• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance of The Maxx
3 3

464 posts in this topic

he can be exhausting, but the intent is not evil/malicious. clearly he is a lawyer trapped inside a person working in a different profession. i've stopped getting into debates with him (wouldn't call them arguments). it's pointless (pretty much all debates here are pointless) and incredibly time consuming. i have other things to waste my time with like complaining about like my LCS not giving me a $2 break on a $30 purchase.

Edited by the blob

His posts are only as powerful as the person reading and responding makes them. A scream in a vacuum creates no sound. I have 3-4 people on ignore and their "cancer" has been eradicated, to use your analogy.

You and others and I will just have to agree to disagree. People can do things here that are wrong, regardless of whether the recipient reacts in any way or is even aware that the transgression has occurred. There was a long discussion/argument not too long ago about whether RMA or others were acting as bullies. Your argument was his. You can't be a bully if someone has the ability to ignore you or avoid you.

I don't agree.

His posts are only as powerful as the person reading and responding makes them. A scream in a vacuum creates no sound. I have 3-4 people on ignore and their "cancer" has been eradicated, to use your analogy.

You and others and I will just have to agree to disagree. People can do things here that are wrong, regardless of whether the recipient reacts in any way or is even aware that the transgression has occurred. There was a long discussion/argument not too long ago about whether RMA or others were acting as bullies. Your argument was his. You can't be a bully if someone has the ability to ignore you or avoid you.

I don't agree.

Ok, let's put it another way. How many long, protracted, utterly destructive arguments can he get into....by himself?

I don't agree.

Ok, let's put it another way. How many long, protracted, utterly destructive arguments can he get into....by himself?

So people should just put their fingers in their ears and let him continue without ever being challenged. That's the same BS that RMA used to say that people should never be challenged for racist or sexist posts here. Turning the other cheek is great until you get punched on the other side, too.

Well said indeed. I also don't understand the hate. The way some people here talk, RMA is akin to Hitler + Satan + Charlie Manson all rolled together into one evil ball. :screwy:

I'll continue to defend him against the grave dancers.

No offense guys, but this is a lot of bunk. I can't recall anyone comparing RMA to to those folks. The thing I hear over and over, and I've said over and over, is that he just can't help arguing with people. He never lets anything go. Eventually, he, and sometimes those he argues with, becomes nasty. He's not just fighting the good fight here. He's fighting every fight.

You guys may not see that, but plenty of others do. He devolves his arguments into personal attacks just as often as though on the other side. He is NOT persecuted. It just looks that way because he picks so many arguments with people.

Aside from Jeffro's admitted hyperbole, how many people on this site can't let anything go? 50? 100?

That would include you. And you can certainly say that it would include myself and Jeffro and a couple of others as we constantly pop up to defend RMA.

The nastiness and the personal attacks are 50/50 as far as blame. Most, if not all, arguments on this site devolve into "Oh yeah, you're a ". To me, that is a total no go as the attacks are not unprovoked.

Saying he is "not fighting the good fight here" is (and I say this with all due respect) totally arrogant. It bugs the snot out of me when you and other people claim to know what the good fight is or that you need to "protect" other boardies from RMA. Now you may not mean it that way but that is the perception that I get when you post things like that.

Written communication is very hard and it is very easy to be misunderstood. Probably 1/3 of my posts on here contain some form of "oops, I didn't mean it that way and I didn't think it would be taken that way". Sometimes I am just an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and to quote an anonymous boardie "pole vault over the line in a leopard print thong". I don't have 20 guys telling me I am an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. They just usually ignore and turn away slowly.

Fighting every fight? Now RMA is certainly not minding his own business and ten posters come in and throw their mess at him, but every fight? Is there not a large group of people that immensely dislike RMA and can't let anything go either? If there is any disagreement with RMA involved directly or indirectly on these boards, there is a pool of about 20 posters that invariably show up and say something. And yep, RMA will not let it go without saying something and we are off to the races.

Should he absolutely, positively just let some of the snide comments go and let them stand for what they are as snide comments? Well, yeah. Who amongst us can walk away every single time someone says something snide to them? Can you?

I never said he was persecuted. Neither has anyone else that I can remember. Saying he picks so many arguments with people is just not true. I am as guilty of hyperbole as anyone else around here.

I am not saying that RMA is the perfect poster. I am not saying that he doesn't deserve some of the criticisms directed at him. I am not saying that he does not argue and/or debate. I am certainly not saying that he exhales fairy dust and farts rose petals either. He is who he is and I consider him a friend and will defend him when I think he needs the defense. Just like you would and just like everyone here does for their friends.

I certainly don't do it blindly as I had RMA on ignore in the past so I am well aware of his "issues".

I am responding to you for the most part directly Mike because you are vocal and don't shy away from discussion. I won't be horribly offended if your reply consists of the words "off" and "fudge" in any combination. I won't be terribly offended if you don't reply either. I don't have the patience and reason of comix4fun and other posters, so I may start throwing my own mess at you after a while because I can and I may have run out of things to say. <--------- Joking. :)

I don't agree.

So people should just put their fingers in their ears and let him continue without ever being challenged. That's the same BS that RMA used to say that people should never be challenged for racist or sexist posts here. Turning the other cheek is great until you get punched on the other side, too.

I just have a hard time with people who perpetuate utterly pointless arguments about minutiae and then blame the party they are arguing with as if they were compelled by Jedi Mind Trick to participate.

As I have told people before "If you don't like fighting, I suggest you don't fight."

It's easy enough to say your piece and move on. I have argued with quite a few people here. I also know when my points are lost on people. I also know when an argument is pointless and I have entered to realm of diminishing (non-existent) returns.

There's no "winning" an argument on a message board just as there's no "winning" when you challenge someone on a message board.

It's a lot like Chazz Palminteri's comment to Colagero in "A Bronx Tale" when he's vexed by someone who owes him $20 that he can't collect on: " He's out of your life for $20, you got off cheap." You've got to know when you've gotten off cheap.

If you can make a clear logical statement in an argument here, you've done well for yourself. If you allow yourself to be drawn into a "circle of pain" death match then you're just as culpable as the person you are fighting with.

It's rather logical, no?

As a wise man once said, know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to put "X" on ignore. (shrug)

I don't agree.

I just have a hard time with people who perpetuate utterly pointless arguments about minutiae and then blame the party they are arguing with as if they were compelled by Jedi Mind Trick to participate.

As I have told people before "If you don't like fighting, I suggest you don't fight."

It's easy enough to say your piece and move on. I have argued with quite a few people here. I also know when my points are lost on people. I also know when an argument is pointless and I have entered to realm of diminishing (non-existent) returns.

There's no "winning" an argument on a message board just as there's no "winning" when you challenge someone on a message board.

It's a lot like Chazz Palminteri's comment to Colagero in "A Bronx Tale" when he's vexed by someone who owes him $20 that he can't collect on: " He's out of your life for $20, you got off cheap." You've got to know when you've gotten off cheap.

If you can make a clear logical statement in an argument here, you've done well for yourself. If you allow yourself to be drawn into a "circle of pain" death match then you're just as culpable as the person you are fighting with.

It's rather logical, no?

As a wise man once said, know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to put "X" on ignore. (shrug)

People aren't allowed to do and say whatever they want here. When one person crosses the line and you confront them, it's super weak to blame the person responding and absolving (most often) the guy who caused the dust up in the first place by claiming he should just be ignored.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5070926#Post5070926

Great post. Most of RMA's detractors are suffering from the same dogged determinism that RMA is chided for. They can't let him go. They are just as much like a dog with a bone as RMA himself is. The problem is that they can't see it, because they are too busy saying "Look at RMA, look at all the threads he is in causing trouble," rather than saying to themselves, "Why am I following this guy around and pointing out what a I think he is?"

It is almost always patently false. He is not causing trouble. He is zealously, vociferously and aggressively debating all of the points that he feels are worthy of his efforts. If you don't like it, go away. I did. Go find the last time I really engaged RMA. It was about the comics distribution system. I thought he was full of mess, but he kept on steaming along. Finally I gave up. He is still my friend, even though I think he was cuckoo for cocoa puffs for thinking that he knows exactly what may or may not have happened with pallets of Silver Surfer #4s circa 1969.

These are posts on an internet chat board and the haters get themselves wound so frickin tight about his posts and then they blame him. HUH???? The bottom line is that haters want him gone, and they follow him around to goad him into engaging all of them at once and making himself look like he is frothing at the mouth, because they want him gone. The real question is whether he will stop taking the bait before the haters get what they want.

I don't agree.

It's rather logical, no?

People aren't allowed to do and say whatever they want here. When one person crosses the line and you confront them, it's super weak to blame the person responding and absolving (most often) the guy who caused the dust up in the first place by claiming he should just be ignored.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5070926#Post5070926

Confront them....not lock into a mortal death grip where only one emerges alive and unbanned.

And, if you notice, I never said anything about absolving the person making the comment in the first place in my statement today. Did I?

I said that both deserve blame when the responding and confronting party goes beyond simply confrontation and refutation and decides to drop down into the argument from whence there is no return.

Additionally, I think the context of my comment referred specifically you getting additional time on your suspension for responding to racial or otherwise ignorant statements, not a simple disagreement absent a racial, ethnic, political bent, and certainly not a thread where the person is question is responding to comments made while they were unable to respond.

I can't help but think following this advice you would have avoided that strike and suspension, no matter how improper it was as a punishment was to begin with.

The bottom line is that haters want him gone, and they follow him around to goad him into engaging all of them at once and making himself look like he is frothing at the mouth, because they want him gone. The real question is whether he will stop taking the bait before the haters get what they want.
I don't see much following and goading in this last round of frothiness.

The bottom line is that haters want him gone, and they follow him around to goad him into engaging all of them at once and making himself look like he is frothing at the mouth, because they want him gone. The real question is whether he will stop taking the bait before the haters get what they want.

If you discount the following, goading, end zone spiking, endless discussion and baiting that occurred the entire time he was gone...then no there wasn't much at all. lol

Much of the reason he got a strike this time, along with Bosco, was deleted just before the punishments were handed down.

Nope, just Bosco calling him a "scummer."

Great post. Most of RMA's detractors are suffering from the same dogged determinism that RMA is chided for. They can't let him go. They are just as much like a dog with a bone as RMA himself is. The problem is that they can't see it, because they are too busy saying "Look at RMA, look at all the threads he is in causing trouble," rather than saying to themselves, "Why am I following this guy around and pointing out what a I think he is?"

It is almost always patently false. He is not causing trouble. He is zealously, vociferously and aggressively debating all of the points that he feels are worthy of his efforts. If you don't like it, go away. I did. Go find the last time I really engaged RMA. It was about the comics distribution system. I thought he was full of mess, but he kept on steaming along. Finally I gave up. He is still my friend, even though I think he was cuckoo for cocoa puffs for thinking that he knows exactly what may or may not have happened with pallets of Silver Surfer #4s circa 1969.

What thread was that? Sounds like a good read. :cloud9:

Now that's a pallet of comics I would not mind having.

These are posts on an internet chat board and the haters get themselves wound so frickin tight about his posts and then they blame him. HUH???? The bottom line is that haters want him gone, and they follow him around to goad him into engaging all of them at once and making himself look like he is frothing at the mouth, because they want him gone. The real question is whether he will stop taking the bait before the haters get what they want.

Really?

He's a petulant blowhard who get his jollies from "winning" internet arguments - either through outright bullying or by dissecting every single minute detail of any previous post and then following it up with a wall of text designed specifically to make other people leave in exasperated disgust.

He loves playing the victim, he revels in other peoples' dislike, and his constant need for attention, his self-aggrandizing posturing and tendency to carpet-bomb any thread within a 2 mile radius of the Copper forum makes these boards a shiittier place to be.

And, yeah, I have him on ignore - which, unfortunately, doesn't mean that I'm not subjected to his drive-by jabs & patronizing snarks in pretty much every thread of interest.

At what point is the burden not on me to "go away", but rather on him to start acting like a friggin' decent human being?

It was in the SA section and it was interesting and informative.

Of course, I think Fingh got naked and RMA killed seven baby seals either in deference to the au naturel Fire God or maybe to just make a point. I don't remember. :blush:

:whee:

Really?

He's a petulant blowhard who get his jollies from "winning" internet arguments - either through outright bullying or by dissecting every single minute detail of any previous post and then following it up with a wall of text designed specifically to make other people leave in exasperated disgust.

Man, if I had a dollar for every guy on this message board who loves to "win the internets" in every thread, or loves and lives to correct everyone else's least little mistake, or is unnecessarily strident, petty, suffers from delusions of forum grandeur I would be able to afford Chainnball's doubled signed MM #15. lol

It seems more of a prereq. to be a member of this board than it is an exception.

Really?

Man, if I had a dollar for every guy on this message board who loves to "win the internets" in every thread, or loves and lives to correct everyone else's least little mistake, or is unnecessarily strident, petty, suffers from delusions of forum grandeur I would be able to afford Chainnball's doubled signed MM #15. lol

It seems more of a prereq. to be a member of this board than it is an exception.

I'm not saying that every single board member is a saint, but if you had a dollar for every boardie who indulges in everything you post above, you've have $1 :thumbsup:

Really?

With all due respect, Larson-disparager, this is weak sauce. RMA, while not alone, is not your run of the mill, arguing type, Internet chat board guy. Those guys would be model T-800s. RMA is a T-1000. And he can quote me on that.