• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So is being undermined via PM on a "done deal" here a common thing?

196 posts in this topic

Yes... there are some buyers here who do not post public :takeit: but instead buy via PM.

Yes, I'm talking about greggy.

I only do it to make offers. I pretty well never use PMs just for a regular purchase.

I forgive you for your error.

xoxo

greggy

I've had situations where I was first in line expressing a commitment to take the item, and the seller refused because he was looking for a U.S. buyer (even though there was no US only condition specified in the listing). It sucked when it all went down, but ultimately it's best handled by moving on. 2c

Some sellers accept first :takeit: via PM or post in thread, timestamp determines first buyer. When this happens quite often the thread is not updated immediately to reflect a sale. This may have been the case of what happened with the book you are talking about, as I can attest to, it happens quite a bit..
That happened to me when I was selling something and I think the guy who posted first in the thread was a little upset that it had been snagged via PM first, so now I always ask that the buyer post in the thread when I accept an offer via PM. Usually nobody wants my 50 cent drek though :cry:

Yes... there are some buyers here who do not post public :takeit: but instead buy via PM.

Yes, I'm talking about greggy.

I only do it to make offers. I pretty well never use PMs just for a regular purchase.

I forgive you for your error.

xoxo

greggy

:facepalm:

I quit shipping to Canada and overseas unless the person involved is a personal friend or I have had successful transactions with them in the past. Too much of a pain in the arse.
Screw Canadians and all foreigners.

I quit shipping to Canada and overseas unless the person involved is a personal friend or I have had successful transactions with them in the past. Too much of a pain in the arse.

It's okay for you to say that. You couldn't be less popular.

:boo:

Let me see... Checking once... Checking twice... Nope, you aren't on the list of personal friends or successful transactions.

While I don't consider myself a n00b here anymore, perhaps some more senior members of the boards can enlighten me as to whether they've experienced regularly (as a buyer or as a seller) an attempt by a fellow boardie to undermine via PM a transaction they've conducted/concluded here in a public thread.

I would think this is poor form and generally frowned upon, but maybe it happens more regularly than I thought...?

The context: seller X posts in a thread a book at a great price that I'd love to have, but unfortunately I'm too slow to post the :takeit: gremlin and someone else snags it. I compliment buyer Y on the great buy via PM and mention in all seriousness that if ever he wants to turn the book around to me at a profit, I'd be willing to make him an offer, no problem. Buyer Y thanks me for my interest but laments that after he claimed the book with his own "Take It", the seller told him via PM that the book was no longer available (all this within about 90 minutes of it being originally posted), leaving both the would-be buyer and myself with the unshakeable impression that someone had PM'd the seller an offer superior to his listing price on the book and he opted to "go private" with the sale to make some extra $$$.

I guess at the end of the day the seller is entitled to get the most he can for his book, and an aggressive buyer can go the PM route to usurp a potential "done deal" in a thread, but the whole thing kind of stinks, in my view (and I'm sure it's even more aggravating for the original would-be buyer!). Naturally it would be naive to assume these types of things don't happen, but I'm curious about the frequency of it.

Interested on your thoughts on the etiquette and appropriateness of the whole thing.

You state that ultimately a seller can get the most for his book and ignore the :takeit: but it is certainly unethical both on the part of the seller and the

highest bidder.

I've seen instances where the seller claimed he couldn't find the book or had

mistakenly listed a book he no longer owned but in general I find it hard to believe.

Let me see... Checking once... Checking twice... Nope, you aren't on the list of personal friends or successful transactions.

He's very demanding anyway. He wants to get his books within a 6 month time frame.

I've had situations where I was first in line expressing a commitment to take the item, and the seller refused because he was looking for a U.S. buyer (even though there was no US only condition specified in the listing). It sucked when it all went down, but ultimately it's best handled by moving on. 2c

I'm willing to ship to Canada :foryou:

:blush:

He's very demanding anyway. He wants to get his books within a 6 month time frame.

I've seen instances where the seller claimed he couldn't find the book or had mistakenly listed a book he no longer owned but in general I find it hard to believe.

I sold the same book to two different people at the same time. I didn't notice until I had already mailed it to the buyer who paid the book off first. I apologized to the second buyer and refunded his money in full. Like I said before, mess happens.

I've seen instances where the seller claimed he couldn't find the book or had mistakenly listed a book he no longer owned but in general I find it hard to believe.

I sold the same book to two different people at the same time. I didn't notice until I had already mailed it to the buyer who paid the book off first. I apologized to the second buyer and refunded his money in full. Like I said before, mess happens.

:cry: