• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An LCS opened by me

22 posts in this topic

It's next door to my sisters work. She told me about it the other day so today after work I went in. It has only been opened a couple days and the back issue stock is not in the store yet. The size of the place is small but bigger than I expected for that little office complex that mostly has mortgage lenders, a driving school, and a military recruitment office. Nice looking shelves for the current comics, but not a huge area. I don't expect this guy to be able to stock much outside the big sellers. He says he has a personal collection of 40,000 comics from the Silver Age to now that he plans on selling through the store. No way can he fit it all in there at once, it will be a rotating stock. The guy seemed nice, we talked a while. His brother and I have the same career so that was cool. I tried to sell him nine longboxes worth of junk but he wasn't buying lol Maybe next time. I think the best part is the owner is an actual comic fan, been a while since I have been in a shop owned by one of those.

He says 10% off with a pull list. I get a larger discount than that with Heavyink but I am considering putting it in with this guy. I'll wait a few months and see if the location lasts for him. I'll definitely buy my supplies here from now on. I didn't take pics, the place isn't put together yet. Maybe when he's got it ready I'll take some :)

Thats excellent for you !! You will be in prime "first pick" territory of the guys 40,000 collection. Let me know if he has any nice Plastic Mans :grin:

Sweet! Nothing like a new LCS opening up around the corner from you.

And RARE I might add...I hope they have a solid business plan!

The guy is a semi retired HR consultant that said he expects to spend about 20 hours a week doing HR work from the comic book store. I think he's doing it mostly to liquidate the comic collection (which I wish him the best of luck doing, but we'll see) and meet comic collectors and spend his day in an environment he enjoys. I imagine unless he has absolutely terrible sales he'll stick around for it.

Thats excellent for you !! You will be in prime "first pick" territory of the guys 40,000 collection. Let me know if he has any nice Plastic Mans :grin:
The space is limited. He said his plan is to stock the place with recent comics from the past decade and get a list of his SA stuff to hand out to serious collectors. I'll be sure to get a list for you guys, although I'm more interested in his Bronze and Copper selection ;)

We have a new one here that opened a few months back, called Epic Loot, games & comics. Haven't been in there yet, was going to go inside a week or so ago but there was 5 or 6 guys hanging outside the front door blocking it, smoking cigs. Kind of a turn off.

We have a new one here that opened a few months back, called Epic Loot, games & comics. Haven't been in there yet, was going to go inside a week or so ago but there was 5 or 6 guys hanging outside the front door blocking it, smoking cigs. Kind of a turn off.

All those damn goofy gamers. I had the same experience when I was going to check out the store. I heard though they are more focused on MTG cards than comics though so we probably didn't miss out on anything.

Sweet! Nothing like a new LCS opening up around the corner from you.

And RARE I might add...I hope they have a solid business plan!

The guy is a semi retired HR consultant that said he expects to spend about 20 hours a week doing HR work from the comic book store. I think he's doing it mostly to liquidate the comic collection (which I wish him the best of luck doing, but we'll see) and meet comic collectors and spend his day in an environment he enjoys. I imagine unless he has absolutely terrible sales he'll stick around for it.

I think this is the only way new comic shops will open up in this economy. You wont get loan approval for it I wouldnt think its hard enough just to get a house loan currently. He can get a great value on his SA collection this way even more then selling on ebay if he is willing to hold out for his price or even if he isnt he can give deals based of OSPG. I wish him best of luck.

All those damn goofy gamers. I had the same experience when I was going to check out the store. I heard though they are more focused on MTG cards than comics though so we probably didn't miss out on anything.

good to know, thanks. The one further north past 675 stopped selling comics all together, sold out to someone. Only does card gaming/sports cards now.

Now i just drive the 25 minutes north to the Bookery in fairbon once a week.