• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pressing

361 posts in this topic

I understand what you are saying. If I had the opportunity to have one that was owned by an exterminator or one that wasn't, I would opt for the one that wasn't owned by an exterminator.

The chemicals they could be indirectly exposed to COULD have a harmful effect on paper.

I know the jury is still out on whether those could be harmful, but there is enough of an "if" factor for me to want to avoid those books. There's nothing wrong with exterminators owning books, it's just not for me.

You know, that's a perfect suggestion! I'll have to remember that...Right now, I only try and avoid books that have been smoked:)

Oh wait, an exterminator can get rid of silver fish... hm

Darn;)

hooked on the horns of a dilemma; i feel for you sha'---and happy holidays!!

I'd find the lyrics for Hooked on a Feeling, but I think I hated that song;)

Happy Holidays (((Billy))) :foryou:

More for us.

I personally would only want to have the All Star #3 in my collection.If I had the opportunity to have one that was pressed or one that wasn't I would opt for the unpressed.Nothing wrong with people who press their books,just not for me.

Oakman, how many slabbed books do you own? If you own any type of slabbed key or semi-key, there is a good chance you own a pressed book and don't know it.

I own 65 slabbed books,not many I know.Most of my books are raw.

65 is alot more than I own. Whenever I buy a slabbed book, I just assume it is pressed, especially if it is a key or semi-key or has a value above $500.00.

exactly. unless oakman slabbed his own original owner books, he's likely to have 65 pressed books.

That's ridiculous.

is there any chance that the mods could move the t'path post from 4th to 2nd? it just seems wrong to me that there could be an emergency pressing thread started, and he isn't the first responder. y'all changed the "jap" thread for the greater good, can't y'all right this wrong, as well?

Now I know why I have avoided pressing threads in the past. :P

It seems like even in this part of the forum, it's only a matter of time till someone starts with the snarky comments. :eyeroll:

For me, the excitement of collecting 'old things' is happening upon something, be it furniture, pottery, a comic book etc, that has maintained its great condition over a long period of time. That's something really cool and special and I collect that.

If something has been 'manipulated' in some way to appear as if it has maintained its great condition over a long period of time, when it really hasn't, that does not interest me.

You can call it pressing, restoration, conservation, Implants, Billy-Jo, or whatever you want. It's most certainly manipulation and that's ok! Just not in my collection.

This pretty much sums up a lot of my feelings about pressing too. The feeling of wonder and amazement that comics had survived the decades in such amazing condition quickly passed when I realised that they hadn't after all. The whole attraction of owning a high grade copy significantly diminished for me.

For me, the excitement of collecting 'old things' is happening upon something, be it furniture, pottery, a comic book etc, that has maintained its great condition over a long period of time. That's something really cool and special and I collect that.

If something has been 'manipulated' in some way to appear as if it has maintained its great condition over a long period of time, when it really hasn't, that does not interest me.

You can call it pressing, restoration, conservation, Implants, Billy-Jo, or whatever you want. It's most certainly manipulation and that's ok! Just not in my collection.

This pretty much sums up a lot of my feelings about pressing too. The feeling of wonder and amazement that comics had survived the decades in such amazing condition quickly passed when I realised that they hadn't after all. The whole attraction of owning a high grade copy significantly diminished for me.

Same here! (thumbs u

It seems like even in this part of the forum, it's only a matter of time till someone starts with the snarky comments. :eyeroll:

It seems to be one of those issues that causes problems between board members. Some people could care less, which is fine. Others do care, which is fine as well. Where the problem lies, many board members have friends on both sides. Things are said, and hard feeling arise. With all of the other "issues" in this hobby, pressing and everything that goes with it, (disclosure ect...) causes the most conflict between collectors.

Take 40 comics. Stack on top of a comic with non color breaking creases. Leave for 5 years.

Have you "restored" the comic at the bottom of the stack?

If you answer no, pressing is not restoration. If you answer yes, you're a d-bag who needs to get a life.

Put one hand under a stack of forty comics and the other hand in a proper press with some heat and moisture and compare the feeling. I know which one I'd rather risk my hand with.

I won't argue the pressing issue one way or another. But I dislike bad analogies. The last response attempts to put pressing in a worse light by asking whether you would rather your hand was pressed (assumption being this would be painful) or whether you would rather place your hand under 40 comics (assumed to be less painful).

But the analogy is incomplete, thus a prejudicial retort.

The proper analogy would be would you rather haver your hand pressed (presumably about a 1 minute process) or would you rather have your hand placed underneath 40 comics for 5 years. Then we see, that given a proper and fair analogy, the public answers are likely to shift in a completely different direction.

(Given such a choice... I'll go for short-term pain over 5 years of mild but relentless pressure probably leading to permanent nerve damage).

Perspective, people, perspective.

And no more cheating on your analogies!

Take 40 comics. Stack on top of a comic with non color breaking creases. Leave for 5 years.

If you answer no, pressing is not restoration. If you answer yes, you're a d-bag who needs to get a life.

Put one hand under a stack of forty comics and the other hand in a proper press with some heat and moisture and compare the feeling. I know which one I'd rather risk my hand with.

I won't argue the pressing issue one way or another. But I dislike bad analogies. The last response attempts to put pressing in a worse light by asking whether you would rather your hand was pressed (assumption being this would be painful) or whether you would rather place your hand under 40 comics (assumed to be less painful).

I don't believe that his anology was bad. Comparing a stack of comics to a book setting in a press with heat and moisture added is night and day.

But the analogy is incomplete, thus a prejudicial retort.

The proper analogy would be would you rather haver your hand pressed (presumably about a 1 minute process) or would you rather have your hand placed underneath 40 comics for 5 years. Then we see, that given a proper and fair analogy, the public answers are likely to shift in a completely different direction.

(Given such a choice... I'll go for short-term pain over 5 years of mild but relentless pressure probably leading to permanent nerve damage).

Perspective, people, perspective.

And no more cheating on your analogies!

OK, I'll give you that one. hm

I guess being called a d-bag who needed to get a life may have clouded my analogising. :cry:

I don't believe that his anology was bad. Comparing a stack of comics to a book setting in a press with heat and moisture added is night and day.

That was the kind of comparison that I was meaning but i guess that I did neglect to mention the five year thing in the post that I quoted. :tonofbricks:

That was the kind of comparison that I was meaning but i guess that I did neglect to mention the five year thing in the post that I quoted. :tonofbricks:

Shame on you. :baiting:

I am ashamed. :sorry:

I'm ashamed for posting in this thread. :sorry:

I'm ashamed for posting in this thread. :sorry:

I'm ashamed for using 9 layers of quotes. (And for not being able to locate the proper smilie)

Another of the many problems with the internets...one man's humor is another man's snark. Knowing Billy I can hear the post the way he would say it, hear the inflection in it, and hear the humor in it. Sure the words can be read as snarky, but I was giggling like a little kid. So give Billy back some of that British snark you guys are so famous for. Believe me, he will not only appreciate it, he will probably respect you for it (thumbs u

Another of the many problems with the internets...one man's humor is another man's snark. Knowing Billy I can hear the post the way he would say it, hear the inflection in it, and hear the humor in it. Sure the words can be read as snarky, but I was giggling like a little kid. So give Billy back some of that British snark you guys are so famous for. Believe me, he will not only appreciate it, he will probably respect you for it (thumbs u

For the record, it wasn't my intention to single Billy out.