• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pressing

361 posts in this topic

What disturbs me, is that many of those who are pro pressing, argue about it not being restoration very vehemently.

Not everyone, but many people. The only reason I can see for that, is that pressing a book can bring more money.

Sharon, I am not pro-pressing. I am not anti-pressing. What I am is anti-calling pressing restoration. And it has nothing to do with the money. If it were about the money for me I would have more books pressed for resale. In fact I have very few books pressed for resale. But that is beside the point. The point is that, as far as I'm concerned, applying pressure to a comic is not restoration. Flattening a comic is not restoration. Simple as that.

{WARNING - Tongue in cheek comment alert!}

I really wish you pro-disclosure people would get off the anti-callingpressingrestoration folk's backs with your crass generalizations!

Richard, you were included in the not all...and different viewpoints are welcome...I gave mine.

I know you and Jim, do disclose, so lol...

Get off my case;) :foryou::devil:

So which pro-vehementlyarguingpressingisn'trestoration folks are doing so because pressing can bring more money?

eBay search for CGC = 16k+ results,search for CGC+Pressed = 0

Maybe my search criteria is off, but what good is disclosure when no-one discloses pressed books when selling? I haven't seen any comics for sale that actually disclose that they have been pressed...so please tell me how do I find out the relevant past of a book???

If I do decide to have it look better, I will only use Joey and one of the reasons is because not only does he disclose...he doesn't make fun of people

who want disclosure. Nor does he call people with other opinions, "emotional" ...a rather weak argument imho.

Bob, sorry if you think my logic is ridiculous.

Sha, it seems that I offended you and Bob and maybe some others with my use of the word emotional.

It wasn't my intention at all to do so.

I wasn't calling the people "emotional" as in overly emotional. We're all emotional. I was saying that the decision making process, the reasoning used to determine whether someone wants a pressed book or not seems to be emotional.

The reason I said that, is that if someone was worried about a book's history and state of preservation they would be more inclined to ask how the book was stored over it's life (did it spend time in a hot car, non climate-controlled storage, in a garage, in a Fed Ex truck over the weekend, etc) as all of these factors would much more greatly affect the life expectancy of a book in my opinion than a professionally done pressing job.

Like I said, it's just my own 2c or my own way of understanding the situation.

Not meant to be a rock throwing comment or anything like that.

:)

Roy, do my books LOOK like I'm worried about them (or your turkey sandwich) being in a hot car, or the whether someone took them with them to Hawaii?

I enjoy the history of the books, I've never minded amateur restoration...I guess my main problem with pressing and disclosure , is I want to protect the rights of those who DO care.

I don't invest in high grade books...I know I own a few, but trust me, it was more by accident than design. If I DID collect them, I might care.

Another issue with this particular debate is that by saying you are only arguing in defense of those who DO care implies that you DON'T care. It also implies that those who are on the opposite side from you DON"T care. But we do care. Very much. I, too, am very much interested in the history of the books. I, too, do not mind amateur restoration (I do not consider pressing restoration of any kind). I, too, want to protect the rights of those who do care...by giving them some further information on the topic of pressing. They are free to make up their minds. If they don't want a pressed book, fine. But folks shouldn't justify their reasoning by categorizing that book as restored and therefore marginalized or stigmatized or defective.

I enjoy the history of the books, I've never minded amateur restoration...I guess my main problem with pressing and disclosure , is I want to protect the rights of those who DO care.

They have every right in the world to ask if a book has been pressed or not.

I don't like corn. It isn't life or death. I'm not allergic to it. I just don't like it... personal preference. So, when I go to a restaurant, I ask the server if the item I'm interested in contains corn. They answer my question with a yes or a no and then I chose whether or not I want to order that specific menu item. I do not expect the restaurant to disclose every item on the menu that may contain corn in advance of me being outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed

They have every right in the world to ask if a book has been pressed or not.

I don't like corn. It isn't life or death. I'm not allergic to it. I just don't like it... personal preference. So, when I go to a restaurant, I ask the server if the item I'm interested in contains corn. They answer my question with a yes or a no and then I chose whether or not I want to order that specific menu item. I do not expect the restaurant to disclose every item on the menu that may contain corn in advance of me being outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed

Does it mean that you don't eat grits?

If slapping a comic book in a tortilla press for a few hours can increase the value by 15% - I'm all for it. To me, an 8.0 is an 8.0, regardless of how it got/stayed that way. (Well, leaving aside restoration like color work, cleaning, etc)

If I do decide to have it look better, I will only use Joey and one of the reasons is because not only does he disclose...he doesn't make fun of people

who want disclosure. Nor does he call people with other opinions, "emotional" ...a rather weak argument imho.

Bob, sorry if you think my logic is ridiculous.

Sha, it seems that I offended you and Bob and maybe some others with my use of the word emotional.

It wasn't my intention at all to do so.

I wasn't calling the people "emotional" as in overly emotional. We're all emotional. I was saying that the decision making process, the reasoning used to determine whether someone wants a pressed book or not seems to be emotional.

The reason I said that, is that if someone was worried about a book's history and state of preservation they would be more inclined to ask how the book was stored over it's life (did it spend time in a hot car, non climate-controlled storage, in a garage, in a Fed Ex truck over the weekend, etc) as all of these factors would much more greatly affect the life expectancy of a book in my opinion than a professionally done pressing job.

Like I said, it's just my own 2c or my own way of understanding the situation.

Not meant to be a rock throwing comment or anything like that.

:)

Roy, do my books LOOK like I'm worried about them (or your turkey sandwich) being in a hot car, or the whether someone took them with them to Hawaii?

I don't invest in high grade books...I know I own a few, but trust me, it was more by accident than design. If I DID collect them, I might care.

Another issue with this particular debate is that by saying you are only arguing in defense of those who DO care implies that you DON'T care. It also implies that those who are on the opposite side from you DON"T care. But we do care. Very much. I, too, am very much interested in the history of the books. I, too, do not mind amateur restoration (I do not consider pressing restoration of any kind). I, too, want to protect the rights of those who do care...by giving them some further information on the topic of pressing. They are free to make up their minds. If they don't want a pressed book, fine. But folks shouldn't justify their reasoning by categorizing that book as restored and therefore marginalized or stigmatized or defective.

OK, you convinced me, I don't care if you call it restored.

I do care if someone presses a book and does not reveal it;)

Perhaps we need a new category. hm

How about calling it something really innovative...

I know... :rulez:

How about IRON CHALLENGED?

Seriously, no one even told me my books were not in neat stacks...or that they were not even, or I should not store them that way...

I did have a friend complain that it was a lousy "experiment" ...because pressing that book would not help...:(

[i know you and Jim, do disclose...

The one and only reason I disclose pressing is because I have friends to whom disclosure matters. Their friendship is important to me, so I do it out of respect for them.

I could be reading into this but would you not think that the respect you show your friends when it comes to disclosure should also be forwarded to people you don't know. edit: Will also add regardless if they ask or not or even know about pressing. /edit:

If everyone that pressed books did this I think this would not be as hot as a subject as it is today.

The one and only reason I disclose pressing is because I have friends to whom disclosure matters. Their friendship is important to me, so I do it out of respect for them.

I could be reading into this but would you not think that the respect you show your friends when it comes to disclosure should also be forwarded to people you don't know. edit: Will also add regardless if they ask or not or even know about pressing. /edit:

If everyone that pressed books did this I think this would not be as hot as a subject as it is today.

I believe what he is saying is that he DOES disclose to people that he doesn't know.

I believe what he is saying is that he DOES disclose to people that he doesn't know.

Well he used the word friend in there alot. If this is the case though that it's all people he dicloses to regardless if friend or not then that is great and it would be nice if all did so.

Like I mentioned before about other hobbies usually when someone is doing something it is disclosed and if you don't then there is usally some people saying something about it. I feel pressing falls into this category of needing disclosure.

eBay search for CGC = 16k+ results,search for CGC+Pressed = 0

Maybe my search criteria is off, but what good is disclosure when no-one discloses pressed books when selling? I haven't seen any comics for sale that actually disclose that they have been pressed...so please tell me how do I find out the relevant past of a book???

Every ebay sale I have mentions the books were pressed. I just don't have any books up for sale now.

I know it may sound like I'm nit-picking. But having collected for a long time, and having bought and sold comics for a long time I feel like I have seen quite a bit in the history and development of the hobby. I remember when I first became aware of page quality as criteria for collecting. I bought a book through the CBG that had been graded very fairly but the pages were starting to brittle. I knew then that for my collection I would prefer nice pages. I have since dealt with folks who are much more particular with the degree of paper quality they desire. I have also dealt with folks who are not particular at all, as long as the book is complete. Personal preference. I get both sides. I remember the first collector who said to me that under no circumstances did he want a book that had a date stamp. That was a personal preference. He just didn't like them. They looked ugly to him. Date stamps have never bothered me much, unless they are right in the middle of the cover. Same with store stamps. A boardie once gave me a hard time for passing on a high grade Crowley File book with a big stamp in the middle of the cover. It was my personal preference. I didn't like the way it looked. I now totally understand the guy with the aversion to date stamps. I don't necessarily agree, but I understand it. Cover mis-wraps are the same category. Some hate a slightly mis-wrapped book. Some don't mind at all. Personally they don't bother me terribly as long as there isn't too much of a white line showing on the spine. If they are mis-wrapped I much prefer them around to the back. But again, personal preference, and I understand each side. One of my biggest pet peeves is a high grade book with a faded cover. I hate a faded cover. One of the biggest reason that a comic book first caught my eye as a kid was the bright colors. One of the reasons I don't collect much comic book original art is because of the lack of color. But I have met many people who aren't particularly bothered by fading. Personal preference. I get it. I don't want it, but I get it. I guess the question now is whether or not a book has been pressed is a personal preference or something else.

I know it may sound like I'm nit-picking. But having collected for a long time, and having bought and sold comics for a long time I feel like I have seen quite a bit in the history and development of the hobby. I remember when I first became aware of page quality as criteria for collecting. I bought a book through the CBG that had been graded very fairly but the pages were starting to brittle. I knew then that for my collection I would prefer nice pages. I have since dealt with folks who are much more particular with the degree of paper quality they desire. I have also dealt with folks who are not particular at all, as long as the book is complete. Personal preference. I get both sides. I remember the first collector who said to me that under no circumstances did he want a book that had a date stamp. That was a personal preference. He just didn't like them. They looked ugly to him. Date stamps have never bothered me much, unless they are right in the middle of the cover. Same with store stamps. A boardie once gave me a hard time for passing on a high grade Crowley File book with a big stamp in the middle of the cover. It was my personal preference. I didn't like the way it looked. I now totally understand the guy with the aversion to date stamps. I don't necessarily agree, but I understand it. Cover mis-wraps are the same category. Some hate a slightly mis-wrapped book. Some don't mind at all. Personally they don't bother me terribly as long as there isn't too much of a white line showing on the spine. If they are mis-wrapped I much prefer them around to the back. But again, personal preference, and I understand each side. One of my biggest pet peeves is a high grade book with a faded cover. I hate a faded cover. One of the biggest reason that a comic book first caught my eye as a kid was the bright colors. One of the reasons I don't collect much comic book original art is because of the lack of color. But I have met many people who aren't particularly bothered by fading. Personal preference. I get it. I don't want it, but I get it. I guess the question now is whether or not a book has been pressed is a personal preference or something else.

In other words...live and let live.

Here is a weird scenario that I have always wondered if it has ever happened.

Lets say a person sells his book and someone buys it and then presses it and it comes back a higher grade and then the buyer puts it up for sale and the original seller buys it back at a way higher price (higher price then him sending it to a presser and getting it slabbed) not knowing it was his original book just pressed.

Also add what if the original seller doesn't know about pressing and was selling the book to make some money to look and buy an upgrade.

Wonder if that has ever happened due to people trying to upgrade their books.

Wonder what their thoughts would be on the matter that just transpired when they find out about it.

Lets say a person sells his book and someone buys it and then presses it and it comes back a higher grade and then the buyer puts it up for sale and the original seller buys it back at a way higher price (higher price then him sending it to a presser and getting it slabbed) not knowing it was his original book just pressed.

Probably.

I like date stamps. I don't like a name written on the cover. None of my books have a name written on them. These are things I can visually see. I don't like pressed books in my collection. This is not something I can notice from a scan. Or, even in hand for that matter. All I have is disclosure of the known history of the book to go by.

Probably.

Do you see anything unethical or wrong with this?

Personally I think I would be upset and feel ripped off.

Fortunately I know about pressing.