• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Con Display

20 posts in this topic

I've been looking at this and thinking about a display rack. My concern is bumps could knock books off even with strings. Has anyone tried using small hooks with spring clamps to let the books hang from the PVC? I was thinking about using mylar archives so the clamps would not be close to the book. This way, someone could bump the rack all they want and the books won't fall off. Also, I was thinking about clamping the rack to a folding table and going up four feet or so. That way the space under the rack would not be wasted. It could hold long boxes or supplies and what-not. Any thoughts?

I've been looking at this and thinking about a display rack. My concern is bumps could knock books off even with strings. Has anyone tried using small hooks with spring clamps to let the books hang from the PVC? I was thinking about using mylar archives so the clamps would not be close to the book. This way, someone could bump the rack all they want and the books won't fall off. Also, I was thinking about clamping the rack to a folding table and going up four feet or so. That way the space under the rack would not be wasted. It could hold long boxes or supplies and what-not. Any thoughts?

You're inviting damage by using clamps. If you're so clumsy that you're worried about taking a tumble through the comic rack, you might consider keeping your books in boxes.

:baiting:

You're inviting damage by using clamps. If you're so clumsy that you're worried about taking a tumble through the comic rack, you might consider keeping your books in boxes.

:baiting:

Or perhaps staying sober hm I like to let buyers come back and browse the books but I've heard horror stories. Perhaps it's not as much of a problem as I imagine.

You can also buy some of those rubbermaid metal wire closet shelves. They have a natural lip on them that is perfect for resting comics on and would be easy to attach onto the PVC. Let me see if I can find a pic of one...

Edit: these shelves - Link

You put the long part up on the PVC as the back and the small lip as the shelf, like an L. That works great for displaying books and you can tie the string or a reasonably taut rubber band or thin bungee cord right to the shelving. If you put your raw books in toploaders for display they will be well protected.

You can also buy some of those rubbermaid metal wire closet shelves. They have a natural lip on them that is perfect for resting comics on and would be easy to attach onto the PVC. Let me see if I can find a pic of one...

You put the long part up on the PVC as the back and the small lip as the shelf, like an L. That works great for displaying books and you can tie the string or a reasonably taut rubber band or thin bungee cord right to the shelving. If you put your raw books in toploaders for display they will be well protected.

I've built those too. The main problem is that they're HEAVY. The 6' shelf is 5.5 lbs. The 8' shelf which is what you really should build for a 10x10 booth is 7.16lb.

Use 6 of them sideways for six rows and you're carrying 43lbs of rack. (Before the A frame to rest them on.)

I've built those too. The main problem is that they're HEAVY. The 6' shelf is 5.5 lbs. The 8' shelf which is what you really should build for a 10x10 booth is 7.16lb.

Use 6 of them sideways for six rows and you're carrying 43lbs of rack. (Before the A frame to rest them on.)

I don't remember them as being quite that heavy, but they do add a bit of weight. You could bring it in in pieces and attach the wire shelves at the con, either by screwing them on or hanging them on screws alread in the PVC. The nice thing is that a slightly heavier rack is less likely to be knocked over. I would want to put weight on the bottom of the rack legs anyway to help with that.

43 pounds of rack on an A frame you say? hm

I don't know that it would be a bad thing. (shrug)

Saw one dealer years ago take five 4x8 sheets of particle board and hinge them all together.

He had taken velcro material and attached it to the front and back of each board and was using mylars with velcro attached to the back of each one.

He could make it free stand by bending the boards at the hinges or lean it back on a wall to be fully spread out over 20 feet or so.

Probably weight a ton folded together but it was cool to see him just toss books up and they stick like glue :)

Crazy times :)

As far as the weight goes, that's why carts were invented. A good two wheel dolly is perfect.

Well, it's not bad if you only have one booth.

If you get TWO booths though, you usually have 20' of back wall and two side walls in a 20x10 space. Each booth typically gets a free 8'x2' table.

So you'd need 3 of the 6' racks (18') or 2 of the 8' racks. The reason you'd go with two 8' racks is because that would leave you with 4' on the sides which means you could put up racks on one or both the side walls. (Your rack footprint would be about 8'x2'.)

3 racks would be over 120lbs. 2 racks over 80. That adds up if you're carrying everything in yourself...

True, but how much do boxes of comics weigh? If you are looking for lightweight then comics probably aren't it. 120 lbs to make sure folks can see your merchandise would be a good investment, imho. Plus you only move them twice, one in and one out, per show. It isn't like you are holding them for 2 days. If you're investing money in wall books to sell I'd rather protect them with 120 lbs of sturdy rack as opposed to 50 lbs of flimsy.

I've had both racks - I started with the one that uses the rubbermaid wiring shelves, and then moved on to building the PVC racks instead.

The PVC rack I'm currently using (which is later revision of the one linked above) fits in a ski bag and is just as sturdy as the wood/wire rack one - there's absolutely nothing flimsy about it even though it weighs a lot less.