• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

Fiona was asked at WonderCon if she regretted working digitally because she couldn't sell the original pages. Her answer:

"I don't really care about selling the original art. I guess my first concern is doing the comic as well as I can and as fast as I can. Working digitally is the best way I can do that…I don't want to change my process and go out of my way to [sell pages.] To me, the printed comic is the finished product. I'm lucky enough to be able to make a living just by selling 'Saga' for now. I sometimes have prints to sell. I do little sketchbooks sometimes, but no pages."

Eh, whatever. So is she saying that she really wouldn't have a career in comics if it weren't for a computer? I know there are always 'defend the creator' people on here, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it's kind of weak she can't bust it out on paper. She could do layouts digitally then print it and ink. Tons of amazing artists do this, like Mark Brooks and Ruan Ottley. She is sitting on wasted cash, wouldn't you find a way to tap it and still keep the final product solid?

Why should she cling to outdated production methods? Comics are printed from digital files so it makes way more sense to produce the art digitally.

More and more artists are going to go digital. Some older artists will switch, like Brian Bolland, and others will keep doing it their way. They will eventually be the minority as the next generation of artists comfortable with computers takes over.

Some day comics will be produced and released digitally and there wont be any paper at all. That may be a long time coming, but I believe it will probably happen in my lifetime.

Prices will come down when all the printing and everything is eliminated and maybe more people will read comics once they are easy to get and cheap once again.

By the way, I really enjoyed Saga.

Then enjoy it. I applaud her devotion to the title being a higher priority than milking it for every $ she can. I really enjoy buying Chew OA and I was one of many trying to find Saga OA initially. At the end of the day I enjoy the start of the book and that's the most important.

So I will :facepalm: now for all the graded copies I'm about to sell. Blame Krighton. He influenced me to do it. :sumo:

Eh, whatever. So is she saying that she really wouldn't have a career in comics if it weren't for a computer? I know there are always 'defend the creator' people on here, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it's kind of weak she can't bust it out on paper. She could do layouts digitally then print it and ink. Tons of amazing artists do this, like Mark Brooks and Ruan Ottley. She is sitting on wasted cash, wouldn't you find a way to tap it and still keep the final product solid?

Who knows, maybe back in the day she would not have made it as a comic artist because she would have been too slow but why not use the tools that are available? Also to note is she does all the color's. She does everything but letter SAGA.

This is from another interview:

"Fiona Staples - I work almost entirely digitally. The benefits are speed and being able to easily edit my work as I go. Also, the fact that pencils, inks and colours are all done in Photoshop makes it easier for me to integrate these three stages and go back and forth between them if I need to- for instance, make changes to my linework while I'm in the middle of colouring it."

In the end I see what you are saying but, if her working digitally means I get to read an issue of SAGA every month without being late then i'll take digital art all day. 2c

So you guys are not going to stop and look at this from a business sense, just going to defend away? Ok, maybe Adam Hughes and JSC should just go all digital since its the new way to do it and paper is outdated. Tony Moore should have done all his WD art digitally too.

And when it comes to commissions...anyone ever received one? I'm not talking a quick sketch in your sketchbook either.

Then enjoy it. I applaud her devotion to the title being a higher priority than milking it for every $ she can. I really enjoy buying Chew OA and I was one of many trying to find Saga OA initially. At the end of the day I enjoy the start of the book and that's the most important.

So I will :facepalm: now for all the graded copies I'm about to sell. Blame Krighton. He influenced me to do it. :sumo:

What if Rob went only digital?

I think you are the one looking at it from a business sense and Fiona is looking at it from an artistic point of view. She wants to create art and has a passion to create comics. Most artist's have a passion to create, not to make money. The money would be secondary to them. If they wanted to make money they would be in a different business.

I agree with you that financially it would be wise for her to do her work in a way that allowed her to sell OA but I wonder what it would her cut in the end would be.

At the moment she is getting paid for all the art. If she did it on paper then she might have to get an inker + colorist involved. I'm confused a little bit with what the argument is? Are we saying that digital artists do not have the same talent as pencil + paper?

Then I wouldn't own any Chew OA.

Then I wouldn't own any Chew OA.

:ohnoez: