• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 5 GRAILS - THAT YOU OWN

1,214 posts in this topic

my top 5:

FF#1 cgc 5.0

TOS#39 cgc 5.5

JIM 83 cgc 6.0

TTA#27 cgc 5.0

Avengers 1 4.5 (raw)

I am all about mid-grade books as long as they look nice. I am a completionist with entire runs of Silver-age Spidey, TTA, TOS, Strange Tales, JIM, FF and Avengers. If it's around 6.0 it's fine with me because it looks nice with no writing, creases, tears etc. The cut-off for me is 4.0 or lower. Even a nice 4.0 still has something glaringly wrong with it. Most of my collection is in the 5.0-8.0 range.

JIM #89 in G+. Love the cover...#1 on my list. confused-smiley-013.gif

X men #1 in VF started the whole mutant thing

Avengers #4 VF/NM great cover

Daredevil #7 F+ Love the new costume (Damn i wish i didn't sell my 9.4!!)

Amazing Adventures #1 (1961) Fine signed by Kirby, the unfolding of the Marvel U.

sumo.gif

my top 5:

FF#1 cgc 5.0

TOS#39 cgc 5.5

JIM 83 cgc 6.0

TTA#27 cgc 5.0

Avengers 1 4.5 (raw)

I am all about mid-grade books as long as they look nice. I am a completionist with entire runs of Silver-age Spidey, TTA, TOS, Strange Tales, JIM, FF and Avengers. If it's around 6.0 it's fine with me because it looks nice with no writing, creases, tears etc. The cut-off for me is 4.0 or lower. Even a nice 4.0 still has something glaringly wrong with it. Most of my collection is in the 5.0-8.0 range.

That's one hell of a collection, very nice.

Great discussion...

Here are mine:

1. Amazing Spider-Man #1 CGC 8.0 ow

2. Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 6.0 c/ow

3. Tales of Suspense #39 CGC 8.5 ow

4. Daredevil #7 CGC 9.2 ow

5. Captain America Comics #26 - probably a solid 4.0 raw (my favorite cover of all time - I used to stare at the picture in the Price Guide Annual for hours when I was younger - bought it on eBay for a song in 2001 or so...)

tied with Fantastic Four #5 - probably a solid 1.5 raw (cover detached, but all still there - except for a small piece on the lower right corner of the cover - bought at a recent con for a very reasonable price - there's something about low grade keys - being able to read and enjoy them and also knowing that I can make some money reselling it in the future!)

Nice to go back over this thread. Since my original post, the only grail that I mentioned that I've purchased is BATMAN #5. Also, I've upgraded the WORLD'S FINEST #3 from the raggedy book pictured to a nice Fine copy.

Amazing Spider-Man #14 CGC 9.0

Avengers #1 CGC 8.5

Daredevil #1 CGC 8.0

Strange Tales #110 CGC 8.5

Tales of Suspense #38 (wish it was #39) CGC 9.6 (my oldest 9.6)

All of these were bought unslabbed many years ago and submitted by me to CGC.

Figured I would update mine from a year ago.

I still own all these issues, but my new list would be:

Avengers #1 CGC 8.5

X-Men #1 CGC 8.0

Tales of Suspense #39 CGC 8.0

FF #4 CGC 9.0

and still have to keep the TOS #38 CGC 9.6 on the list.

1.Batman 232 (at least an 8.5, maybe 9.2) signed by Julius Schwartz and Giordano

2.Batman 234 ( 7.5 or 8) also signed by Julius Schwartz and Giordano

3. Flash 123 ( 5.5 or 6)

4. Batman 155 (9.0 or 9.2)

5 Batman 181 CGC 7.0

Honorable mentions:

Green Lantern 40 6.0

Green Lantern Green Arrow 76 6.5 or 7

Showcase 60 7.5

Showcase 73 9.0

Brave and Bold 57 8.0

I have to add the following:

Batman 100 7.0

Batman 237 CGC 9.2 White pages

Batman 251 CGC 9.4 OW/W pages

Brave and Bold 28 CGC 4.5

Brave and Bold 30 5.5

Brave and Bold 34 CGC 8.0 Dallas Stephens Collection

Flash 106 CGC 7.0

Flash 108 7.5

Green Lantern 25 CGC 9.2

Green Lantern 28 CGC 9.0 Dallas Stephens Collection

Justice League of America 30 VF

Mystery in Space 75 8.5

Showcase 22 5.0

Showcase 34 4.5

1) Superman 146 CGC 9.2 (Tied for favorite Curt Swan cover)

2) Adventure 210 raw 4.0 ("Affordable copy of first appearance of Krypto)

3) Superman Annual 1 raw 6.5 (Tied for favorite Curt Swan cover)

4) Captain Marvel Jr. 37 CGC 9.4 (All-time favorite Mac Raboy cover)

5) Green Lantern 76 CGC 9.4 (All-time favorite Neal Adams cover)

1) Supersnipe V1#8 Raw VF/NM

2) TOS 39 Raw VF+

3) Planet 1 Raw, VF/NM restored

4) B & B 34 Raw, VF+

5) Army Navy #5 (with Supersnipe) CGC 8.0 Penn./Stephens Copy (2nd best)

6) Action #30 Raw VF/NM

Amazing Spider-Man #14 CGC 9.0

Avengers #1 CGC 8.5

Daredevil #1 CGC 8.0

Strange Tales #110 CGC 8.5

Tales of Suspense #38 (wish it was #39) CGC 9.6 (my oldest 9.6)

All of these were bought unslabbed many years ago and submitted by me to CGC.

Figured I would update mine from a year ago.

I still own all these issues, but my new list would be:

Avengers #1 CGC 8.5

X-Men #1 CGC 8.0

Tales of Suspense #39 CGC 8.0

FF #4 CGC 9.0

and still have to keep the TOS #38 CGC 9.6 on the list.

Steve those are some pretty smoking books you have, especially your TOS#39 and FF#4, two of my all-time favorites. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Steve those are some pretty smoking books you have, especially your TOS#39 and FF#4, two of my all-time favorites.

Thanks....

What's kinf of funny is that none of those books are from thee runs that I'm actively pursuing (Daredevil, Strange Tales and Tales to Astonish).

Basically focusing on my runs or keys at this moment.

What's kinf of funny is that none of those books are from thee runs that I'm actively pursuing (Daredevil, Strange Tales and Tales to Astonish).

Is there anything to pursue in DD? I mean, how are you not done yet? Even #7 can be found pretty readily, in lower grades.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there anything to pursue in DD? I mean, how are you not done yet? Even #7 can be found pretty readily, in lower grades.

[embarrassing lack of self control], [embarrassing lack of self control], [embarrassing lack of self control]

I'm working on the first 50 issues, preferably in CGC 9.0 or better. I will upgrade my #1 (which is a CGC 8.5) once I get the other ones.

I only need five more, and price is mostly the factor. But if anyone wants to sell me a nice #26 in CGC 9.2 or better, for a reasonable price, PM.

Plus I want a #18 in CGC 9.4, but the last copy that just sold on eBay (and dirt cheap) had the #52 written on the front cover. I actually ask the guy if there were any date stamps on the book and he said NO. Of course the bigger scan clearly showed it.

And don't get me start on issue #16 in CGC 9.4. Please, yes, it's got Spidey but that makes it a $1,800 book. Not in my mind.

So Tim your right, I could probably finish it off quickly, but I don't want to spend whatever it takes, I want to spend a fair price, but also want a nice copy. No date stamp like the Green River #11 CGC 9.4, and don't get me started on the CGC 9.4 #11 Northland copy and the two staples that almost pulled right through the cover, both on Heritage.

[embarrassing lack of self control], [embarrassing lack of self control], [embarrassing lack of self control]

27_laughing.gif Just giving you a hard time, Steve. I forgot the stick poking graemlin.