• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action 5, CGC 9.4 blue on CLINK

276 posts in this topic

Check this out, the 8.5 was graded 08/03/2011 and the 9.4 a mere 3 months later on 10/19/2011 . What was the problem with the 8.5 that a press took it all the way to a 9.4 ? A non-color breaking fold ? This kind of news is bad for the hobby. A little manipulation to nudge a grade is understandable but this is disgusting. These type of incidents are happening too much lately.

Where have you been during the past decade or so?

This has been going on virtually non-stop with the advent of CGC. Remember the spreadsheet that one of the board members came up with that kept track of some of the upgraded resubs from CGC. There were a surprisingly large number of books that went from 8.5 up to 9.2 and/or 9.4. If you thought the mid-grades were safer, there were an equally large number of books that went from 6.5 up to 9.0. :screwy:

As you have said, totally disgusting...........but probably all part of the master plan from the start. hm

the recent 8.5 pressed (shrug)

My thoughts exactly. I had snagged the pic of the 8.5 and when you compare them they have many similar points that suggest that they are the same book. Look at the upper left corner, the top edge above the No. 5, and the lower spine corner. Then look at how the pages are now splayed a bit more in the 9.4. :eek:

Action05CGC85.jpg

Action05CGC94.jpg

Is it just me, or does the book look better as an 8.5 than the pressed 9.4?

Yet another example of CGC simply losing it on their ability to grade properly of late, IMHO.

:tonofbricks:

Steve, I love ya brother, but that is just stupid. The book looks exactly the same. The label looks different, but the book looks exactly the same. Now you may have better eyes than I and can see some flaw on the 9.4 scan that isn't present on the 8.5 scan. But since it is the same book scanned a few months apart any visual difference would just be the scans themselves, not the book. Now I'm sure you are just making a comment on the idea of pressing in general and pressing this book in particular. But since no one has presented any hard proof that the book actually was pressed then the only thing anyone here is really commenting on is the label itself. It's now in a 9.4 holder. I guess that is real shame for those who don't want it to be in that holder. It is absolutely a bonus for those who do want it in that holder. But either way it is still a stunning comic book.

Book looked nicer than an 8.5 to begin with. I probably would have resubbed it too. It certainly isn't a 9.4 and looking at the scans, it looks like a straight resub. A press will usually cause the positioning of the cover to shift a little. Those two scans are EXACTLY the same. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. CGC will be going through some growing pains. Losing Steve, Mark, and West is a SIGNIFICANT disruption.

+1 (thumbs u +1 (thumbs u

Grading appears to be kind of all over the place as of late.

Most intelligent thing said about this copy IMHO ...Thanks jimjim12 !

Hi Franky :hi: You been outed!

98856.gif

the recent 8.5 pressed (shrug)

My thoughts exactly. I had snagged the pic of the 8.5 and when you compare them they have many similar points that suggest that they are the same book. Look at the upper left corner, the top edge above the No. 5, and the lower spine corner. Then look at how the pages are now splayed a bit more in the 9.4. :eek:

Action05CGC85.jpg

Action05CGC94.jpg

Is it just me, or does the book look better as an 8.5 than the pressed 9.4?

Yet another example of CGC simply losing it on their ability to grade properly of late, IMHO.

:tonofbricks:

Steve, I love ya brother, but that is just stupid. The book looks exactly the same. The label looks different, but the book looks exactly the same. Now you may have better eyes than I and can see some flaw on the 9.4 scan that isn't present on the 8.5 scan. But since it is the same book scanned a few months apart any visual difference would just be the scans themselves, not the book. Now I'm sure you are just making a comment on the idea of pressing in general and pressing this book in particular. But since no one has presented any hard proof that the book actually was pressed then the only thing anyone here is really commenting on is the label itself. It's now in a 9.4 holder. I guess that is real shame for those who don't want it to be in that holder. It is absolutely a bonus for those who do want it in that holder. But either way it is still a stunning comic book.

The cover has shifted more to the left, on an angle. That is not scan artifact.

Gorgeous book though for sure.

Book looked nicer than an 8.5 to begin with. I probably would have resubbed it too. It certainly isn't a 9.4 and looking at the scans, it looks like a straight resub. A press will usually cause the positioning of the cover to shift a little. Those two scans are EXACTLY the same. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. CGC will be going through some growing pains. Losing Steve, Mark, and West is a SIGNIFICANT disruption.

Mark will be back shortly. It was nice to see him out and about this year, and I got to spend some extensive time with him for the first time in many years. He seemed to be enjoying his long overdue, and well earned, rest.

They may not be the same book. If you zoom in and look at them closely, there are many differences.

One way to compare books is to look at solid areas of ink. The ink coverage in many cases will not be uniform. There are little spots ("hickeys") where ink does not adhere smoothly. The scans show spots in ink coverage that differ on the individual books. Again, you have to zoom in to see them.

The spots may be particles in the CGC case, but I doubt it.

Comparing ink coverage is sometimes more accurate than comparing trim defects, etc. The books were made by the thousands, and many will often share the same binding and trim defects. Although similar "hickeys" may appear on numbers of books, they change in size and number over a print run.

I'm not wild about press and flippers, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions on this. They may be the same book, but they may not be.

119920.jpg.7d74a2c558c9ac0cc15414e9400cb782.jpg

119921.jpg.7f30e4ee50eb49eb51069a0d76e6496d.jpg

has anyone check the cert# of the 8.5? because the book may have been cracked/pressed or not/resub with the old label an now it is no longer a number that will work if you check census.

I can't since I am not a member.

as far as those "dots", it could be just dusts on the scanner...I wouldn't look to long and hard on blowing up any scans. To me the cut is more telling and the cut to me looks identical.

has anyone check the cert# of the 8.5? because the book may have been cracked/pressed or not/resub with the old label an now it is no longer a number that will work if you check census.

as far as those "dots", it could be just dusts on the scanner...I wouldn't look to long and hard on blowing up any scans. To me the cut is more telling and the cut to me looks identical.

Both certs are still in the census, hence I was able to ascertain when they both were graded, ie 3 months apart.

Both certs are still in the census, hence I was able to ascertain when they both were graded, ie 3 months apart.

hm That's troubling, ...since it's obviously the same book, not because of the grade bump so much as the fact that the census now carries a book which no longer technically exists, at least in 8.5.

That could pose a problem long term in establishing accurate numbers of books in the census for any given issue, thus limiting it's value as a reference. (shrug)

That could pose a problem long term in establishing accurate numbers of books in the census for any given issue, thus limiting it's value as a reference. \(shrug\)

I believe that it got so bad in the coin world that one or more of the grading companies actually "cleared" their census and started over.

It may just be the scan, but if you really look back and forth like a thousand times there are some diffrences.

Differences in the scan maybe, not the book.

If you look very closely at the similarities, those elements which are minor defects not attributable to the scan (light reflections; color; contrast) or slab (marring), you'll still see several unique points of reference that are highly unlikely to be replicated on another copy.

Look closely for a minute brownish particle or stain in the sand dune (an upside down T shape located about 1/2 inch above the bottom staple and an inch from the spine), several very faint spots (bottom edge center) and replicated highlights along the top edge. Each of these tell-tale blemishes are on both books in exactly the same location.

I'd wager that it's the same book, ...and win. (thumbs u

It might be the same book. But remember, comics were mass produced. Many hundreds in a run will have the same trim - defects and all.

Here is an enlargement of the prices of each book. The 9.4 has a hole in the black ink on the inside left edge of the box around the price - the red shows through there. The 8.5 does not have the hole. The scan of the 8.5 has a lot of image compression, so it may not be accurate, but it appears to have a solid black line on that edge of the box.

They may be the same book, but they may not.

119927.jpg.ab256e61d9a50ec363e3cc9118b9faa6.jpg