• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

I vote for better than tolerable, but not amazing. 2c

So, is that about a 7.5-8.0?

hm

Maybe 8.5. One thing I'll give FS credit for -- I never have to stare at the panels, or scan back a couple panels repeatedly to figure out wtf is going on. (thumbs u

Love FS art :cloud9:

She has a distinct style to her art so it makes sense that some people might not love it.

I went back and read Mystery Society which was drawn by her. Really enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to seeing what the art is like at like issue 10 or 12.

So far the covers have all been fantastic. Whoever is doing the color/scheme logo's on the front for the book is killing it. :golfclap:

I'm already imaging a really nice hardcover collection!

Love FS art :cloud9:

She has a distinct style to her art so it makes sense that some people might not love it.

I went back and read Mystery Society which was drawn by her. Really enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to seeing what the art is like at like issue 10 or 12.

So far the covers have all been fantastic. Whoever is doing the color/scheme logo's on the front for the book is killing it. :golfclap:

I'm already imaging a really nice hardcover collection!

It's a UK design company called Fonografiks

http://fonografiks.deviantart.com/

They also did the Severed logo's

tolerable is one step away from sucks.

OK well I wasn't thinking that badly of it, I guess I was tolerating looking at talking ostriches or whatever that thing was, and people with tv heads like nothing was the matter.

even with only 2 issues it's easy to tell it's a 'Saga'.

And it was easy to tell in the summer of 1990 that Kevin Maas was headed straight to Cooperstown. ;)

That's not a logical analogy insofar as BKV has prior legit hits, but I agree with the premise that it is premature to conclude that Saga is the next big thing (ditto for Thief of Thieves and every other Image book that has been awesome, but all of those books that have been awesome are still awesome).

even with only 2 issues it's easy to tell it's a 'Saga'.

And it was easy to tell in the summer of 1990 that Kevin Maas was headed straight to Cooperstown. ;)

That's not a logical analogy insofar as BKV has prior legit hits, but I agree with the premise that it is premature to conclude that Saga is the next big thing (ditto for Thief of Thieves and every other Image book that has been awesome, but all of those books that have been awesome are still awesome).

True... the analogy is somewhat loose... :grin:

Just noting the rush to judgement...

“Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man”

Jack Handy

As an Englishman from a working class background, I am quite happy in the appropriate setting to swear like a trooper. I think that Anglo Saxon swearwords are things of rare beauty when used correctly.

For some reason though, I find Brian K Vaughn's use of the F and C words a little jarring and unnecessary. He sometimes seems to crowbar the C word in particular into comics, just because he can or because he feels it is making a statement, or seeking within the framework of a comic book to break a taboo of some kind.

I noticed it in Y and Saga, and it takes something away from his otherwise excellent writing IMHO.

Just a thought.

As an Englishman from a working class background, I am quite happy in the appropriate setting to swear like a trooper. I think that Anglo Saxon swearwords are things of rare beauty when used correctly.

For some reason though, I find Brian K Vaughn's use of the F and C words a little jarring and unnecessary. He sometimes seems to crowbar the C word in particular into comics, just because he can or because he feels it is making a statement, or seeking within the framework of a comic book to break a taboo of some kind.

I noticed it in Y and Saga, and it takes something away from his otherwise excellent writing IMHO.

Just a thought.

Garth Ennis is the best at making swearing work in a comic.

Just a thought.

Garth Ennis is the best at making swearing work in a comic.

He's certainly the most prolific. Billy Butcher and Kev Hawkins have the best of his sweary dialogue.

Just a thought.

BKV's characters swear like young people across the river do when they talk. It is actually a little jarring to us when we read it the same way it is when we actually listen to outselves and aren't saying it. When we say it, it just comes out and it's actually un-noticed. That's just my opinion based upon my observation. Ennis is much more extreme than BKV. I'm one of the few people who couldn't get into the Boys when I went back and read it in TPB form. I'm by no stretch of the imagination a prude, but I think some times we hope for a youthful nostalgia in comics that can be rocked by its closeness to reality, maturity, etc. Just my humble opinion and I've been wrong before. lol

Read Preacher. He hit his peak. It's all downhill from there.

+1

I tried The Boys and couldn't get past the first issue. Ennis' Preacher had heart which I find lacking in his more recent works.

Read Preacher. He hit his peak. It's all downhill from there.

I disagree. Leaving aside The Boys, which I love but accept is pretty polarising, have you read Battlefields? Some great stuff - totally different pacing and less deliberately shocking.

Jennifer Blood was absolute rubbish though.