• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I being unreasonable/ an a**hole for leaving negative

57 posts in this topic

It seems that nowadays that it is more wrong to point out what somebody did wrong that the wrong that was done. I have gotten many books that were shipped without cardboard, shipped in a brown paper bag, shipped sandwiched between cereal box cardboard and shoe box cardboard, 50 comics in a padded envelope, etc. I have had some complete nightmares and most of the sellers think they did a stellar job and there is something wrong with me for not accepting it. I will not hesitate to leave sellers like this either a NEUT or NEG as the transaction was not a positive one.

I have also had people try to tell me that the feedback I leave isn't right nor fair to the seller, but they don't consider how unfair it is to the buyer to have to go through this circus of events just for a comic books. Oh yeah, my favorite is, "all this trouble over a $3.00 auction". It's about the principle of the transaction and not about the amount of the transaction.

my question then is when writing the person did you explain what they did wrong and how they could have possibly fixed it with shipping a different way or something to that effect

with mine i just told them what they did wrong and how easy it was for the book to be damaged, i bought from a comic shop so didn't fell i would need to explain how to fix their shipping mistake (prob did anyway though)

Yes, I did and most of the time the treat me like I have a problem and am either being picky or taking it out on them. To many I have dealt with who think that they did a stellar job no matter how much I try to explain it to them that they didn't.

I bought 5 books on eBay in "nm" condition from a very large dealer w/ 100% feedback. I felt comfortable due to the rating. When I got the books one had a 2" stain going through the back cover into most of the book, there were edge tears, creases, multiple large spine dings/ crease, and the books were literally dirty (you know that gritty feel when you touch comics stored in garages etc.) The books arrive in a legal envelope between two thin pieces of cardboard.

I notified the seller that the books were worthless and outside the standards for my collection. I can find these for 25 cents each at the lcs in this grade. He did offer a partial refund or return for a full refund. I let him know that I didn't want either. Part of the reason I felt wasted my time and even if I got all the money I still would need to go out get packing material and drive down to the post office and waste more of my time.

I figured I would chalk it up to another ebay loss and forget about it.

Couple days later looking at the books I thought about how many others buy based on the feedback and then are disappointed like I was and never do anything about. So I neg'd him. I got another email asking to remove the feedback and he would give me a full refund and allow me to keep the books. Its been a couple days and I haven't responded.

I realize that this is how most dealers maintain their feedback at 100% and lure more buyers in. At this point I am inclined to leave the feedback as is so other potential buyers can know that his grading can be off rather than take the money. As a buyer I look at the negs to see what past problems may arise if I buy something. To wipe a record clean for a few bucks seems wrong.

Has anyone else taken a "hit" on eBay and left honest feedback as is to notify potential buyers?

If the seller tried to make amends by refunding you and letting you keep the books for free, I don't think a negative or neutral is necessary. We don't always have to be eBay police. We all make mistakes and he was willing to give you the books for free, so I would have just not left feedback at all.

Good for you. :applause: I don't buy books anymore on Ebay,because of the fact that you can't trust anyone there.I do look on Ebay for price trends,but unless it's someone from the boards(that's pre arranged) I don't buy there. ;)

They are many fine sellers on the bay.Adam(filter81),Dale roberts,Harley,

and many others.You just have to be careful (thumbs u

I don't know, the seller offered the refund before any mention of a negative.

While I agree with the OP's sentiments. Isn't feedback supposed to be for your transaction? Seems like we are getting into how the feedback will shape his business.

I just feel a Neg is not the right thing to do. I wouldn't buy from him again, but he did offer to make it right.

I just feel a Neg is not the right thing to do. I wouldn't buy from him again, but he did offer to make it right.

I am in a bit of agreement here - he offers to make it right, but as the OP mentioned, it was a complete pain in the @ss to deal with it in the first place.

When I engage someone in a particular business, I am paying for that person's expertise. If they don't have the expertise to handle the transaction or produce what is expected, I think then a negative feedback is justified.

I think there are so many half-@ssers out on Ebay, that the collective social attitude is that "trying" to do things correctly is the same as "doing" things correctly. If we had loftier expectations, and voiced it when they weren't met - we'd have a lot less insufficiently_thoughtful_persons out there.

"ASM 129 - No Water Damage - Huge coffee wring on the back that wasn't visible in the picture since the flash washed out the apparent discolouration."

You didn't specifically ask about coffee damage though, did you? In some circles that adds provenance. What if it was Ross Andru's cup of joe that did the damage? Better yet, Stan Lee???

"Loc: Montgomery, TX Buying comics on Ebay can be a real crapshoot! It is still possible to roll all 7's and end up with better books than described, but that can be a somewhat rare event these days. Unfortunately there seems to be high number of sellers on Ebay that seem to be happy to stack the odds against the buyers (suckers)."

Definitely all over the place, I bought roughly 100 or so BA books from one big seller out of his store, all $1-$1.25 a few years back, all described as "Fine", but the scans looked pretty good, so I said what the heck. Average grade: 9.4, including 3 gorgeous copies of Avengers 125. I think he realized he had skrewed up at some point as one day he changed the listing over to Nm and had them at OPG prices.

I am sometimes a little suspicious of people who want something for free though. Was he offering to pay return shipping? You could always try to repack in his warpping/envelope and mark it return to sender if we're talking about cheap stuff.

I bought 5 books on eBay in "nm" condition from a very large dealer w/ 100% feedback. I felt comfortable due to the rating. When I got the books one had a 2" stain going through the back cover into most of the book, there were edge tears, creases, multiple large spine dings/ crease, and the books were literally dirty (you know that gritty feel when you touch comics stored in garages etc.) The books arrive in a legal envelope between two thin pieces of cardboard.

I notified the seller that the books were worthless and outside the standards for my collection. I can find these for 25 cents each at the lcs in this grade. He did offer a partial refund or return for a full refund. I let him know that I didn't want either. Part of the reason I felt wasted my time and even if I got all the money I still would need to go out get packing material and drive down to the post office and waste more of my time.

I figured I would chalk it up to another ebay loss and forget about it.

Couple days later looking at the books I thought about how many others buy based on the feedback and then are disappointed like I was and never do anything about. So I neg'd him. I got another email asking to remove the feedback and he would give me a full refund and allow me to keep the books. Its been a couple days and I haven't responded.

I realize that this is how most dealers maintain their feedback at 100% and lure more buyers in. At this point I am inclined to leave the feedback as is so other potential buyers can know that his grading can be off rather than take the money. As a buyer I look at the negs to see what past problems may arise if I buy something. To wipe a record clean for a few bucks seems wrong.

Has anyone else taken a "hit" on eBay and left honest feedback as is to notify potential buyers?

The seller just should have either given you the full refund because who the hell makes up a story like that or even if they said they wanted the books back pay for your return shipping as well. My 100% feedback is way more important then a few $$ on a book that as a long term ebay they should have caught. Sometime I guess they just make mistakes in volume.