, people, perspective.

And no more cheating on your analogies!

I too don't have a dog in this fight and I like to question bad logic. As you elude, a hand is not like a comic in that it can feel pain without sustaining permanent damage. A hand is also not like a comic in that one could leave a comic behind and return and suffer no loss, not so with a hand. Your analogy is no more proper and fair, however, all analogies break down. That is the nature of analogies, they are not flawless, they just challenge us to think of thing from a different perspective. In that sense, both analogies succeed. (thumbs u

If I knew that it led to permanent nerve damage in comics, I'd be even more against pressing. hm

Very true indeed! Still... some analogies are more choherent than others. It's sort of like if you were trying to fly a peanut-butter topped cracker using kite string, would it not be rather akin to a walrus arranging chairs on the Titanic?

See... sometimes the combining of visual analogies often elucidates the point.

It seems like even in this part of the forum, it's only a matter of time till someone starts with the snarky comments. :eyeroll:

Another of the many problems with the internets...one man's humor is another man's snark. Knowing Billy I can hear the post the way he would say it, hear the inflection in it, and hear the humor in it. Sure the words can be read as snarky, but I was giggling like a little kid. So give Billy back some of that British snark you guys are so famous for. Believe me, he will not only appreciate it, he will probably respect you for it (thumbs u

You're going to London in February, aren't you? Hope I get the chance to buy you a beer. (thumbs u

:o

Calling someone a D-bag for disagreeing with your stance on pressing? That's pretty immature. You call someone a D-bag for slapping his wife around, or plssing on drunk people in an alley, or stealing other people's property. Those are d0uche worthy.

Getting that worked up over a comic book pressing thread that it results in name calling? People like that need to go out and experience some of the things in the real world that are truly douchey. Then come back here with a little more patience and tolerance towards the things in life that really don't matter much beyond simple discussion.

Very true indeed! Still... some analogies are more choherent than others. It's sort of like if you were trying to fly a peanut-butter topped cracker using kite string, would it not be rather akin to a walrus arranging chairs on the Titanic?

See... sometimes the combining of visual analogies often elucidates the point.

:banana:

Calling someone a D-bag for disagreeing with your stance on pressing? That's pretty immature. You call someone a D-bag for slapping his wife around, or plssing on drunk people in an alley, or stealing other people's property. Those are d0uche worthy.

Getting that worked up over a comic book pressing thread that it results in name calling? People like that need to go out and experience some of the things in the real world that are truly douchey. Then come back here with a little more patience and tolerance towards the things in life that really don't matter much beyond simple discussion.

Silly newb. I thought you had this place figured out by now. :baiting:;)

This is really the only forum that I participate on but from what I can glean, most online nerds are incapable of positive discourse.

This is really the only forum that I participate on but from what I can glean, most online nerds are incapable of positive discourse.

Yeah, I enjoy this place - I get more interesting interaction here than anywhere else, and I don't usually get mixed up in online dramatics or troll baiting. I suspect the guy who called people who thought pressing was restoration was just being a troll, but it was something I wanted to say.

Yeah, I enjoy this place - I get more interesting interaction here than anywhere else, and I don't usually get mixed up in online dramatics or troll baiting. I suspect the guy who called people who thought pressing was restoration was just being a troll, but it was something I wanted to say.

By the way, I consider myself an online nerd.

:blush:

What about calling someone a d-bag for foisting tens of thousands of bad girl comics upon unsuspecting patron in the mid-90's? :D

I'll be there. I am really looking forward to seeing you, Nick, Alanna, Andy, George and everyone else. We'll trade beers and snark.

What about calling someone a d-bag for foisting tens of thousands of bad girl comics upon unsuspecting patron in the mid-90's? :D

That was forced upon me by Wizard Magazine and Diamond Distributing. They said if I didn't buy at least 100 copies of the Shi/Razor crossover, they were going to come and break my cat's legs.

I agree but you don't have to go far to see far worse places than this. Just look at some of the comments on youtube and you'll see some people who are severely in need of a life. What pleasure they get from slagging each other off, I'll never know. doh!

That was forced upon me by Wizard Magazine and Diamond Distributing. They said if I didn't buy at least 100 copies of the Shi/Razor crossover, they were going to come and break my cat's legs.

The funniest thing about it is that I was out of collecting by the time that was going on, and I am strangely fascinated by those books. :screwy: I am obsessed with the Vengeance of Vampirella royal blues, and a bunch of other books, especially Evil Ernie.

The funniest thing about it is that I was out of collecting by the time that was going on, and I am strangely fascinated by those books. :screwy: I am obsessed with the Vengeance of Vampirella royal blues, and a bunch of other books, especially Evil Ernie.

I still am, too. I think it's a nostalgia thing for me. I bought that VoV Quesada foil cover at my LCS last time I was there, and I just bought Lady Death #1 and #2 of the fist series on Ebay. Doesn't cost much, but there's this ingrained need to pick up those books again, even if they are value-less. Must be leftover latent desires from when they had value.

well, get used to it gaz, because that's just...

snarky.jpg