• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pressing

361 posts in this topic

If I do decide to have it look better, I will only use Joey and one of the reasons is because not only does he disclose...he doesn't make fun of people

who want disclosure. Nor does he call people with other opinions, "emotional" ...a rather weak argument imho.

Bob, sorry if you think my logic is ridiculous.

Sha, it seems that I offended you and Bob and maybe some others with my use of the word emotional.

It wasn't my intention at all to do so.

I wasn't calling the people "emotional" as in overly emotional. We're all emotional. I was saying that the decision making process, the reasoning used to determine whether someone wants a pressed book or not seems to be emotional.

The reason I said that, is that if someone was worried about a book's history and state of preservation they would be more inclined to ask how the book was stored over it's life (did it spend time in a hot car, non climate-controlled storage, in a garage, in a Fed Ex truck over the weekend, etc) as all of these factors would much more greatly affect the life expectancy of a book in my opinion than a professionally done pressing job.

Like I said, it's just my own 2c or my own way of understanding the situation.

Not meant to be a rock throwing comment or anything like that.

:)

What disturbs me, is that many of those who are pro pressing, argue about it not being restoration very vehemently.

Not everyone, but many people. The only reason I can see for that, is that pressing a book can bring more money.

Sharon, I am not pro-pressing. I am not anti-pressing. What I am is anti-calling pressing restoration. And it has nothing to do with the money. If it were about the money for me I would have more books pressed for resale. In fact I have very few books pressed for resale. But that is beside the point. The point is that, as far as I'm concerned, applying pressure to a comic is not restoration. Flattening a comic is not restoration. Simple as that.

{WARNING - Tongue in cheek comment alert!}

I really wish you pro-disclosure people would get off the anti-callingpressingrestoration folk's backs with your crass generalizations!

What disturbs me, is that many of those who are pro pressing, argue about it not being restoration very vehemently.

Not everyone, but many people. The only reason I can see for that, is that pressing a book can bring more money.

Sharon, I am not pro-pressing. I am not anti-pressing. What I am is anti-calling pressing restoration. And it has nothing to do with the money. If it were about the money for me I would have more books pressed for resale. In fact I have very few books pressed for resale. But that is beside the point. The point is that, as far as I'm concerned, applying pressure to a comic is not restoration. Flattening a comic is not restoration. Simple as that.

I really wish you pro-disclosure people would get off the anti-callingpressingrestoration folk's backs with your crass generalizations!

And all the saints said, "Amen."

once you step back and look at everything in the grand scheme, the dislike of pressed books almost seems like it becomes an emotional decision rather than a logical one.
Wrong!

Just my 2c take on it.

:foryou:

Roy, usually your comments are intelligent and add value but in this case I think your comment is ridiculous. Sorry.

Comicdonna (Mike) made a passionate dismissal of pressed comics. He is the perfect example of what Roy is talking about. (And before anyone jumps on me for picking on Mike, I'm not. Please read...) Mike collects Action 1-100. He prefers them in mid grades, vg to vf. He may or may not wish to collect higher grades but economic considerations demand otherwise. Action 1-100 are expensive. So most of Mike's books are in the range of 6.0, and all are or will be CGC graded. If a book came along that Mike needed for his run that was beautiful but pressed from a 5.5 to 6.5 and was sold disclosed Mike has said he would not be interested in it. Is his dismissal of that book because of emotion or logic?

You described my focus pretty well, Richard. We have heard reasons for why some people dislike pressed books. I have also heard some reasons why people choose not to disclose. One of the reasons is, it's hard to keep track of which books were pressed. Another reason is, they don't feel it's important or necessary. Are these genuine reasons and are they logical?

I think one of my main issues with it is when they add water to the process. I do everything in my power to keep moisture from my books regardless of how little they use in the process. One time on here I got yipped at because I mentioned that we do our best to keep humidity and such out of our books by using dehumidifiers, mylars and acid free fullbacks and they argued that by what I stated that then this would be considered restoration.

I have always considered those three to be preservation. We do the same with other collectables. For example my Joe figures are packaged each in a bag which goes inside another bag with the weapons with a cardboard back (which are comic book backing boards I cut in 3) for the file cards and to support the figures and weapons. They are also kept in a dry place and out of sunlight. Only time water is used is when you clean them but note that on some figures you may damage them by removing paint apps. For example any figure with silver or gold sparkly paint or even simple decals and such. If I don't have to clean a figure I won't and if I did I would disclose everything that was done to the figure that I am aware of.

Now with Joes there is things we do. We switch out screws to get rid of the rusted ones, we change o-rings and even swap parts to upgrade them which are acceptable. Now what is not acceptable is repainting and touchups, undisclosed reproduction hoses and weapons. If you did this and did not disclose since there is ways to tell you would get reemed out in those communities. There is an acceptance when it comes to o-rings and screws but you should disclose not original but it is accepted and pretty much the norm and a person would not flip out most likely because screws are a pain to find to replace.

An other example is coins. With mine I put them into protective cardboard and plastic, put them in sheets and into a binder. Again kept in a dry spot and out of sunlight. Some people are a bit more finicky then me and have other ways of doing it like quadrums and such. This in my mind is preservation.

Now people clean their coins and such and in the community cleaning coins is very frowned upon in which in most cases you can tell if a coin has been cleaned or not. I personally don't like cleaned coins. I feel it is restoration.

Now the interesting thing with pressing is that if it is done properly you can't tell. This is why I believe disclosure should be done if it is known by the person that owns it and they are going to sell it. Some of us don't like it. I don't want to buy pressed books. I like collecting things in their natural state and depending on my interest in it in the best possible condition. In all the other hobbies that I deal with, when it pertains to any work being done on the item it is disclosed unless they are trying to pull the wool over your eyes!

I think one of my main issues with it is when they add water to the process. I do everything in my power to keep moisture from my books regardless of how little they use in the process. One time on here I got yipped at because I mentioned that we do our best to keep humidity and such out of our books by using dehumidifiers, mylars and acid free fullbacks and they argued that by what I stated that then this would be considered restoration.

I have always considered those three to be preservation. We do the same with other collectables. For example my Joe figures are packaged each in a bag which goes inside another bag with the weapons with a cardboard back (which are comic book backing boards I cut in 3) for the file cards and to support the figures and weapons. They are also kept in a dry place and out of sunlight. Only time water is used is when you clean them but note that on some figures you may damage them by removing paint apps. For example any figure with silver or gold sparkly paint or even simple decals and such. If I don't have to clean a figure I won't and if I did I would disclose everything that was done to the figure that I am aware of.

Now with Joes there is things we do. We switch out screws to get rid of the rusted ones, we change o-rings and even swap parts to upgrade them which are acceptable. Now what is not acceptable is repainting and touchups, undisclosed reproduction hoses and weapons. Also if you replace o-rings and screws you should disclose not original but it is accepted. If you did this and did not disclose since there is ways to tell you would get reemed out in those communities.

An other example is coins. With mine I put them into protective cardboard and plastic, put them in sheets and into a binder. Again kept in a dry spot and out of sunlight. Some people are a bit more finicky then me and have other ways of doing it like quadrums and such. This in my mind is preservation.

Now people clean their coins and such and in the community cleaning coins is very frowned upon in which in most cases you can tell if a coin has been cleaned or not. I personally don't like cleaned coins. I feel it is restoration.

Now the interesting thing with pressing is that if it is done properly you can't tell. This is why I believe disclosure should be done if it is known by the person that owns it and they are going to sell it. Some of us don't like it. I don't want to buy pressed books. I like collecting things in their natural state and depending on my interest in it in the best possible condition. In all the other hobbies that I deal with, when it pertains to any work being done on the item it is disclosed unless they are trying to pull the wool over your eyes!

I would suggest not buying any books from Georgia, Florida, South Texas, South Carolina, South and Central America or anywhere else that has relative humidity levels of 70% or greater. I would also ask if the books you are purchasing have ever sat in a warehouse for longer than 6 months.

The argument is almost laughable (and no, this is not an attack on you whisp) considering how much ambient moisture a book can be subjected to during the course of it's lifetime.

I would also add making sure you never mail your books in the heat of the summer, when it is raining or getting ready to rain. That leaves a 3 week window in the fall and another 2 week window in the spring.

The amount of humidity the books are subject to in the hydration chamber are no different than atmospheric conditions where I live in the summer.

Now with Joes there is things we do. We switch out screws to get rid of the rusted ones, we change o-rings and even swap parts to upgrade them which are acceptable. Now what is not acceptable is repainting and touchups, undisclosed reproduction hoses and weapons. Also if you replace o-rings and screws you should disclose not original but it is accepted. If you did this and did not disclose since there is ways to tell you would get reemed out in those communities.

I would suggest not buying any books from Georgia, Florida, South Texas, South Carolina, South and Central America or anywhere else that has relative humidity levels of 70% or greater. I would also ask if the books you are purchasing have ever sat in a warehouse for longer than 6 months.

The argument is almost laughable (and no, this is not an attack on you whisp) considering how much ambient moisture a book can be subjected to during the course of it's lifetime.

I would also add making sure you never mail your books in the heat of the summer, when it is raining or getting ready to rain. That leaves a 3 week window in the fall and another 2 week window in the spring.

The amount of humidity the books are subject to in the hydration chamber are no different than atmospheric conditions where I live in the summer.

Those are all great suggestions and exactly reflect my point. We do our best to not let it happen but it does happen and not sure if this would be a correct word but naturally.

The issue I have is that pressing is done on purpose so really should be disclosed in my mind since you are doing work on the book regardless if it is restoration or not.

Now keep in mind the word work. If you do work on any other items regardless of what it is in other hobbies that I know of out there that are collectible in nature and don't disclose you will be reemed out.

Those are all great suggestions and exactly reflect my point. We do our best to not let it happen but it does happen and not sure if this would be a correct word but naturally.

The issue I have is that pressing is done on purpose so really should be disclosed in my mind since you are doing work on the book regardless if it is restoration or not.

Now keep in mind the word work. If you do work on any other items regardless of what it is in other hobbies that I know of out there that are collectible in nature and don't disclose you will be reemed out.

But this thread is not about disclosure, is it. If I follow your logic I will get reemed out if a take a dog eared corner and bend it back over? That, believe it or not is more work than a proper pressing.

But this thread is not about disclosure, is it. If I follow your logic I will get reemed out if a take a dog eared corner and bend it back over? That, believe it or not is more work than a proper pressing.

It isn't? I see many people talking about their dislikes and likes about pressing. The topic of disclosure is one that is always in my mind on this topic along with water. Someone mentioned disclosure earlier in the thread as well. I was just giving my thoughts as reasonably as possible.

No you won't get reemed out for bending a corner back and really depending on the age of the book it may not even be feasible to do since it could rip off.

Also just bending a bent corner back in my mind is not more work. Bend it back, shove it back in bag and board. I think you forget I worked before with heat presses and you have to wait for it to warm up and do whatever and it actually would take more time (unless of course if you are doing many at a time but still there is still that setup time).

It isn't? I see many people talking about their dislikes and likes about pressing. The topic of disclosure is one that is always in my mind on this topic along with water. Someone mentioned disclosure earlier in the thread as well. I was just giving my thoughts as reasonably as possible.

No you won't get reemed out for bending a corner back and really depending on the age of the book it may not even be feasible to do since it could rip off.

Also just bending a bent corner back in my mind is not more work. Bend it back, shove it back in bag and board. I think you forget I worked before with heat presses and you have to wait for it to warm up and do whatever and it actually would take more time (unless of course if you are doing many at a time but still there is still that setup time.

I see you edited your last staement. Time is never equal to work. I can stare at something for days, does not mean any work is getting done.

Also just bending a bent corner back in my mind is not more work. Bend it back, shove it back in bag and board. I think you forget I worked before with heat presses and you have to wait for it to warm up and do whatever and it actually would take more time (unless of course if you are doing many at a time but still there is still that setup time.

I see you edited your last staement. Time is never equal to work. I can stare at something for days, does not mean any work is getting done.

Tell that to Donald Trump, Kevin O'Leary and people such as them.

To them time = money. Work doesn't necessarily equal money. And time doesn't necessarily = work.

Time is never equal to work. I can stare at something for days, does not mean any work is getting done.

Just depends on the kind of job you have. I get paid to stare off into space and look at a blank monitor until something interesting comes to mind. To the layman, it looks a lot like goofing off - but I assure you, serious work is being done.

To them time = money. Work doesn't necessarily equal money. And time doesn't necessarily = work.

What about if the employee are not doing their work in a timely fashion.

What about if the employee are not doing their work in a timely fashion.

What are they doing?

Wasting company time by surfing message boards.

Richard, you were included in the not all...and different viewpoints are welcome...I gave mine.

I know you and Jim, do disclose, so lol...

Get off my case;) :foryou::devil:

If I do decide to have it look better, I will only use Joey and one of the reasons is because not only does he disclose...he doesn't make fun of people

who want disclosure. Nor does he call people with other opinions, "emotional" ...a rather weak argument imho.

Bob, sorry if you think my logic is ridiculous.

Sha, it seems that I offended you and Bob and maybe some others with my use of the word emotional.

It wasn't my intention at all to do so.

I wasn't calling the people "emotional" as in overly emotional. We're all emotional. I was saying that the decision making process, the reasoning used to determine whether someone wants a pressed book or not seems to be emotional.

The reason I said that, is that if someone was worried about a book's history and state of preservation they would be more inclined to ask how the book was stored over it's life (did it spend time in a hot car, non climate-controlled storage, in a garage, in a Fed Ex truck over the weekend, etc) as all of these factors would much more greatly affect the life expectancy of a book in my opinion than a professionally done pressing job.

Like I said, it's just my own 2c or my own way of understanding the situation.

Not meant to be a rock throwing comment or anything like that.

:)

Roy, do my books LOOK like I'm worried about them (or your turkey sandwich) being in a hot car, or the whether someone took them with them to Hawaii?

I enjoy the history of the books, I've never minded amateur restoration...I guess my main problem with pressing and disclosure , is I want to protect the rights of those who DO care.

I don't invest in high grade books...I know I own a few, but trust me, it was more by accident than design. If I DID collect them, I might care.