• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action #1 listed on C-link

331 posts in this topic

I have no problem with restored books. As has been said over and over, if the masses knew the difference between a mod, minor or heavily restored book there would be a greater confidance in buying them and the prices would not be so much lower. I see this sale as a needed fire sale. The guy needs the cash quickly and can't wait for the hype of a future auction. I don't think you need to hold restored books for long periods of time you just need to buy the right books at the right price. It is hard to pay a record price for any book restored or otherwise and then turn it over in a short period of time and not lose money that is just a fact. I am sure we have all gotten books at low prices and all lost some cash on some books we have sold. For most of the community losing 100 on a 1000 purchase is probably just like this guy losing 10K on a 150K purchase it just depends on the life you lead and how much you can afford.

I do agree that if the buyer needs to sell it then they likely could not afford it and should not have purchased it. Then again I see people put comics on credit cards all the time so that isn't anything new this was just done on a larger level and hence was noticed.

James G

I have no problem with restored books. As has been said over and over, if the masses knew the difference between a mod, minor or heavily restored book there would be a greater confidance in buying them and the prices would not be so much lower. I see this sale as a needed fire sale. The guy needs the cash quickly and can't wait for the hype of a future auction. I don't think you need to hold restored books for long periods of time you just need to buy the right books at the right price. It is hard to pay a record price for any book restored or otherwise and then turn it over in a short period of time and not lose money that is just a fact. I am sure we have all gotten books at low prices and all lost some cash on some books we have sold. For most of the community losing 100 on a 1000 purchase is probably just like this guy losing 10K on a 150K purchase it just depends on the life you lead and how much you can afford.

I do agree that if the buyer needs to sell it then they likely could not afford it and should not have purchased it. Then again I see people put comics on credit cards all the time so that isn't anything new this was just done on a larger level and hence was noticed.

James G

Very well said indeed!

Jgallo, I have to disagree, losing 10,000,00 hurts whether you are rich or poor, you cannot equate it to 100/1k purchase. You can do some damage with 10,000.00 even in todays market.

I feel sorry for this guy and his loss, which amount is yet to be determined but I hightly doubt anybody would pay 160K for a restored comic book, so you know he is hopping for 150K and if the auction house lowers his commision to 10% he is out $15,000.00 all because he was too cheap to go unrestored and a lower grade.

Jgallo, I have to disagree, losing 10,000,00 hurts whether you are rich or poor, you cannot equate it to 100/1k purchase. You can do some damage with 10,000.00 even in todays market.

I feel sorry for this guy and his loss, which amount is yet to be determined but I hightly doubt anybody would pay 160K for a restored comic book, so you know he is hopping for 150K and if the auction house lowers his commision to 10% he is out $15,000.00 all because he was too cheap to go unrestored and a lower grade.

Again and always -- you say it's all about the book not being in the categories that you are selling.

There are numerous examples of guys buying top of census books or your supposedly infallible CGC blue (even if the label says color touch or glue, it's blue, blue, blue!) at top prices and then having to sell those precious infallible glorious HG blues at a loss or even a big loss because they had to sell quickly

That HG Marvel comics 12 -- which, according to you, would have been a savvy buy at 100K and therefore worth more, according to you, than the restored action 1 at issue here -- would have meant a big bath for the buyer if they'd manned up and paid for it's glorious high grade unrestored bluey blueness and then had to sell it a few months later,

When -- oh, when -- will you be able to say something good about one of your books (or one like your books) without saying anything else is "not for investment"?

To the rest of you -- sorry for indulging in a moment of pique here. But, for all I know and for all that MM knows, there were several people willing to pay 150 for that book and who might be willing to do so again, and there might be people in the meantime who would also be willing to do so. And for all we know the money is needed for some relative's operation or child's tuition, or some other, any other, purpose, and yet here is MM willflully trying to impact the sale in a negative way.

I have had well nigh enough of it.

I think that the seller should have set it in an upcoming aiyion or just started the asking price at a higher asking price ie.180k

It really looks that he is pressed to sell.

I would be interested myself but not in the cards for now.

150k is a great price for the holy grail in 8.0 mod!

I think that the seller should have set it in an upcoming aiyion or just started the asking price at a higher asking price ie.180k

150k is a great price fpr the holy grail!

price seems reasonable to me (shrug)

This book represents a needed "elevator" for C-link in their struggle not to be bulldozed by C-conect and HA in the competition to cater for the A+ GA segment. Was I the consignor I'd meditate upon the POS to ask Josh to list this book without C-link charging any fee. Its such a tremendous "magnet" such a book that perhaps it would be attractive for C-link to be "the" auction house listing it ahead of the others?

Again and always -- you say it's all about the book not being in the categories that you are selling.

There are numerous examples of guys buying top of census books or your supposedly infallible CGC blue (even if the label says color touch or glue, it's blue, blue, blue!) at top prices and then having to sell those precious infallible glorious HG blues at a loss or even a big loss because they had to sell quickly

That HG Marvel comics 12 -- which, according to you, would have been a savvy buy at 100K and therefore worth more, according to you, than the restored action 1 at issue here -- would have meant a big bath for the buyer if they'd manned up and paid for it's glorious high grade unrestored bluey blueness and then had to sell it a few months later,

When -- oh, when -- will you be able to say something good about one of your books (or one like your books) without saying anything else is "not for investment"?

To the rest of you -- sorry for indulging in a moment of pique here. But, for all I know and for all that MM knows, there were several people willing to pay 150 for that book and who might be willing to do so again, and there might be people in the meantime who would also be willing to do so. And for all we know the money is needed for some relative's operation or child's tuition, or some other, any other, purpose, and yet here is MM willflully trying to impact the sale in a negative way.

I have had well nigh enough of it.

Me thought it was part of Action #1 mythology that once you own it, you never ... never walk away with a loss on it. But alas, times are a changing. :facepalm:

150k is a great price fpr the holy grail!

price seems reasonable to me (shrug)

Hard to disagree with Gator here, in lieu of the recent million $ Supes-Bats sales (shrug)

Your misguided commentary is just down right insulting. You must be dense, arrogant or a combination of both. Either way you belong in Comics General.

Your misguided commentary is just down right insulting. You must be dense, arrogant or a combination of both. Either way you belong in Comics General.

Mehdy is telling us why the guy got into trouble with his Action #1 purchase:

"he was too cheap to go blue label".

Now thats not a very clever statement. :whistle:

Mehdy is telling us why the guy got into trouble with his Action #1 purchase:

"he was too cheap to go blue label".

Now thats not a very clever statement. :whistle:

I will be sure to pass this info along to the owner.

A cgc 4.5 ext pro resto sold for 71,008$ in sept 2009.

A cgc 1.5 moderate amateur with 17 pieces of tape on the inside cover sold for 63k on comicconnect a year ago.

So it seems safe to say that 150k is a very interesting price for an 8.0 mod pro with no married pages nor trimming.

This might actually be an excellebt buy opportunity for soneone who wants to invest in one.

Since a complete 1.8 would might be the only unrestored ib the 150k range.