• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 comics in 2012 book club

991 posts in this topic

I like to try and read some comics everyday, preferably runs and not single issues, which is why I rarely read monthly titles as they come out.

I'm not much of a sleeper either so will read a lot at night, either with some music on or the TV flickering in the background in case something important happens in the world while I'm reading about the Hulk losing his shirt again.

0857 Batwoman 2

0858 X-Treme X-Men 5

0859 Age Of Apocalypse 7

0860 Age Of Apocalypse 8

0861 The Ravagers 3

0862 Incredible Hulk 612

0863 Incredible Hulk 613

0864 Incredible Hulk 614

0865 Incredible Hulk 615

0866 Incredible Hulk 616

0867 Incredible Hulk 617

0868 Incredible Hulk 618

0869 Incredible Hulk 619

0870 Incredible Hulk 620

0871 Incredible Hulk 621

0872 Incredible Hulk 622

0873 Incredible Hulk 623

0874 Incredible Hulk 624

0875 Incredible Hulk 625

0876 Incredible Hulk 626

0877 Incredible Hulk 627

0878 Incredible Hulk 628

0879 Incredible Hulk 629

0880 Avenging Spider-Man 2

0881 Avenging Spider-Man 3

0882 Avenging Spider-Man 4

0883 Avenging Spider-Man 5

0884 Idolized 0

0885 Idolized 1

0886 Idolized 2

Geez, where do you get the time? I invented this damn thread, and I will be failing for the 3rd straight year. :tonofbricks:

lol

I do most of my reading late at night, I try to read comics every day from midnight to around 1AM, sometimes 2 AM. Never been much of a sleeper.

That's where we are different. I need my beauty sleep. I'm out 2-3 nights either playing hockey or taking my daughter to karate.The weekend is the only time I have.

Powers V1 #4 - #10

X-men Messiah Complex 332 pages counts as 15 comics

Heavy Metal V1 #2 101 pages counts as 4 comics

Heavy Metal V1 #3 88 pages counts as 4 comics

Heavy Metal V1 #4 98 pages counts as 4 comics

Heavy Metal V1 #5 101 pages counts as 4 comics

38 comics added for a total of 2329 comics read in 2011

Supreme Power: #1-#18

The updated version of the Squadron Supreme, who of course are Marvel's version on the JLA. This is a fantastic set of comics and one of the first things I read when I got back into the hobby a few years ago. Reading it again it's lost none of its quality and impact - just a shame that the individual sequels weren't as good and their ultimate inclusion in the Ultimate Marvel Universe was very hit and miss. This would make a great film or TV series.

Total: 2330

race to the finish. i think you two should plan on tying as you're so far ahead of the rest of field you are both deserving of the gold medal.

lol

I'm getting a bit fatigued with comic book reading at the moment, I have a bunch of novels that remain unread, and also about 50 comic magazines (Alter Ego, CBM, Jack Kirby collector...) that are collecting dust as I'm reading comics all the time. So I'll probably end it at 2500 this year...if/when I reach it and then not read any more comics until 2013 rolls around.

2500 is a nice number to finish off the year methinks. :whee:

The wife asked me what I would like for Christmas so I said "Buy me some books about comics." So, 8 books from 7 different sellers on Amazon UK, some from the US some from the UK. The cheapest was 1 pence (!) the dearest £11. Let's see what arrives first.

1. "Marvel Comics: The Untold Story"

2. "Tales to Astonish: Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, and the American Comic Book Revolution"

3. "Marvel Comics In The 1960s: An Issue-By-Issue Field Guide To A Pop Culture Phenomenon"

4. "Marvel Comics In The 1970s: An Issue-By-Issue Field Guide To A Pop Culture Phenomenon"

5. "Stan Lee and the Rise and Fall of the American Comic Book"

6. "Men Of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters and the Birth of the Comic Book"

7. "Comic Wars: How Two Tycoons Battled Over the Marvel Comics Empire--And Both Lost"

8. "The Ten Cent Plague: The Great Comic Book Scare and How it Changed America"

All New X-Men 2

American Vampire 33

Aquaman 14

Batman Inc 5

Batman The Dark Knight 14

Bedlam 2

Chew 30

Fatale 10

I Vampire 14

Morning Glories 23

Nowhere Man 1

Planetoid 4

Thor God of Thor 2

Uncanny Avengers 2

Witch Doctor: Mal Practice 1

X-Men Legacy 2

Total - 1043

0887 World War Hulk 1

0888 Arrow 1

0889 I, Vampire 11

0890 Uncanny X-Men 126

0891 Uncanny X-Men 132

0892 Uncanny X-Men 137

0893 Uncanny X-Men 138

0894 Supergirl 11

0895 Supergirl 12

0896 Supergirl 13

0897 Grimm Fairy Tales: Myths and Legends 16

0898 Grimm Fairy Tales: Myths and Legends 17

0899 Grimm Fairy Tales: Myths and Legends 18

0900 Grimm Fairy Tales: Myths and Legends 19

0901 Grimm Fairy Tales: Myths and Legends 20

Another 99 books to go. Not sure if I'll make the 1000 with the holidays coming up...

Superior: #1-#7

Another attempt by Mark Millar to write a comic book that will eventually end up as a movie. A pretty decent read but you can see the twist coming a mile off.

Total: 2337

Winter Soldier #12 -countdown to Brubaker jettison (2)

Animal Man #14

Swamp Thing #14

Goon #43

Baltimore: The Play

Bedlam #1 hm

Mind the Gap #1-5 -intriguing (for now)

Fatale #6-10 -one of my favorite modern reads

Moonshadow #1-12

Farewell Moonshadow

All Star Superman #7-12 - a palette cleanser after Moonshadow; for my $, best Superman ever

First books of December

Aquaman #14

BPRD Hell on Earth #101

Bedlam #2

Before Watchmen - Silk SPectre #4

Before Watchmen - Ozymandias #4

Chew #30

Fear Agent #1 - #7

FF #01 (2012)

Lot 13 #2

Masks #1

Powers V1 #11 - #25

Punch Drunk #1

RIPD City of the Damned #1

Supurbia #1

Witch Doctor Malpractice #1

35 comics added for a total of 2364 read in 2012.

I really enjoyed Fear Agent in this batch. The title was pretty unknown to me but it was a pleasant surprise. Very enjoyable SCI-FI stories with great humor. Most of these kinds of comics deliver the SF with tongue firmly in cheek, but not here. The Sci-fi is done properly and seriously, it's the funny interaction between the protagonists and their general demeanor which nicely counterbalances the whole thing.

The Boys; #50-#72. Nearly two years of issues to catch up on and the book ends not with a bang but a whimper. A shame really as it initially started off as very good with Ennis' usual work of irrelevance, sex and violence proving to be very entertaining. Then it started to meander somewhat around #30 and then lost it's way before being dragged out far too long.

Total: 2359

November reading...

Far Arden by Kevin Cannon (400 pages)

Set to Sea by Drew Weing (144 pages)

Lower Regions by Alex Robinson (56 pages)

The Claws Come Out by Pat Lewis (152 pages)

I Killed Adolf Hitler by Jason (48 pages)

And I finally read A Death in the Family (272 pages) for the first time after watching Batman Under The Red Hood.

Avengers #31-#34: The resurrection of an Avenger – I don’t know whether to be happy or pissed off.

Avengers Academy #39: Quicksilver hates Downton Abbey.

AVX Consequences #5. Wolverine and Cyclops switch places.

Avenging Spider-Man #14: Great cover, poor insides.

Captain Marvel #1-#7: I really wanted to like this but the writing is uninspiring and the artwork is so haphazard it made my head hurt – plus having a knock-off female Howling Commandos in the 1940’s may have been an acceptable cliché but having them look like they’d just stepped out of the latest Vogue fashion shoot, with 21st century hairstyles and heaving bosoms, took silliness to a new level. Issue #7 is a slight improvement.

Daredevil End of Days #1 & #2: Intriguing – is this a What If story?

New Avengers #33 & #34. Excellent.

X-Men Season One: Pointless and uncannily unoriginal.

Dr Strange Season One: The original was better. Strange was better. I’m not sure who these updated tales are aimed at.

Fantastic Four #1. Mr Fantastic chances his arm and loses some of it. Intriguing.

Iron Man #1 & #2. IM versus AIM. Again. Then some boring jousting. Not an auspicious start.

Marvel Point One Now #001. Pointless.

All New X-Men #1 & #2. Cyclops is the new Magneto and mutants are going to fight other mutants and it’s the same old same old – only it isn’t. A twist that kept me intrigued and wanting to read more.

Thor God of Thunder #1 & #2. Thor meets the God Butcher and forgets his sausages. Unexpectedly, a decent read.

Deadpool #1 & #2. Only the third and fourth Deadpool comics I’ve ever read and each one has been progressively worse than the last. Just dire.

X-Men Legacy #1 & #2. Two really nice covers can’t negate a supremely terrible story.

Total: 2401