• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 comics in 2012 book club

991 posts in this topic

:

All-Star Western #0

Aquaman #0

BPRD Hell on Earth the return of the master #2

Batman incorporated #0

Batman the Dark Knight #0

Before Watchmen - Ozymandias #3

Marvel Contest of Champions #1 - #3

Dracula Lord of the Undead #1 - #3

Happy #1

Invincible #94 + #95

Savage Hawkman #0

Teen Titans #0

The Flash #0

The Fury of Firestorm #0

The Goon #42

The New Deadwardians #07

The Unwritten #41

Thanos The Final Threat One-shot (72 pages counts as 3 comics)

The True Story of 1900 (45 pages counts as 2 comics)

Ultimates #16

Winter Soldier #11

FURy MAX 1-6

35 comics added for a total of 1775 comics read in 2012

creeping up t the 1000 mark

0727 Harbinger 3

0728 Serenity Better Days 1

0729 Serenity Better Days 2

0730 Serenity Better Days 3

0731 Hero Worship 2

0732 Amazing Spider-Man 692

0733 Sheena, Queen of the Jungle 7

Some more marathon Marvel reading to play catch-up.

The Winter Soldier: #1-#8

Not as good as Brubaker’s other Captain America related stuff but still enough of an interest to keep my reading – Dr Doom, some super-apes, the Red Ghost, Russian Sleeper agents and the return of the ‘evil’ Black Widow.

Marvel Zombies Destroy: #1-#5. Please, no more of this nonsense – let it die.

Captain America & various friends: #628-637. Red white & Blue team-ups, including Hawkeye, Iron Man & Black Widow – a decent read, though there is more emphasis on the guest stars than on Cap himself.

Captain America: #10-#17. SHIELD, spies & traitors, numerous ex-girlfriends of Cap’s and, ahem, D-Man. This is Brubaker by the numbers, which is still better than most of what the distinguished competition put out – and he does include a 1970’s Madbomb along the way.

Daredevil: #11-#18 – Mark Waid & Chris Samnee have put together a well written and nice looking run of DD issues – including a Latverian doctor who injects nanobots into DD to steal away his special senses; Giant Man becomes Ant Man inside of DD to destroy those same doom delivered mini insects; somebody is tampering with DD’s past and, apparently, Thor has body odour. This book also has the best covers of any modern title.

Daredevil Annual #2012 – painful to read.

Fantastic Four: #605.1 - #610. Another great set of issues from Hickman – I just wish they wouldn’t chop and change artists on this book as it becomes very hit and miss regarding quality.

FF: #17- #22. Annihilus on the toilet and the Wizard gets kicked in the nuts by his child clone. Hickman gives us the fun side of the FF and I laughed more than once. But not at the Inhumans – they are as grumpy as ever.

Iron Man: #517- #525 – Tony Stark versus the Mandarin – and robots in love. They should get Matt Fraction to write the Iron Man film.

Hulk: #45 – #57. The notion of a Red Hulk was a terrible one, as written by Jeph Loeb the book was so bad it melted the pages of any comic within a five mile radius. Jeff Parker though has worked a miracle and turned it, and Red himself, into an interesting read – ghosts, vampires, Dr Strange, the Legion of Monsters, She Hulk, Alpha Flight & Machine Man: it’s like a 1980’s reunion.

Incredible Hulk: #1- #14. Banner vs Hulk, the daughter of Dr Doom, Dog-Men, the Punisher, stupid 70’s Ghost Rider villain The Orb in his greatest ever appearance, magical Atlanteans, Hulk and Red She Hulk sex, Russian bears in space, Kraven the Hunter, Wolverine & Ben Grimm – writer Jason Aaron could well be the reincarnation of Steve Gerber as this has been the funniest set of comics I’ve read in a long time.

Venom: #21-#25. Started off interesting but has now got a bit dull.

Total: 1716

Walking Dead: #72 - #102

So I had nearly 3 years of WD issues to catch up on and wondered before-hand whether I'd still enjoy it as much as I did - and yes, sort of, but reading all of those issues in one go made me realize just how repetitive the story is: the group kill zombies, somebody in the group wants to take over, people outside the group want to take over. Even the death of a major character in #100 was not that dramatic. This book needs new life.

Total: 1746

Some Ultimate Marvel catch-up:

Ultimate Spider-Man: #150-##160. Peter Parker dies, yes, really.

New Ultimates: #1-#5. Thor and Loki get it on.

Ultimate Avengers vs New Ultimates: #1-#6. More mindless fisticuffs and nonsense.

Ultimate Fallout: #1-#6. A good read and a nice bridge into the next range of Ultimate titles.

Ultimate Spider-Man (volume 3): #1-#15. Spider-Man is dead, long live the new Spider-Man. A great book so far and this is exactly what Marvel should have done with the original USM and make it completely different to ASM. Well, maybe not completely different as we still have plenty of teenage angst on show but everything else is new and interesting.

The Ultimates (volume 5): #1-#16. Another excellent read - Hickman's run of issues, coupled with his work on the FF, is more evidence that he's probably the best writer that Marvel currently has.

Total: 1806

#357 - 361 - PIGS #2-6 - I really recommend this title. Take the idea behind the movie "SALT" and make it much better! You have PIGS. I really couldn't put this title down.

#362 - Green Wake #8 - Strange, in a David Lynch kind of way.

Strange Girl (Image) 1-18 ....this was fantastic, one of the better series I've read this year. I was totally unfamiliar with this comic book when someone suggested it to me. It's basically an "after end-of-days" story, about what happens after the rapture to the humans deemed not fit to enter the pearly gates.

I's very funny, thought provoking and emotional. Plus the ending was just perfect.

Also read Essential Dazzler v1 (Dazzler 1-21 + Uncanny X-men 130-131) which was somewhat on a different level than the above :shy:

Anyway 41 comics added for a total of 1816 comics read in 2012

Strange Girl (Image) 1-18 ....this was fantastic, one of the better series I've read this year. I was totally unfamiliar with this comic book when someone suggested it to me. It's basically an "after end-of-days" story, about what happens after the rapture to the humans deemed not fit to enter the pearly gates.

I's very funny, thought provoking and emotional. Plus the ending was just perfect.

You had me at "after end-of-days"! I might have to track this one down, hopefully there's an Hardcover (or two) with the full 18 issues!

EDIT: There's an Omnibus with the whole damn thing! :whee:

Archer & Armstrong 3

Batgirl 13

Batman 13

Batman and Robin 13

Before Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan 2

Bloodshot 4

Captain America 18

Fantastic Four 611

Invincible Iron Man 526

Morning Glories 22

Scarlet Spider 10

Secret Service 4

Suicide Squad 13

Think Tank 3

Uncanny Avengers 1

Total - 943

Ultimate X: #1-#5. The sight that gives every comic book reader nightmares - Jeph Loeb's name on a book. His writing of dialogue is embarrassing.

Ultimate Hawkeye: #1-#4. Much better - more sterling work from Hickman.

Ultimate X-men (vol 2): #1-#16. Ultimate weakness - why bother if all they are going to do is regurgitate the same old mutant stories that Marvel have been putting out for the last 30 years. A major disappointment.

Total: 1831