• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 5 GRAILS - THAT YOU OWN

1,214 posts in this topic

Mystery Men #3 is a real toughie. I wish I could find one! And that More Fun #65-one of the best GA covers, period. Hard to find, and always expensive, even in low grade.

The More Fun is a 4.5 off-white/white. I have also seen the loopy "L" on several books, but there is no note that this is from a pedigree collection of anything of note. I was very happy to acquire it. There was a 9.0 on Ebay shortly after this one came up, but it went for 9k I think.

They change all the time, but for now...

Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe CGC 9.9

Werewolf by Night 33 CGC 9.4

The Crow 1 + 2 CGC 9.4

11 Dif. Dawn/ Linsner CGC 9.8's

9 Dif. Dawn/Linsner CGC 9.6's

All mine are Raw...

My fav is this ASM 129 It may only be a 4 mostly because of the back frown.gif

but it's mine. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I found her at an estate sale between some of my other grails...

nkccJk0e5S-1.asm129c.jpg

The other's in that purchase... That I still have...

not that great shape (so Im counting it as one of the 5)

ASM 26 in a 3 ASM 101 in a 3

If u need chips... I got them thumbsup2.gif

Then my other grails

DD 48 just upgraded from a 3 to what dealer called a 7 I'll say a 6

And my Xmen 47 a 5.5

XMen 53 my favorite cover probably a 5

They not be the prettiest, but they are mine all mine!!!

Love the cartoon books that are keys or minor keys and that usually get overlooked by the average collector.

WDCS 22 Classic Flag Cover CGC 6.0

WDCS 88 First Gladstone Gander CGC 9.2

WDCS 140 CGC 9.0 First Barks Scrooge Cover, First app Gyro Gearloose

Four Color 52 CGC 9.0 2nd Bugs Bunny

Richie Rich Millions 31 CGC 9.4 First app The Onion.

On the look out for Looney Tunes 10 (Flag Cover), FC 33 (First Bugs), and WDCS 134 (First Beagle Boys) or Little Dot 6 (First Richie Rich cover) in high grade. All it takes is time and money.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-1/605515/wdcs22.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-1/605515/wdcs88.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-1/605515/wdcs140.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-1/605515/bugs1.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-1/605515/richmil31.jpg

Well I sold some good books but I figure I could get them back at any time. In their place I bought stuff that doesn't come around too often.

Marvel Mystery #4 - cover is chewed but what a great book - my personal favorite. hail.gif

Sub-Mariner #8, CGC 9.4 WP's cloud9.gif

Sub-Mariner Comics #33, CGC 7.0 - best cover of the 50's from Atlas/Timely. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Sub-Mariner Comics #34, CGC 8.5 WP's - highest in the census. acclaim.gif

Tales to Astonish #98, CGC 9.6 OW-WP's - super blue cover. grin.gif

I thought I'd update my list... I previously listed books that were the ones I was most excited to acquire at the time. This is my current list:

All of these are raw grades...

1. Weird Mysteries #5 in VG

2. Mask Comics #1 in VG+

3. Voodoo Annual #1 in VG-

4. Suspense Comics #8 in 2.0

5. Master Comics #27 (Lost Valley Pedigree) VF- / VF

614737-wm5_small.jpg

627462-IMGP1961.JPG

638944-IMGP1993.JPG

629062-IMGP1981.JPG

601920-master27.jpg

Mainly personal grails...

Vampirella 1977 HardCover

Vampirella #1 (Warren)

Brave and the Bold #28 (1st JLA)

Whiz Comics #21 (1st app LT Marvels)

Adventure Comics #300 (LSH begins as a regular feature)

I actually own so few of my grails that it's easier to list what I DON'T have and am still looking for (all in 9.4 or better):

1. Showcase #4

2. Showcase #22

3. Four Color #9

4. GI Combat (can't remember issue #, it's the first Haunted Tank)

5. Four Color #586 (not sure if I've got the number right, it's supposed to be the first Turok)

You guys have some awesome grails. Mine are very off-beat.

The Top 5 Grails THAT I OWN in order of preference:

1. The best known copy of Dennis the Menace #1 (currently CGC 7.0) from 1953.

2. Tie: Batman 121 CGC 8.0 / Batman 122 CGC 7.0. I love these issues...

3. Best known copy of super tough Marvel Li'l Kids #1 from 1970 (CGC 9.2). I single this title out cause it's been the toughest Marvel title for me to complete in decent grade. Anyone have any of these for sale in 9.0 or up??? It's so hard to find I didn't even know this title existed until last year, and I've been collecting since 1972.

4. Punisher Limited #1 CGC 9.8 White (I have the first 5 Punisher #1's in 9.8 white: limited, unlimited, war journal, war zone, 2099)

5. DC Super Spectacular #4 CGC 9.0. This, #6, Superman #252, and Batman #238 I have all in CGC 8.5 or above. All great copies that were indistinguisable except for a spine stress from the higher grades I sold off earlier.

My ULTIMATE grails are to have...

1) Every Dennis the Menace comic in 8.0 or better. I need a #1, 3, 4, 24, 67, 123 in 8.0 or better. If you have any of these, let me know.

2) Every Marvel comic ( excluding romance, war, western) from 1961 to the end of the 20 cent era in at least fine.

3) All Batman & Superman comics from 1960 to 1991 in 8.0 or better.

1) Every Dennis the Menace comic in 8.0 or better. I need a #1, 3, 4, 24, 67, 123 in 8.0 or better. If you have any of these, let me know.

Another Dennis the Menace fan! headbang.gif If that's all you need, you're doing fantastic! Those comics are non-existent in high grade. I've been looking for high grade issues of all those great travel issues from the late 50s and early 60s (Hollywood, Mexico, Washington DC, etc.) forever and have had zero luck.

Those travel issues constitute the medium's first "graphic novels" if I'm not mistaken. They are also the first comics I ever read and I think they more than stand the test of time. I own the Dennis the Menace Bethlehems which I purchased directly from Phillip Weiss a few years back. Apart from these and the file copies, which I know for a fact Geppi now owns, Dennis books don't exist in high grade. At some point if anyone's interested I can post scans of the Bethlehem Dennis books. If I find some high grade giants I'll let you know. I have a lot of doubles from over the years.

At some point if anyone's interested I can post scans of the Bethlehem Dennis books. If I find some high grade giants I'll let you know. I have a lot of doubles from over the years.

Please do (on both points)!