• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billy Wright FYI....

89 posts in this topic

nice art collection batman- fan, impressive. Now when it comes to comics, If you are interested in where I am coming from, check out the jack kirby collector "the wonder years issue" one of the best written pieces ever about growing up with comics, a second book was the Dave Stevens book he wrote and which was released after he died, I see of lot me in him, in fact he gave me some pretty cool stuff over the years. You just had to be there and it is hard to explain, the early days of comic book shops,etc etc

I grew up on the best and I guess from your viewpoint I am still growing up.

Mitch, the problem I have is you come on the board talking down to everyone like none of us know anything and just started collecting yesterday. I have been collecting non stop since 1972 so 40 years. I could write several long books on the stuff I wish I had bought. You telling me I will regret not buying all the Billy books is not insightful. I look back at the old Sotheby auction catalogs and wish I had bought a lot of the OA listed in it but I wasn't buying OA back then. I still look at some of the early Heritage auctions and think the same thing. I missed buying one of my splashes two times before finally acquiring it for a lot more than I would have paid had I bought it the first time. You aren't telling me or just about anyone else on the boards anything they don't already know.

+1

Plus MM how many times are you going to give your "you should have listened to me" speach just to be proved wrong again and again. then have to apologize. You Derail thread after thread with your nonsense. Im sure Steve started this to have "mister know it all" talk about how he is the KING OF COMICS. Again i feel you have no idea how you are coming across on here at all (apperently you dont like making friends)

batman fan.....this is your comic book "daddy" talking, I mean how long have you collected based on your screen, you were not even born when I bought FF off the stands for 10cents.

Now I know, its hard, when you are faced with reality, and this collection is hard core, and is pedigree all the way. It is rare to buy the comic books for the FIRST time and not second hand at inflated prices

When they hit resale market...just wait, these prices paid today will seem cheap.

Face it, accept it, and Mannnup and buy it.....time will tell in the "billy books"

Mitch;

Your above comment which I have highlighted in bold is not necessarily true! :o

All you need do is to take a look back at many of the named collections which Heritage has auctioned off amid much fanfare and hype. This has ranged from the David Toth collection to the Nicholas Cage collection right through to the Church run of GA Green Lanterns.

The hype and nice specialized auction catalogues for these collections resulted in the books selling at the top of market. When many of these books came back out for subsequent resale, they were only able to go for a substantial discount to the original auction price. So your theory about inflated prices on the second go-round does not necessarily hold true. Sure, it'll be true in the long term as it would for any other GA book, but not necessarily the case in the short and/or mid-term.

I believe the key is to MANNUP on the right books, as a rising tide doesn't necessarily lift all boats as some of them will end up going under. And the same will happen with these books from the Billy Wright collection. hm

Lou, this quality material available this auction and this years is unique. Just look at the frank robinson collection, the finest pulp collection ever brought to auction this month. Once the good stuff is gone, its gone for a long time, Billy books are not gonna be around in one shot like this. The time to get your stuff is NOW

nice art collection batman- fan, impressive. Now when it comes to comics, If you are interested in where I am coming from, check out the jack kirby collector "the wonder years issue" one of the best written pieces ever about growing up with comics, a second book was the Dave Stevens book he wrote and which was released after he died, I see of lot me in him, in fact he gave me some pretty cool stuff over the years. You just had to be there and it is hard to explain, the early days of comic book shops,etc etc

Mitch, the problem I have is you come on the board talking down to everyone like none of us know anything and just started collecting yesterday. I have been collecting non stop since 1972 so 40 years. I could write several long books on the stuff I wish I had bought. You telling me I will regret not buying all the Billy books is not insightful. I look back at the old Sotheby auction catalogs and wish I had bought a lot of the OA listed in it but I wasn't buying OA back then. I still look at some of the early Heritage auctions and think the same thing. I missed buying one of my splashes two times before finally acquiring it for a lot more than I would have paid had I bought it the first time. You aren't telling me or just about anyone else on the boards anything they don't already know.

hm I think it would be super nice if a bunch of us collecting geeks got together for drinks at SDCC. I'm sure that Mitch would enjoy meeting folks he regularly discusses comics with on these boards. I've never seen any communication problems that couldn't be easily resolved by a little friendly person to person interaction and some good ale.

Just my 2c

hm I think it would be super nice if a bunch of us collecting geeks got together for drinks at SDCC. I'm sure that Mitch would enjoy meeting folks he regularly discusses comics with on these boards. I've never seen any communication problems that couldn't be easily resolved by a little friendly person to person interaction and some good ale.

Just my 2c

I've seen some good ale contribute to some fistfights too (shrug)

:jokealert:

Lou, this quality material available this auction and this years is unique. Just look at the frank robinson collection, the finest pulp collection ever brought to auction this month. Once the good stuff is gone, its gone for a long time, Billy books are not gonna be around in one shot like this. The time to get your stuff is NOW

I'm looking at the Frank Robinson collection and it's mind blowing. I'll be MANNING UP for sure.

I'm looking at the Frank Robinson collection and it's mind blowing. I'll be MANNING UP for sure.

Is there a link to some scans? I'd love to see them in all their glory!

Just my 2c

It's a kindly thought. Wish I could make it to SDCC - not this year certainly. Is Manchester on the European book tour?

Mitch, we all get the message! There are many smart, experienced people here. Not saying I am one of them, but I've been collecting since 1959, when DC's were first imported into the UK. I'm willing to bet that Jon Berk and many others around here predated me.

I think there is a real possibility that the Bily Wright books will fail to hold there overall value in the short to medium term as lou fine says, and in many cases even in the longterm. Anyone who pays Mile High scale prices will likely find that they dont have Mile High caché.

I think it is wrong to make sweeping statements with such urgency. I think we will begin to see a landslide of original owner collections in the next few years.

What is interesting about the Billy Wright collection to many of us is the cluster of truly rare books among them. Would you even know which books beyond the obvious keys these might be I wonder?

Not many peds ever generate the excitement you get when they are first auctioned. They are the new hot thing but eventually the quality of the books is what determines resale value. Crippens are almost invariably cheaper now than they were when first offered. Mile Highs and San Frans hold their value. Time will tell on the Billy Wright books.

Just my 2c

I would make the trip to SDCC just for the opportunity to see this meeting. But only provided Mitch continues dropping these pearls:

batman fan.....this is your comic book "daddy" talking, I mean how long have you collected based on your screen, you were not even born when I bought FF off the stands for 10cents.

Now I know, its hard, when you are faced with reality, and this collection is hard core, and is pedigree all the way. It is rare to buy the comic books for the FIRST time and not second hand at inflated prices

When they hit resale market...just wait, these prices paid today will seem cheap.

Face it, accept it, and Mannnup and buy it.....time will tell in the "billy books"

Just my 2c

I'll be there.

:headbang:

We need to start an "Ask Mitch Mehdy" thread :wishluck: I predict it will be the greatest thread ever. Insight like this needs to be shared (thumbs u

We need to start an "Ask Mitch Mehdy" thread :wishluck: I predict it will be the greatest thread ever. Insight like this needs to be shared (thumbs u

Yes, but it should be shared with all in Comics General. (thumbs u

Doing it here will not educate the masses as fully as doing it in COMICS GENERAL.

I would certainly DO IT IN COMICS GENERAL.

Yes sir, that's where I would do it............ >>>>>>IN COMICS GENERAL. <<<<<<<<

Doing it here will not educate the masses as fully as doing it in COMICS GENERAL.

Yes sir, that's where I would do it............IN COMICS GENERAL. <<<<<<<<

I concur. Why keep his pearls of wisdom all to ourselves, when everybody in Comic General would benefit as well.

Yes sir, that's where I would do it............ >>>>>>IN COMICS GENERAL. <<<<<<<<

Mitch posting in CG :luhv:

That's all very well but why wont you say where you would share it?