• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 5 GRAILS - THAT YOU OWN

1,214 posts in this topic

4. Punisher Limited #1 CGC 9.8 White (I have the first 5 Punisher #1's in 9.8 white: limited, unlimited, war journal, war zone, 2099) My ULTIMATE grails are to have...

1) Every Dennis the Menace comic in 8.0 or better. I need a #1, 3, 4, 24, 67, 123 in 8.0 or better. If you have any of these, let me know.

As to number 4... I have almost everything that came out in the early 90's that had Punisher in it... I got a nice run of war zone, I was going through a long box and came across 3 copies of the die cut #1 I love that cover..punisher, p in the nam,All the trades, and the earlier stuff. I lucked into the first appearance, (posted above) and a few of the earlier apperances... So.. thumbsup2.gif

Over Thanksgiving I talked my uncle into selling me a ton of Ritchie Richies from the 50's and 60's. He has a ton of Dennis, I will show him your want list at Christmas... He still doesnt believe me that people like U are out there...

Oh yeah - I'm out there all right!

I look forward to upgrading this run and if you help me out on this I will be very grateful.

I haven't even been on this forum 24 hours yet and am blown away by how awesome it is!

I am also looking to upgrade three of the giant / bonus magazine series: #23 (in Hollywood), #115 (Ting-a-ling Special), and #123 (Way Out Stories 1973). If anyone has these in strict 8.0 or better, no writing, no tanning, etc, I will pay three times guide. Yes, three times guide.

By the way, the reason Dennis books are so tough in high grade is that they are GOOD. Kids read them -- not just once. I suspect there were no leftovers in the warehouses as I have yet to find unread copies in dealer stocks or on ebay. All the great hoarders from Joe Koch, Gary Dolgoff (sp?), and Doug Supila have only low grade sporadic issues in their stock.

It's amazing how little attention this title gets, despite tv shows, the cartoons, the movies, the 50-year-plus newspaper syndication, the 48 book compilations, the 166-issue run of the main title, the 194-issue run of the giant / bonus series, and the high quality of the comic. The bottom line is the title is not really collected cause collectors like high grades for their comics. If there are no high grades, then what's a collector supposed to do?

1) Every Dennis the Menace comic in 8.0 or better. I need a #1, 3, 4, 24, 67, 123 in 8.0 or better. If you have any of these, let me know.

Another Dennis the Menace fan! headbang.gif If that's all you need, you're doing fantastic! Those comics are non-existent in high grade. I've been looking for high grade issues of all those great travel issues from the late 50s and early 60s (Hollywood, Mexico, Washington DC, etc.) forever and have had zero luck.

i'm not sure if it was a travel issue (but it seems to fill that niche), but i remember a story where Dennis visited Pearl Harbor and there was an interesting statement to the affect that "in the interest of national defense, we can't share the image of the USS Arizona that Dennis is viewing" (or somesuch). anyone remember this?!?!?

i hadn't thought about that book for forty years+ until i read this thread......it always seemed strange to me and obviously never left my head........ grin.gif

Another Dennis the Menace fan! headbang.gif If that's all you need, you're doing fantastic! Those comics are non-existent in high grade. I've been looking for high grade issues of all those great travel issues from the late 50s and early 60s (Hollywood, Mexico, Washington DC, etc.) forever and have had zero luck.

i'm not sure if it was a travel issue (but it seems to fill that niche), but i remember a story where Dennis visited Pearl Harbor and there was an interesting statement to the affect that "in the interest of national defense, we can't share the image of the USS Arizona that Dennis is viewing" (or somesuch). anyone remember this?!?!?

i hadn't thought about that book for forty years+ until i read this thread......it always seemed strange to me and obviously never left my head........ grin.gif

I believe one of the travel issues was to Hawaii. Times were different back then, I guess, although I can't figure out how a burned out hulk and monument would have any impact on national defense whatsoever.

Or maybe that was just the artist being lazy and not wanting to draw the picture. confused-smiley-013.gif

I believe one of the travel issues was to Hawaii. Times were different back then, I guess, although I can't figure out how a burned out hulk and monument would have any impact on national defense whatsoever.

Or maybe that was just the artist being lazy and not wanting to draw the picture. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm positive I have the book where Dennis "welcomes" Hawaii to the United States... I can look later and see if it has something about the USS Arizona. thumbsup2.gif

Burntboy, tth2, and MajorKaos,

Cool discussion!

It's not often I find people interested in discussing Dennis the Menace comics.

You all chose the issue correctly: The quote you are seeking appears on the second-to-last page of the "Pearl Harbor" chapter in DENNIS THE MENACE GIANT #6, DENNIS IN HAWAII. I am referencing the first of the many editions that would appear. The exact quote:

"For security reasons, we cannot publish drawings of everything Dennis saw in Pearl Harbor. We hope that some day you, too, can visit this great base of our Pacific Fleet."

This was published in summer 1958 and had subsequent printings well into the 1970s. I will try to see if that part is edited out in later printings. For the record, the Arizona IS shown in the comic. My guess is that air and naval strength was considered a matter of security at the time with WWII a recent memory and the Cold War in full swing.

I find it amazing that this comic is a 100-page squarebound with a continuous story divided into chapters. Is this a graphic novel? Are there earlier examples of comic stories this long?

I find it amazing that this comic is a 100-page squarebound with a continuous story divided into chapters. Is this a graphic novel? Are there earlier examples of comic stories this long?

I know some GA books were pretty thick, but don't know if any were 100 pages and none were all just one story as far as I know. The 100-pg Dennis's were great: great stories and excellent art (I don't know the artist's name from that period, but I loved his clean, tight lines). That's primarily the era of Dennis books that I'm interested in. The later issues were formulaic, not nearly as sophisticated and the art was more cartoony.

MY grails:

Chamber of Darkness #7 9.6 (Wrightson Monstrous work)

Star Spangled War Stories #105 9.2 (oldest HG dinosaur SSWS)

Strange Adventures #207 9.4 Northland (pedigree, adams, deadman...triple threat)

Spectre #4 9.6 (still remember reading it when I was a kid at corner grocery store)

Marvel Super-Heroes #18 9.4 (still own the one I traded my mattell skybuster for)

Ebay member with userid "Steal" actually just outbid me on what would have been MY #1 grail of all time superboy 132 cgc 9.4...congrats to "steal"

Voodoo Annual #1 is a 100 pager, but it's certainly not a graphic novel. How big are the EC annuals?

Page length certainly matters, but the idea is that it is one continuous story like the Dennis in Hawaii book is: First page is Dennis leaving for Hawaii and the last page is him going home, cover to cover, 100 pages.

I'm not sure what the exact pagination is in an EC annual, but from what I've seen in the past, they looked to be collections of different stories. They are a distant memory to me and I have never owned one, so I am not sure.

This topic may make a good new thread since this thread is really about something else...

EC annual, but from what I've seen in the past, they looked to be collections of different stories.

Yes, they are collections of different stories. Certainly not a novel in any sense. Tough to find nice and nice in their own right, but not a novel!

This list changes with my current collecting ferovr but right now its:

suspense 8 cole spider cover

air fighters classic ww2 bullet in the head cover

more fun 67 classic spectre cover and origin dr fate

Fantastic four 1 marvel age begins

great 3 classic hitler goes to hell

#6 will be a suspense 3 if I ever obtain one! classic KKK/bondage cover by Schomburg

My grails at the moment:

X-Men #4 CGC 9.4 ow/w

Thor #165 CGC 9.6 w

Avengers #21 CGC 9.6 w

X-Men #54 CGC 9.6 w

X-Men #58 CGC 9.4 ow Edenwald Collection

Honorable mentions:

Avengers #6 CGC 9.2 ow Diamond Run

Avengers #9 CGC 9.2 ow

Captain America #117 CGC 9.4 ow/w Pacific Coast

Iron Man #55 CGC 9.6 w

Tales of Suspense #52 CGC 9.0 ow

Tales of Suspense #57 CGC 9.0 ow/w

X-Men #49 CGC 9.4 ow

Police Comics #11 CGC 8.5

AF #15 CGC 4.5

Startling Comics #49 CGC 4.5

X-men #35 CGC 9.4

Fantastic Comics #2 CGC4.0

1.Batman 232 (at least an 8.5, maybe 9.2) signed by Julius Schwartz and Giordano

2.Batman 234 ( 7.5 or 8) also signed by Julius Schwartz and Giordano

3. Flash 123 ( 5.5 or 6)

4. Batman 155 (9.0 or 9.2)

5 Batman 181 CGC 7.0

Honorable mentions:

Green Lantern 40 6.0

Green Lantern Green Arrow 76 6.5 or 7

Showcase 60 7.5

Showcase 73 9.0

Brave and Bold 57 8.0