• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of the Best Sketch Awards Mega / Discussion Thread

438 posts in this topic

Hector, I am not trying to be "cocky" and I am not calling names.....that is not very nice.

I was just trying to discuss an idea that I thought was a good one.

I guess it only sounds good to me. lol

I was actually wondering the same thing a while back but didn't think to post it.

I have a few characters that I prefer to get multiple sketches of and have added some sweet books since we started Best of the Best. I'm not going to challenge myself but when I get challenged I was wondering if it would be better to throw in then. I decided it would be better to wait to see if I was unseated.

RE: decided to wait to see if you are unseated---

Yeah but then you have to wait 30 days. Now that I have the title I want to defend it by any means necessary. My sigline would feel naked without it!

My sigline would feel naked without it!

My sigline would be so damn pissed off without it, that would always want to get a re-match to punch the other sig lines in the jaw.....yes, I have no idea where I was going with that...

watch out or I will start collecting Jean Grey ;)

hm now we can't go having that lol Obviously this is a heated topic that requires a rule change vote :)

As such I'm putting forth the following addendum to be voted on by the community as a whole. If approved, said addendum will become rule 7.3.

Addendum: In the event of a challenge, and the current title holder feels he has a better sketch which complies with all preceding rules, he may enter that sketch into a playoff against the challenger. The winner of the playoff, will then take on the reigning champ. So in this extremely and unlikely case, two sketches from the same owner may be facing off for the title.

Poll ends 12/12/12 @ 12PM Central

In the above scenario, can the current champion vacate the title? Otherwise, he risks splitting votes between his sketches. Might be advantageous to vacate the title and collect votes on the sketch that the owner thinks is the best.

In the above scenario, can the current champion vacate the title? Otherwise, he risks splitting votes between his sketches. Might be advantageous to vacate the title and collect votes on the sketch that the owner thinks is the best.

No that would not be allowed. Pease keep in mind that in the event of a playoff, the playoff happens first, and once it is over only the winner of the playoff proceeds to take on the reigning champ.

I went ahead and said no, I get why people are asking for it. But I feel that I voted for that sketch to be the best. Not the owner, this isnt highschool I am not voting for prom king or queen.

When I make a vote I could careless who the owner is or that they are getting the title. I vote for the art plain and simple. If they feel they have a better sketch then they should have used that to get the title. If they picked it up after they won the title then they should be looking forward to being able to show it off and reclaim their crown if they happen to lose it.

I mean if I buy a best of the best winner I dont expect to see the person still sporting the tag in their sig line when they no longer own the sketch.

I voted no as well, but you brought up a good point as well Doug. Devils advocate here, if I wanted a best of badge, couldn't I just buy one by buying a best of sketch?

so all the hard work, conventions, contacting the artists, dialogues, communications, etc. really means nothing since I can just Paypal it over and get a badge. food for thought, my small 2c

I voted no as well, but you brought up a good point as well Doug. Devils advocate here, if I wanted a best of badge, couldn't I just buy one by buying a best of sketch?

so all the hard work, conventions, contacting the artists, dialogues, communicatiopns, etc. really means nothing since I can just Paypal it over and get a badge. food for thought, my small 2c

Oh I completely agree with you Mike I dont think it is a sporting thing to do. But this is best of the best * insert character here* which is what I vote for. I dont really consider what the person went through to get the sketch. Honestly several of these are sketch opp sketches which like you pointed out before is a lot of work on the opp runner and not much on the owner. 9 times out of 10 when I vote its based on the art or artist in some combination. I mean for the right amount of money most things can be obtained so I try never to consider anything beyond those 2 things when looking at these contests.

I went ahead and said no, I get why people are asking for it. But I feel that I voted for that sketch to be the best. Not the owner, this isnt highschool I am not voting for prom king or queen.

When I make a vote I could careless who the owner is or that they are getting the title. I vote for the art plain and simple. If they feel they have a better sketch then they should have used that to get the title. If they picked it up after they won the title then they should be looking forward to being able to show it off and reclaim their crown if they happen to lose it.

I mean if I buy a best of the best winner I dont expect to see the person still sporting the tag in their sig line when they no longer own the sketch.

That is not my point at all that you are voting for the owner.

When you vote for a sketch you are usually voting for a sketch that was selected because of the owner's choice.

My point is that if challenged the owner should have a choice again in how they choose to defend.

When you vote for a sketch you are usually voting for a sketch that was selected because of the owner's choice.

My point is that if challenged the owner should have a choice again in how they choose to defend.

I understand your point but I disagree that they should have the right to pick a sketch out of their stable. The crown was given to them for the votes they earned by the sketch they put up. I dont really feel that pulling the old switch-a-roo is the right way to go about it. If you get challenged and you lose you can rechallenge with your other sketch.

The facts are pretty straight forward to me, you select a sketch you add it to the contest either in the beginning or as a challenger. People then vote if your sketch wins they voted for that sketch to the be the best. Not a sketch you still have sitting at home in your collection or one that you will have finished at some point in the future.

Plus as a challenger is also gives you a disadvantage when you try to challenge as you never know what you would be going up against.

I understand your point but I disagree that they should have the right to pick a sketch out of their stable. The crown was given to them for the votes they earned by the sketch they put up. I dont really feel that pulling the old switch-a-roo is the right way to go about it. If you get challenged and you lose you can rechallenge with your other sketch.

The facts are pretty straight forward to me, you select a sketch you add it to the contest either in the beginning or as a challenger. People then vote if your sketch wins they voted for that sketch to the be the best. Not a sketch you still have sitting at home in your collection or one that you will have finished at some point in the future.

Plus as a challenger is also gives you a disadvantage when you try to challenge as you never know what you would be going up against.

I agree with this, but you guys are huge dorks for going through all these machinations.

so all the hard work, conventions, contacting the artists, dialogues, communicatiopns, etc. really means nothing since I can just Paypal it over and get a badge. food for thought, my small 2c

Oh I completely agree with you Mike I dont think it is a sporting thing to do. But this is best of the best * insert character here* which is what I vote for. I dont really consider what the person went through to get the sketch. Honestly several of these are sketch opp sketches which like you pointed out before is a lot of work on the opp runner and not much on the owner. 9 times out of 10 when I vote its based on the art or artist in some combination. I mean for the right amount of money most things can be obtained so I try never to consider anything beyond those 2 things when looking at these contests.

hm

I understand and respect your perspective bud (thumbs u

hm

I understand and respect your perspective bud (thumbs u

:foryou:

I agree with this, but you guys are huge dorks for going through all these machinations.

lol +1 I concede lol